Plugin Contributions

red flag API Use own Database for products etc

We have a website with it's own database for products setup on Gallery4collectors.com, and are looking to update our site
    with just the shopping cart part of this program. I already have a custom template built for our site and am looking for an
    API to work with our database through Zencart. We have thousands of existing products on our site. So can someone instruct me as to where to find an API and can I use just the shopping cart part of the program? Let me know, thanks, MarilynH

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: API Use own Database for products etc

Quote Originally Posted by MarilynH View Post
    So can someone instruct me as to where to find an API and can I use just the shopping cart part of the program? Let me
    There is no API, and ZenCart is designed as a standalone system, as such there isn't a 'shopping cart part of the program'. The program *is* the shopping cart.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Haven't used one, but there are commercial products available to transition from one store type to another. If the "old" store (database) was custom built, then would want to become familiar with the various 96 tables that ZC uses so that the data could be migrated.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MarilynH View Post
    We have a website with it's own database for products setup on Gallery4collectors.com, and are looking to update our site
    with just the shopping cart part of this program. I already have a custom template built for our site and am looking for an
    API to work with our database through Zencart. We have thousands of existing products on our site. So can someone instruct me as to where to find an API and can I use just the shopping cart part of the program? Let me know, thanks, MarilynH
    Do I correctly understand that you're basically asking "how can I drop a Zen Cart buy-now button onto my existing gallery pages"?
    If so, no, unfortunately that's not how Zen Cart v1.x is designed to work.

If you wanted to populate your Zen Cart store with products from another database, you could export the product data and use Easy Populate to import them into your store.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I realize this is a 2 year old thread but I am hopeful that you can help me to understand. I have a zencart site w/ shopping cart. However, I have a supplier who has thousands of products that I would like to add to the site. The supplier however only offers Product Feed API and due to the constant changes of products is the option that would make most sense. I am not very familiar w/ API Feed as I have used Easy Populate through the years to add products. Can you please recommend the best process (to use API Feed) if there is one ? I am using ZC 1.5.5e. The url is furnitureandmore.net Thank you very much for your time.

Plugin Contributions

You will need to work with a developer who can integrate the feed with your site.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    You will need to work with a developer who can integrate the feed with your site.
    Okay, thank you.