Plugin Contributions

Default How to install a previous version without losing all content?

Hello.

I am needing to install an older version of ZenCart (v1.5.0) because of the compatibility issues I'm having with ZenCart 1.5.5 and Responsive Sheffield Blue v2.0.

I have content (products) on my website already and I would like to know how to roll back ZenCart without losing all my content?

How Do I go about completing this process?
    What files do I need to save/backup?
    How do I restore my content after the roll back?

Thank you in advance for any help posted here.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to install a previous version of ZenCart without losing all content?

The simplest solution is to restore the backup that was made to support upgrading the site as suggested here: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading, but that said, it is possible to use the responsive template on ZC 1.5.5 with changes made as described at: https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....79#post1306879

Alternatively you could enable/copy one of the templates as part of ZC 1.5.5 with all of the applicable plugins copied to the applicable template folders.

Issues that will be encountered by rolling back would be that 1) if the php version was increased to support ZC 1.5.5, then anyone that has logged in since this time will have to reset their password in most cases, 2) there is a possibility of database corruption as a result of using older code on a newer database, 3) some database table field changes may have to be rolled back also.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to install a previous version of ZenCart without losing all content?

Anne's templates are all getting a v1.5.5 upgrade as time permits.

Unfortunately and very noticeable Anne has been absent due to personal reasons and she can fill everyone in if she feels it necessary.

I have installed and made the necessary changes to all her templates. I emailed her to see if she was OK with me posting via GIT until she has the time to upgrade. If she says OK I will post links via the templates respective support threads.
    Website - Github. Like the ZCA Bootstrap 4 Template? Donations Welcome. Bootstrap Plugins?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    I am needing to install an older version of ZenCart (v1.5.0) because of the compatibility issues I'm having with ZenCart 1.5.5 and Responsive Sheffield Blue v2.0.
    This is really not a great plan. I'd rather see you use the new template and work in the background on fixing whatever compatibility issues you are finding. Have you reported these issues on the Responsive Sheffield Blue v2.0 thread?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    This is really not a great plan. I'd rather see you use the new template and work in the background on fixing whatever compatibility issues you are finding. Have you reported these issues on the Responsive Sheffield Blue v2.0 thread?
    Yes they were reported yesterday by the OP with a response related to going to the post that rbarbour had started to address the incorporation of Anne's template(s) to ZC 1.5.5 and that thread was reviewed, but not found to be sufficiently detailed for a novice to incorporate the changes. A follow on discussion was initiated to try to address that lack of understanding but in parallel this thread was initiated to quickly return to "full" operational status.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Going backwards is NOT advisable, particularly since password formats were changed between versions and so any new customers added, and anyone who changed passwords, won't be able to log in.

A faster fix would be to either apply the updates mentioned in the DIY thread, or switch to the built-in Responsive Classic temporarily.

And, all this could have been avoided if the upgrade had been staged in a separate copy of the site first, as advised in all the readme docs, upgrade instructions, etc. (I'm not making this comment to point fingers or such. Just drawing attention to the fact so it can be noted for future, or for others who read this discussion.)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.