Plugin Contributions

Default convert sq ft price to carton

how can i convert a sq ft price in certain categories to carton price or vice versa carton price into sq ft. price.
    Ex. laminate wood i sell by carton which is $3.99 a sq ft or $128.84 a Carton, customer inputs 1200 sq ft., need to convert sq ft. to carton.
    i hope i am explaining right.
    jimmie

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: convert sq ft price to carton

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
    how can i convert a sq ft price in certain categories to carton price or vice versa carton price into sq ft. price.
    Ex. laminate wood i sell by carton which is $3.99 a sq ft or $128.84 a Carton, customer inputs 1200 sq ft., need to convert sq ft. to carton.
    i hope i am explaining right.
    jimmie
    If you are seeking a turnkey solution, there isn't one. This kind of thing is almost certainly going to involve custom coding.

The biggest problem that I foresee is that a 'carton' isn't really something that can be used for data manipulation. You'll first need to decide/define exactly what you mean by 'carton'. It will almost certainly need to be expressed as a cubic measurement, and in addition to this, you'll need to factor in the 3rd dimension of the laminate itself because without this there is no way to determine the cubic measurement from the squared measurement.

Once all of these values have been defined, it is then a relatively simple math problem that needs to be inserted into an appropriate place in the code.

The question now, is how good are your PHP coding and math skills? If they aren't up to the task then your best option would be to seek a developer to do it for you (sorry, no I'm not interested). Although theoretically possible for someone to guide you through what is required in the forum, in my experience the persons seeking the help give up on it long before the persons trying to help do, and personally I find this so frustratingly annoying, that these days, I avoid getting that deeply involved,

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

To half way piggy back on this, it would be faster to provide to customers attributes for each Carton such that when you populate a product it identifies the square feet of product in the carton.

Ie. Attributes like:
    Please select a dimension [display-only and default attribute sort order 0]
    By square foot ($n)
    By carton (y" long x z" wide) w square inches ($m)

y and z are linear dimensions, w represents the total surface are, n and m are the prices of the attribute with the product priced by attribute. The information between the square brackets "[]" are settings to be applied in attributes controller and option values manager.

To add to the skills likely need to accomplish the task would be some form of javascript like coding to provide on screen updating of total area and/or price. Otherwise, one might expect such a "builder" to be able to figure things out.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

i use to have min quantity filled in with the carton, and customer had to fill in sq ft. like this (1403.3) sq ft., but when sending to freight module i want it to break down the carton. so 76 cartons would be sent to frieght module

Plugin Contributions

So is the same square footage applied to each carton of every product in the store? Even if not, could still do math in your shipping module for each product to convert the square footage of each product in the order using the min quantity to determine the number of cartons of the individual product.

Are customers only able to order in whole carton quantities? (Use of min alone suggests no, but at least one carton minimum.)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...