Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default EMV chip credit cards can't be used "Declined: 10626"

We just had a customer try to use a EMV chip card online. The result was the error message "Declined: 10626-Transaction refused due to risk model." This problem will continue to grow as more EMV cards appear.

Paypal does support EMV cards. We took the card number over the phone without needing any chip info/passcode.

The transaction cleared. It did not clear when using the paypal modules in zencart.

I am not a zenmaster but I believe this suggests that the payment modules need an update with the advent of EMV chip cards.

Tom
    Last edited by tomarriola; 27 Apr 2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: title error

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: EMV chip credit cards can't be used "Declined: 10626"

Quote Originally Posted by tomarriola View Post
    "Declined: 10626-Transaction refused due to risk model."
    "risk model" refers to the configuration settings you and your paypal account representative have configured for your PayPal account.
    Contact them for assistance with relaxing the fraud/risk settings on your account.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Drbyte, I appreciate the response but you overlooked that the card ran thru fine off zencart. I logged into paypal and ran the card with just the number, expiration, 3 digit code and zip code. It is only under zencart that it fails to work and generates the error message.

-I removed all fraud filters in an effort to make the card clear. No settings in paypal had an affect.
    -There is no setting for EVM card acceptance in the settings at paypal.com.
    -This is a new error. It is only now being seen by myself and others.

I will email paypal support.

Thanks

Tom

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tomarriola View Post
    I appreciate the response but you overlooked that the card ran thru fine off zencart. I logged into paypal and ran the card with just the number, expiration, 3 digit code and zip code.
    No, I didn't overlook that.

Using PayPal's terminal/manager screen is entirely different from submitting a transaction from the store.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to support it. But there's nothing in PayPal's documentation that mentions anything about special treatment to handle EMV cards except when using iOS or Android apps ... equipped with card-reader hardware.

And, since there's nothing special about the data you entered in the terminal vs what the customer would enter in your store, there's no way your store would have any ability to know it was an EMV card and therefore send the data any differently. And, all "risk" errors/settings are controlled in your account back-end, not in the storefront.

This is not unlike a few years ago when Canada started aggressively introducing "Visa Electron Debit Cards" where the bank-account-debit-card also had a Visa number tied to it. Those cards would work fine in about 50% of places, until merchants slowly realized they needed to call in to Visa and say they'd be willing to accept "that card type" ... for both web and retail. Gradually people started calling in and more and more merchants now accept them without issue.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the US EMV thing will take a decade to work out properly.

Let's hear what PayPal tells you. It should be interesting ...

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    And, since there's nothing special about the data you entered in the terminal vs what the customer would enter in your store, there's no way your store would have any ability to know it was an EMV card and therefore send the data any differently.

It should be interesting ...
    first off, i agree with DrByte that the advent of chip cards means little to nothing as far as zenCart goes. chip cards and readers affect card present transactions.

however, i am not sure that the store would not know the card is a chip card while making a transaction. for example, i tried to swipe at a merchant POS device, and the device told me to use the chip reader. was that data embedded in the magnetic stripe? i have not read anything that suggests the spec changed for the information contained on the magnetic track data to provide information saying that the card has a chip. perhaps they did change the spec and i did not read about it.

more likely, all authorizations come from the issuing bank, and the issuing bank would know if the card has a chip on it, and possibly if the software used to make the transaction has a chip reader associated with it. so the issuing bank came back and said use the chip reader. in which case, even with a card not present transaction, it is entirely possible the store could know if the card has an EMV chip. but i do not know for sure.

but, i agree that it will be interesting, and that EMV cards probably had nothing to do with this decline from paypal.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Is there a chance that it is the credit card company, not paypal or zencart that is at issue?

I tried using Square on my site over a year via the CEON manual card mod few years back. I stopped because VISA was declining almost every card not present transaction as suspected fraud. Mastercard was fine with it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    however, i am not sure that the store would not know the card is a chip card while making a transaction. for example, i tried to swipe at a merchant POS device, and the device told me to use the chip reader. was that data embedded in the magnetic stripe? i have not read anything that suggests the spec changed for the information contained on the magnetic track data to provide information saying that the card has a chip. perhaps they did change the spec and i did not read about it.
    Yep, the magstripe has data that indicates the card has a chip, so IF you swipe the card on a machine that has been setup to read chips, there is a message as you indicated. forces use of the chip reader. If the reader is not capable of reading a chip, then the magstripe is read without a glitch.

Now, if the reader device is configured to read chips and the chip is defective, it will tell you to swipe the card. When you swipe the card, it will detect that the card has a chip and the reader device is configured to read chips.... "Please insert card into chip reader slot". Chip is unreadable, "Chip ERROR, Please swipe your card" It is an endless loop until the store clerk manually inputs the card info.... IF the clerk knows how to do that

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    but, i agree that it will be interesting, and that EMV cards probably had nothing to do with this decline from paypal.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat
    it is entirely possible the store could know if the card has an EMV chip
    As this is online and the customer is ported to paypal to complete the transaction - how would the "store" know if there was an EMV chip or not???
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat
    it is entirely possible the store could know if the card has an EMV chip
    As this is online and the customer is ported to paypal to complete the transaction - how would the "store" know if there was an EMV chip or not???
    For a PayPal Payments Pro transaction, the customer does the payment directly on the store site, not at Paypal.

But, ya, PayPal would have to give specific feedback to say it's EMV. But the argument to that, which we've all been agreeing on, is that there's no need for the store to "know" that it's EMV or not.
    It's a card-not-present transaction ... it has no access to either the chip or the mag-strip.
    Hence the point that PayPal needs to address this on their back-end.

Plugin Contributions

PayPal Website Payments Pro support
    My Bad!!!

But still it is online and the shop owner never sees the card or swipes it physically
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast