Page 86 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Responsive Classic (built in to Zen Cart v1.5.5) [Support Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Are you sure it's 100% identical? As I mentioned in the other thread, it might be file encoding issue. Can you try the following, please:
    #1 - rename your includes/templates/responsive_classic/common dirrectory to common_old (you're just making a backup)
    #2 - upload includes/templates/responsive_classic/common from an original file set to the directory above
    Refresh the page and see what happens.
    hello....thanks for replying....
    I did as you suggested ...renaming and adding a new common folder...
    but it didnt fix it...
    How about I reload the responsive_classic template?.......how do I do that?
    just move folders over ?

Plugin Contributions

Is there a way to use the responsive_classic as the template default and then have a custom template that overrides responsive_classic ?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Responsive Classic is the default template. Here's our recommendation if you are going to use Responsive Classic:
    1. Start with Zen Cart and unmodified responsive_classic (hereafter RC)
    2. Use lat9's clone a template to clone RC to responsive_base (hereafter RB)
    3. Use the color change mod to create your colors in RB
    4. Clone the color-changed RB to YOUR_TEMPLATE (where YOUR_TEMPLATE is whatever name you want for a final template.)
    5. Proceed to make changes to your site's layout.

What this does is leave the responsive_classic (RC) untouched for emergency testing. It also leaves a colored copy (RC) available for short term testing. And, you have a base comparison of RC to YOUR_TEMPLATE to check when things go bump in the night.

Several of our customers take a finished YOUR_TEMPLATE and clone it into valentines, easter, july4, thanks, christmas, etc and swap them out at the appropriate time. Seems like a good idea for a mod: scheduled template changes. hmmmm
    Last edited by swguy; 21 Apr 2020 at 08:56 PM.

Plugin Contributions

If some nice person were to take the above post (leaving out the last sentence), expand it a bit and submit it as a FAQ, I would be most grateful.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I am interested in the color change mod mentioned above but the link in the post goes to an error message. Can you repost the link to that?

Much appreciated!
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Links fixed.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Responsive Classic is the default template. Here's our recommendation if you are going to use Responsive Classic:
    1. Start with Zen Cart and unmodified responsive_classic (hereafter RC)
    2. Use lat9's clone a template to clone RC to responsive_base (hereafter RB)
    3. Use the color change mod to create your colors in RB
    4. Clone the color-changed RB to YOUR_TEMPLATE (where YOUR_TEMPLATE is whatever name you want for a final template.)
    5. Proceed to make changes to your site's layout.
    DB,

Thanks for the quick response.

With this method, does this leave me with a YOUR_TEMPLATE containing all of responsive_classic overrides within?

Thanks?

Plugin Contributions

YOUR_TEMPLATE is whatever you decide to name it and, yes, in the example it would contain a modified responsive_classic with the final color selections for your site.

For example, you could name it awesome_dawson, davdaw, or anything that you will remember.

You could even clone at any point that would help you test by reverting to a previous template. if you wanted a color-modded version in place for testing, that would make it:
    1. responsive_classic - untouched.
    2. responsive_base - a cloned responsive_classic.
    3. responsive_color - a cloned responsive_base that's been color-modded.
    4. YOUR_TEMPLATE - a clone of responsive_color for creating shop layout.

I will often clone again before installing a mod like One Page Checkout or any other mod that is going to affect the layout of the site. A clone really doesn't take much space but sure is helpful for incremental testing.

Plugin Contributions

DB,

I was using YOUR_TEMPLATE for the purpose of the example. Although, awesome_dawson is pretty sweet ;)

I was just hoping by now that ZenCart had a more elegant way to build off the responsive template. I generally with cms like to use the least number of override files as possible. In my view, this keeps things simple, specially when performing upgrades.

I have been using ZenCart for a long time and it is my choice for anything e-commerce related, I don’t think anything could ever change that. I can only imagine that the antiquated and non responsive state of the template_default would be a turn off to new users. Having to install these mods to accomplish this kinda bloats things up and can be confusing for new users.

Although I would have quite a few wish list items for the override system, at the very least, make responsive_classic the template_default. Or a way to select which template becomes the base.

Thank You for the link to the mods.

~D

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by djdavedawson View Post
    Although I would have quite a few wish list items for the override system, at the very least, make responsive_classic the template_default. Or a way to select which template becomes the base.
    I am presently working on clarifying terms with templates since the inclusion of responsive_classic.

Classic:
    Classic template started as the "get it running quick" template to demonstrate what a fully optional cart could look like. Before the need for responsive templates, it could be used (with maybe a few color changes) to get a site up and selling as soon as possible.

With the advent of mobiles, tablets, etc.; responsive_classic was born.

Template_Default:

Template_default is not the template_default. Never has been. It should be named template_repository to be more accurate. It is not designed to be used as a presentation template. In versions before responsive_classic was added it did come up first in order to graphically point out where changes could be made. It points out (incompletely) what files can be used to create a custom template. It is not complete without lat9's template override sheet as an additional guide.

Think of it as a filing cabinet holding examples of letters used in a business. You might have more than one division in your business with each having its own logo, colors, address, phone, etc.

Your "override" in this case would be to take a form, add the correct logo, etc and then store the forms in the file cabinet for the company they belong with. Your automated system would get the specific forms from the new cabinet and the generic forms from the "default" cabinet.

After all, if the same form is used for all companies, why have it take up space in several file cabinets.

Responsive_Classic:
    Responsive_classic is currently the template that's presented with the initial install of Zen Cart. Until it is cloned, another template is installed, replaced with another template, or the user wants to use Classic; the responsive_classic template is the one to build on. As mentioned earlier, I think it's best to clone responsive_classic at several levels for troubleshooting.

Template Selection:
    Once you have cloned, added, or created a new YOUR_TMEPLATE; the template selection is made in the Admin's Tools menu under Template Selection. In order for any template to show up as a selection, it must at least have an includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php file with the required information. Otherwise the template will not show up as a selection. Many forget this when creating their own template.

Overrides:
    No matter what template is used, it generally does not use all the files in the folders of the template_default. But, as you change one of the template_default (base) files, you would save it to YOUR_TEMPLATE in the proper directory. That way, the next time the cart looks for the file, it will be in the current template's directory. It also provides an excellent way to see what files have been upgraded from the time the cart was installed.

Maybe that better explains what Zen Cart is talking about in each case.

NOTE:
    Store-bought templates are seldom built using standard Zen Cart practices and will seldom work beyond their initial installation. One simple change can run in to files added to the store-bought that go against the default files of standard Zen Cart. That is one of the basic reasons that store-boughts are NOT recommended.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 24 Apr 2020 at 01:28 AM.

Page 86 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast