Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default zc_install failure: 1286: Unknown storage engine 'MyISAM'

I've got a friend that's trying to install Zen Cart 1.5.5a on a site hosted by Network Solutions that's receiving the above error on the install. He checked with NetSol and their statement was: We don't support MyISAM in version 5.6 of MySQL.

So does that mean that Zen Cart can't be installed on Network Solutions servers?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: zc_install failure: 1286: Unknown storage engine 'MyISAM'

1. MyISAM is a db engine that requires less overhead than InnoDB (but it's arguably older tech and less efficient)
    2. It is safe to expect that the server has been reasonably "tuned" to work with MyISAM, but rarely so with InnoDB

That said, many high-traffic tables are indeed more performant on InnoDB (as long as the server has been tuned for it).

Zen Cart CAN work fine on InnoDB ... but the install script does specify MyISAM in the zc_install SQL files. You can easily remove ENGINE=MyISAM from all those files and it'll just automatically use whatever default db type the server is configured for.

It's also worth noting that there ARE differences in the way MyISAM and InnoDB work. Generally Zen Cart tries to use the "right tool for the right job" as much as possible.

If your friend uses it and has trouble with performance, it'd be advisable to find a different host. NetSol is well known for marching to the beat of their own drum instead of doing what's best generally. (NetSol is also well known for being incapable of properly configuring SSL. I've no idea if they've finally fixed that, as they've declined comment too many times to be bothered asking anymore.)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, DrByte. I'll pass this information on.

Plugin Contributions

Hey all. I'm lat9's friend with the problem. I removed all the ENGINE=MyISAM commands in the mysql_zencart.sql script and it installed like a champ.

Thanks for the help. This would be good to know for anyone trying to install on NetSol. I hate NetSol as a host but my client has all of their domains and sites there and, well, you know how that is, trying to get someone to uproot all their stuff and move it elsewhere.

Plugin Contributions

i have moved a client to a new host. and i'm getting the dreaded:

PHP Warning: mysqli_connect(): Too many connections

error numerous times during the day.

one of the their suggestions is converting to InnoDB from MyISAM.

when i look at my v160 install, its all MyISAM and i'm curious if this is a conscious decision to stay with MyISAM.

i'm also curious if it is problematic should i decide to revert back to MyISAM after giving InnoDB a try.

thanks in advance!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    ... NetSol is also well known for being incapable of properly configuring SSL.
    I roared with laughter upon reading this. :) Well done, sir.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    i have moved a client to a new host. and i'm getting the dreaded:

PHP Warning: mysqli_connect(): Too many connections

error numerous times during the day.

one of the their suggestions is converting to InnoDB from MyISAM.

when i look at my v160 install, its all MyISAM and i'm curious if this is a conscious decision to stay with MyISAM.

i'm also curious if it is problematic should i decide to revert back to MyISAM after giving InnoDB a try.

thanks in advance!
    Seems like the host is not properly configured to handle the traffic that site is experiencing. Switching to InnoDB won't fully solve that issue.
    Switching between InnoDB and MyISAM can be done, but I recommend sticking with one or the other.

As for ZC and v160, it's doubtful that we'd ever use InnoDB exclusively, because different database engines are designed for different purposes. Using InnoDB is not a magic pill to solve all MySQL performance problems. Properly tuning the MySQL server is the proper solution.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    ... NetSol is also well known for being incapable of properly configuring SSL.
    I roared with laughter upon reading this. :) Well done, sir.
    The sad part is one can find a ton of forum posts specifically about that very issue.

Plugin Contributions

Using InnoDB is not a magic pill to solve all MySQL performance problems. Properly tuning the MySQL server is the proper solution.
    i do not claim to be the DB performance tuning guru. nor do i fully understand the differences between these 2 DB engines.

that said, i did switch all of my tables to InnoDB yesterday. and the too many connections error did disappear. when running the MyISAM engire, i was getting the too many connections error at a frequency of maybe once every 90 minutes. maybe a bit more. i would track the IP address down to users, spiders, as well as store administrators. at no time did i ever hear any complaints about the site, but obviously the error was right there in the logs.

so perhaps the host has their server better configured for InnoDB and did know what they were talking about with regards to their specific server. they did say the default value for max_connections is 150, and that they were not willing to change it. but clearly in this specific case, InnoDB seems to have done the trick for me. and in case any one is interested, i would say the amount of traffic on the site stays relatively consistent.
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

seems like i spoke too soon.

i changed the DB engine to InnoDB on tuesday. 28 orders that day.... no problems.... yesterday, 15 orders... no problems.... today, 15 orders, 25 log files. all rel;etaed to the too many connections as well as the Resource temporarily unavailable...

the troubleshooting continues..
    author of square Webpay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast