Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I just restored to a working date and still not working

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Access to the admin completely depends on what exactly has been restored. If you have restored your files AND your database back to that point in time, then the first solution is to use the login credentials that applied at that point. If only the files were restored, then access would be obtained using your most recent admin credentials. If all else fails, then: How do I change or reset my Admin Password? (I lost it)
    Just tried to go back to a known working date. March 5. Restored files and database.
    Still my root site not up!!!!! How can this be???? Servers fault??

Do you guys think I should rebuild a new site and import my data?

Or just work on errors?

Plugin Contributions

Try this:
    Create a file in the root of where your store is.
    For example call it: test.php

In that file paste the following:
    Code:
    <?php 
    echo 'I work';
    Access the file by going to your site's uri/test.php

You should see the words: I work on your screen.

If that works then perhaps the quickest resolution would be to upload a clean set of files, add/merge your plugins, keep the existing includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files. If it doesn't work then there is something more related with your main site folder/files. I forget is there an .htaccess in the root of your store?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Forgot to mention, if you rebuild the files of the site, then there really should be no need to "transfer" your database. It's already upgraded to 1.5.4 and contains (or did contain) all of the data related to your store.

But, defiinitely make a backup of your database if haven't already.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by spawnie69 View Post
    Just tried to go back to a known working date. March 5. Restored files and database.
    Still my root site not up!!!!! How can this be???? Servers fault??

Do you guys think I should rebuild a new site and import my data?

Or just work on errors?
    As I've said before, after a restore, delete the /logs/*.log files .. (and in your case also the /cache/*.log files for reasons discussed already) and then look at what the errors are.

ALSO: restoring doesn't necessarily delete files that were added since the backup you're restoring from. Maybe there are additional files on your server that don't belong, causing troubles.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Try this:
    Create a file in the root of where your store is.
    For example call it: test.php

In that file paste the following:
    Code:
    <?php 
    echo 'I work';
    Access the file by going to your site's uri/test.php

You should see the words: I work on your screen.

If that works then perhaps the quickest resolution would be to upload a clean set of files, add/merge your plugins, keep the existing includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files. If it doesn't work then there is something more related with your main site folder/files. I forget is there an .htaccess in the root of your store?
    I can see http://gelcandlecompany.com/test.php

I do have an .htaccess file in my public html folder
    When doing a clean set should I create a subfolder name? or should just upload a fresh batch of 1.54 files over my files?
    Thanks you very much.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    As I've said before, after a restore, delete the /logs/*.log files .. (and in your case also the /cache/*.log files for reasons discussed already) and then look at what the errors are.

ALSO: restoring doesn't necessarily delete files that were added since the backup you're restoring from. Maybe there are additional files on your server that don't belong, causing troubles.
    Yes, gotcha delete logs in my cache folder after restoring.
    No files were added since the restore point that Im aware of.

Plugin Contributions

Considering the state of affairs and my current perception of operations and what seems like a lack of comparison tools, I personally would more than likely take the existing files and "relocate" them out of the way, but maintain them for comparison in rebuilding the template.

I would back up the database (preferrably as it was before backtracking it in the past so that those two orders would be in it), then I would load all of the files to the now current location from a fresh install. But not go through the zc_install process. I would then place the two configure.php files in their rightful place and continue loading the template/plugins. Making a backup before beginning each such install/building a second set of files in parallel...

But, that all said, there are FAQs to address each little step. Between setting up a new store in a new directory independent of the existing, to moving/renaming the folder if you wanted to start in a sub-directory, to creating a development site where you can try to install things, make mistakes and not affect your business for how many days? Etc... Each such FAQ does things one "step" at a time are descriptive and to the point.

My suggestion above is mostly to do the crash rebuild to get back online asap considering that the database is there (hopefully fully intact) so it seems as a matter of restoring the fileset to what it should be without extra (unknown) files.

Plugin Contributions

Considering the state of affairs and my current perception of operations and what seems like a lack of comparison tools, I personally would more than likely take the existing files and "relocate" them out of the way, but maintain them for comparison in rebuilding the template.
    I like this idea. if you guys have the patience with me.

I would back up the database (preferably as it was before backtracking it in the past so that those two orders would be in it), then I would load all of the files to the now current location from a fresh install. But not go through the zc_install process.
    Paste my fresh zc 1.54 file set over my root files? gotcha.

I would then place the two configure.php files in their rightful place and continue loading the template/plugins. Making a backup before beginning each such install/building a second set of files in parallel...
    But, that all said, there are FAQs to address each little step. Between setting up a new store in a new directory independent of the existing, to moving/renaming the folder if you wanted to start in a sub-directory, to creating a development site where you can try to install things, make mistakes and not affect your business for how many days? Etc... Each such FAQ does things one "step" at a time are descriptive and to the point.

My suggestion above is mostly to do the crash rebuild to get back online asap considering that the database is there (hopefully fully intact) so it seems as a matter of restoring the fileset to what it should be without extra (unknown) files.

Plugin Contributions

Paste my fresh zc 1.54 file set over my root files? gotcha.
    No, this is not what I said... Move the files out of the folder, that way as you build/rebuild the fileset of files you have only the files needed for your site... As stated a page or so ago by DrByte it would appear that there are other files present that may be interfering with the total process... Overwriting existing files and not removing extra files does nothing to solve that problem.

As to the patience aspect, technically just about anyone on this forum would support following any posted (FAQ) process to the end. Start going down some deviation (some of what I suggested) and then things get hairy and likely to get advised to follow the documented process(es). Yes I would say I am somewhat talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I also have been able to diagnose my own issues and sometimes I. Get bit and have to redo something, but I have no one to blaim but myself because I could consistently 100% of the time follow one of the documented processes... But as someone I know would say, well I don't want to rock the boat but would basically advise to keep one's mind engaged, understand how things work, current conditions and desired goal... But I digress again. (When was the last time THAT didn't happen? )

Plugin Contributions

Well said.

Gotcha take the files out. I'll place into a folder.
    Then I'll paste fresh 1.54 zc files in my root.
    Then partially run zc install making sure the configure files are set to my backed up known to be working SQL. Then I hopeful!lly should be able to see my site and start fresh and install my add ons except the ones that have overwrites.

Does this sound like a plan?

Thanks

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast