Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Change Starting Number for Customer ID's

I have a new ZenCart site and so it is issuing customer ID numbers in the low 100's currently. Problem is that we import those numbers into our internal database system and they are overlapping with our existing database. It was easy enough to reset the order numbers, but I have no idea how to change the customer ID's to continue on from something like 20000.
    Thanks, Colleen
    www.af-company.com
    To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. Farmers' Almanac, 1978

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Change Starting Number for Customer ID's

Are your old numbers from a ZenCart??
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

They are a combination of old Zen cart numbers and our old customer numbering system prior to Zen cart. I'd like to just switch it all to the new Zen cart.

Plugin Contributions

They are a combination of old Zen cart numbers
    You did not upgrade your cart correctly then

One should have imported their existing ZenCart database and run zc_install and upgrade database only

You probably now need to use phpmyadmin and load your current database
    Back it up first
    then reload it
    and "browse" the "customer" table
    Move to the last entry and "edit"
    Change the customer ID to "20000"
    go

you should now be good to go
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by margecc View Post
    I have a new ZenCart site and so it is issuing customer ID numbers in the low 100's currently. Problem is that we import those numbers into our internal database system and they are overlapping with our existing database. It was easy enough to reset the order numbers, but I have no idea how to change the customer ID's to continue on from something like 20000.
    Run this in SQL Patch:
    Code:
     ALTER TABLE customers AUTO_INCREMENT = 15000;

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That worked PERFECT!! Thanks very much for the help!
    Thanks, Colleen
    www.af-company.com
    To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. Farmers' Almanac, 1978

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Run this in SQL Patch:
    Code:
     ALTER TABLE customers AUTO_INCREMENT = 15000;
    Will it mess up the operation of my existing Zen Cart store if I occasionally run the above SQL Patch to bump up the value of customers_id for the next new customer?
    I do understand the maximum value is around 2 billion. Is it correct to assume there will be no effect on performance and the only consequence will be new customers will have increasingly larger customer id number as I occasionally bump up the next customers_id from, for example, 15000, 16000, 17000?

zc155a
    MySQL 5.6.32-78.1

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Zean View Post
    Will it mess up the operation of my existing Zen Cart store if I occasionally run the above SQL Patch to bump up the value of customers_id for the next new customer?
    I do understand the maximum value is around 2 billion. Is it correct to assume there will be no effect on performance and the only consequence will be new customers will have increasingly larger customer id number as I occasionally bump up the next customers_id from, for example, 15000, 16000, 17000?

zc155a
    MySQL 5.6.32-78.1
    The question is though, what problem is trying to be resolved by doing this? There may be a better solution. Presumably the reason is different than proposed by the original poster.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    The question is though, what problem is trying to be resolved by doing this? There may be a better solution. Presumably the reason is different than proposed by the original poster.
    I think the only difference between my need vs that of the original poster is that they only wanted to "Change Starting Number for Customer ID's", whereas I want to change the next Customer ID repeatedly throughout the life of the store.

Actually, I don't need a better solution if the one provided by DrByte is good enough. "Good enough" means the answer to my first question would be no it will not mess up my store for me to do what I originally said and the answer to my second question would be yes it is, ". . . correct to assume there will be no effect on performance and the only consequence will be new customers will have increasingly larger customer id number as I occasionally bump up the next customers_id from, for example, 15000, 16000, 17000?" If those are the answers, then that is 100% of what I need to know. I think this is in a way is similar to "Set next order number" using <admin> <tools> <store manager>.

If those are not the answers, then it may be useful to discuss other better potential solutions. In that case, it may be helpful to know, the purpose is I want to prevent disclosure of private business data like how many times a new account has been created by the store or how many new accounts have been created over a period of time which any arbitrary person can determine by opening a new account at two points in time and taking the difference in customer id numbers.

Thanks so much!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Zean View Post
    I think the only difference between my need vs that of the original poster is that they only wanted to "Change Starting Number for Customer ID's", whereas I want to change the next Customer ID repeatedly throughout the life of the store.

Actually, I don't need a better solution if the one provided by DrByte is good enough. "Good enough" means the answer to my first question would be no it will not mess up my store for me to do what I originally said and the answer to my second question would be yes it is, ". . . correct to assume there will be no effect on performance and the only consequence will be new customers will have increasingly larger customer id number as I occasionally bump up the next customers_id from, for example, 15000, 16000, 17000?" If those are the answers, then that is 100% of what I need to know. I think this is in a way is similar to "Set next order number" using <admin> <tools> <store manager>.

If those are not the answers, then it may be useful to discuss other better potential solutions. In that case, it may be helpful to know, the purpose is I want to prevent disclosure of private business data like how many times a new account has been created by the store or how many new accounts have been created over a period of time which any arbitrary person can determine by opening a new account at two points in time and taking the difference in customer id numbers.

Thanks so much!
    If I understand correctly, then your concern is that a "customer" (any person accessing the front side of the store) might be able to tell the rate of acquiring new customers and you want to prevent that capability. So... can you identrify where on/from the front end someone is able to either identify their own customer id or anyone else's? I'm having difficulty finding anything that is displayed, emailed or otherwise made available in a default store to identify the customers_id. Perhaps you could shed some light on how it is even possible?

From the admin side it is possible and with more than just the customers_id as there are multiple pieces of data stored in the database that could be used to determine such information.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast