Page 89 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Responsive Classic (built in to Zen Cart v1.5.5) [Support Thread]

A couple of questions
    You posted "If you are talking about the Layout Settings under the Configuration menu, there is no such setting for this template."
    But I do, see picture below - is this a problem for me that I have this setting?
    I can't tell you if there is a problem because you are not using the responsive_classic template. You are apparently trying to take portions of it into another template. The other template is what is causing the setting you see in Layout Settings. Stock responsive_classic does not have an "on/off switch" for the responsive portion of the template.
    I'd be interested in knowing where the template came from that you are using.
    Attachment 19116

What do you mean by columns? Are you talking about the sideboxes are (or) entire columns on either side? All of that can be done without editing a file.
    The global (complete) turn off of the left and right columns is done in the Layout Settings menu. That turns either column off throughout the site. So, if the goal is no left or right column on any page, the answer is not in a file but the Layout Settings.
    Attachment 19117

The only time it is recommended to use the tpl_main_page.php method is if you need to turn them off on one or two pages.

You didn't make it clear if you wanted them gone completely or just on a few pages.

Plugin Contributions

I recommend you read this about the template override system and making the required custom template.

Plugin Contributions

I realize that no one has their particular skill level or knowledge level attached to their avatar, but you might want to look a little more at what I do in the override/template area.

What you are confusing here is the difference between an override of files and the combination of templates.

Files that perform the layout of a template (JavaScript, CSS, etc.) may thoroughly break another template if an attempt is made to simply combine parts. Even in the overriding of files, you would not take a directory from template_default and move it to responsive_classic UNLESS you were going to change every file in that directory. By the same token, moving the jscript folder from responsive_classic to anything other than a clone of responsive_classic could create a problem. Especially if it's a blanket copy. And, if the template is a clone, was it done with lat9's Clone a Template Mod.

Responsive_classic is done in one way, Bootstrap templates are done another. Disastrous to try and combine. Even between 1.5.6c and 1.5.7, there have been major changes in the jscript files for responsive_classic.

Often, a store-bought template will even change the major wrappers of Zen Cart. One assumes it's done mainly out of laziness when trying to make one template fit several platforms.

But, of course, you have yet to identify how your "new" template came about. Did you purchase, clone, or .... Inquiring minds want to know.

Here's a report on the 1.5.7 responsive_classic by lighthouse. The site is working on getting the pesky image sizes under control but, I think the other scores are pretty good.
    Attachment 19118

And, for the first time, 1.5.7 passes accessibility testing.
    Attachment 19119

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the info.
    I created my CUSTOM template by following the zen cart instructions here.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for pointing that out. It is incorrect in recommending just the jscript folder be carried over.

The best method for basing a template on responsive_classic is to use Clone a Template and make a clone of the responsive_classic. Then you can "adjust" to your heart's content.

There are a lot of files in other responsive_classic folders that must be present for the template just to be responsive. There are also files that are modified from template_default to add layout tags for responsive manipulation.

Case in point - in the common folder is the file main_template_vars.php. It is changed in the responsive_classic template and therefore present in the responsive_classic/common folder. The changes in the file for responsive_classic are
    Code:
     if (!isset($max_display_page_links)) $max_display_page_links = ($layoutType == 'mobile' ? MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS_MOBILE : MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS);  if (!isset($paginateAsUL)) $paginateAsUL = $layoutType == 'mobile' || (isset($isMobile) && $isMobile) || (isset($isTablet) && $isTablet);
      if (!isset($flag_disable_left)) {
        $flag_disable_left = false;
      }
      if (!isset($flag_disable_right)) {
        $flag_disable_right = false;
      }

if (!class_exists('Mobile_Detect')) {
        include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'Mobile_Detect.php');
      }
      if (!isset($detect)) $detect = new Mobile_Detect;
      if (!isset($_SESSION['layoutType'])) $_SESSION['layoutType'] = 'legacy';

$display_as_mobile = ($detect->isMobile() || $detect->isTablet() || $_SESSION['layoutType'] == 'mobile' || $_SESSION['layoutType'] == 'tablet');
    Look familiar? Those pesky columns again.

