Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: install freezes at "Loading Character Set specific data 59%"

The backup_mysql plugin will export a copy of the database. Almost same as using phpMyAdmin and choosing Export. Both are ideal options for when you're changing hosts.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The backup_mysql plugin will export a copy of the database. Almost same as using phpMyAdmin and choosing Export. Both are ideal options for when you're changing hosts.
    Ok, I will look into the feasibility of doing the install on a different server and then moving the whole thing to the client's server. In the meantime, is there anything I should ask the hosting company to look at on their end?
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Without knowing where it's halting and why, it's hard to isolate things enough to know what to even ask them to look into.

There's nothing elaborate about the process. I can't think of anything that would cause the problem ... other than maybe they've got a REALLY short time limit on how long PHP scripts are allowed to run, or how long MySQL connections are allowed to last. And that would probably cause lots of problems in numerous other places on the site.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

FWIW, I just installed a fresh copy of Zen Cart 1.5.5 (2016-03-29) in a subdirectory on my 1&1 shared-server account without issue. PHP 5.6.20 was active at the time of the install and I installed with both admin and storefront using SSL.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    FWIW, I just installed a fresh copy of Zen Cart 1.5.5 (2016-03-29) in a subdirectory on my 1&1 shared-server account without issue. PHP 5.6.20 was active at the time of the install and I installed with both admin and storefront using SSL.
    Thanks lat9. That's helpful to know. My client has a PHP 5.5.34 so either that's the problem (doubtful) or what Dr. Byte said about the time limit for Mysql connections. The time limit is what I suspected after the first time it failed. That would also account for the different places the sql script stopped running resulting in different INSERT statements not being run (I think).

At least I have something for the client to ask 1&1 now. :)

Will also try the method of completing the install on my server and then moving the completed installation to a directory & DB on his server.
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

zc_install attempts to set set_time_limit to 250 seconds ... which is way more than should be necessary under most conditions.
    But if the server is denying permission to set that setting and is imposing something less than 10 seconds then that could cause problems.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    If you install/upgrade at another host (Bluehost) then you should be able to move this fileset and DB to 1&1 for your client
    Basically follow this FAQ
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...fferent-server
    I finally was able to re-install on my test server after getting locked out by a bad password so I'm onto the step of moving the installation over to the client's 1&1 hosting account. The first part of this tutorial involves installing a clean ZC on the new server, which obviously I cannot do. So, I'm following from step 3 onward. I notice that it says not to overwrite the config files but since I don't have any config files from a successful clean install, I presume I will upload them but then edit them with the correct values for the client's server?
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by earmsby View Post
    I finally was able to re-install on my test server after getting locked out by a bad password so I'm onto the step of moving the installation over to the client's 1&1 hosting account. The first part of this tutorial involves installing a clean ZC on the new server, which obviously I cannot do. So, I'm following from step 3 onward. I notice that it says not to overwrite the config files but since I don't have any config files from a successful clean install, I presume I will upload them but then edit them with the correct values for the client's server?
    If you don't have configure.php files already, and the database is new (you said you're moving to a new hosting account, so presumably the db is empty, so nothing to lose by replacing its tables), then simply run zc_install to create the correct configure.php files for this server. Then import the db data just like you would do when moving between servers. https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...fferent-server

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If you don't have configure.php files already, and the database is new (you said you're moving to a new hosting account, so presumably the db is empty, so nothing to lose by replacing its tables), then simply run zc_install to create the correct configure.php files for this server. Then import the db data just like you would do when moving between servers. https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...fferent-server
    Right, but the whole point of this was that the install wouldn't complete on the 1&1 host so I ran it on another server. :)

As it turned out, I was easily able to simply edit the config files with the right server and db info and that worked fine and I now have a working v.1.5.5 clean install shop on that server.

Now to actually do all steps to recreate the client's live store into the newer version! :)
    Ellie Armsby

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123