So, you can see, if you fail to take this file into your custom template; a major portion of the response to the environment (phone, tablet, desktop) is just not going to happen. The template will default to the template_default's file without the correct coding and not be responsive. There are a lot more like that.

I will be working on fixing the wording of these instructions as they have not been updated in the new Zen Cart Documentation. The wiki/faq of old is being replaced by the DOCS link you see at the top of this page. The page to be "fixed" is https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/templ...ting_template/

Plugin Contributions

Important Links not showing on droid.

Important Links (easy pages) appear on desktop right column but do not appear on responsive android. Instead on droid it says "0" important links". HOWEVER, if I show ez pages on header as well as sidebar, then the important links will increase and appear on droid.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. It is incorrect in recommending just the jscript folder be carried over.

The best method for basing a template on responsive_classic is to use Clone a Template and make a clone of the responsive_classic. Then you can "adjust" to your heart's content.

There are a lot of files in other responsive_classic folders that must be present for the template just to be responsive. There are also files that are modified from template_default to add layout tags for responsive manipulation.

Case in point - in the common folder is the file main_template_vars.php. It is changed in the responsive_classic template and therefore present in the responsive_classic/common folder. The changes in the file for responsive_classic are
    Code:
     if (!isset($max_display_page_links)) $max_display_page_links = ($layoutType == 'mobile' ? MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS_MOBILE : MAX_DISPLAY_PAGE_LINKS);  if (!isset($paginateAsUL)) $paginateAsUL = $layoutType == 'mobile' || (isset($isMobile) && $isMobile) || (isset($isTablet) && $isTablet);
      if (!isset($flag_disable_left)) {
        $flag_disable_left = false;
      }
      if (!isset($flag_disable_right)) {
        $flag_disable_right = false;
      }

if (!class_exists('Mobile_Detect')) {
        include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'Mobile_Detect.php');
      }
      if (!isset($detect)) $detect = new Mobile_Detect;
      if (!isset($_SESSION['layoutType'])) $_SESSION['layoutType'] = 'legacy';

$display_as_mobile = ($detect->isMobile() || $detect->isTablet() || $_SESSION['layoutType'] == 'mobile' || $_SESSION['layoutType'] == 'tablet');
    Look familiar? Those pesky columns again.

So, you can see, if you fail to take this file into your custom template; a major portion of the response to the environment (phone, tablet, desktop) is just not going to happen. The template will default to the template_default's file without the correct coding and not be responsive. There are a lot more like that.

I will be working on fixing the wording of these instructions as they have not been updated in the new Zen Cart Documentation. The wiki/faq of old is being replaced by the DOCS link you see at the top of this page. The page to be "fixed" is https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/templ...ting_template/
    Thanks

So if my custom template is a clone of, in this case, responsive_classic then the advice in the override description, see below, is no longer correct?

"Zen Cart® Upgrades

Using the override system means you don't have to worry about overwriting your custom files when an upgrade comes along, because they are all in custom directories."

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Please make the changes you feel are required to

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/templ...-your-template
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by marton_1 View Post
    Thanks

So if my custom template is a clone of, in this case, responsive_classic then the advice in the override description, see below, is no longer correct?

"Zen Cart® Upgrades

Using the override system means you don't have to worry about overwriting your custom files when an upgrade comes along, because they are all in custom directories."
    Currently, there are only three templates that would be overwritten with an upgrade. Classic, Template_Default, and Responsive_Classic. That's why we recommend to all that the first step they take in dealing with templates is to clone Responsive_Classic to their own.

Its color stylesheet is a bear to work with simply because it was taken one step to far in minimization. If you wanted to change a color in one of those dang column headers, you'd change colors all over the place. That's why we came up with the Color Change Mod. Even then, there are concerns with 1.5.7 that we are working on at the moment.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Please make the changes you feel are required to

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/templ...-your-template
    Already on it. But, in my head, I'm hearing Mark Twain talk about the pig.

Page 89 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast