Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Admin login page loads very slow.

Hi,

Admin login page is loading very slowly . Some times it does not load at all.

“Request Timeout
    This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'.“

After changing php version (to any other version number and/or changing memory) it loads fine until login in again a few hours later. Server techs said they checked the server and can not fault the settings. They also have increased the connection timeout.

I am just curious if during upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5a some of the files did not updated correctly. I do not want to re install or upload all the files again as the site is working fine.

So which files should I pay attention /re upload to fix this problem?

I have also read that turning of version check might increase load time. I did that in admin but still version check at the top right hand corner is showing. Is this an indication that some admin files did not upload correctly? if so which ones should re upload?

Thanks.
    Downunder QLD

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin login page loads very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by oavs View Post
    After changing php version (to any other version number and/or changing memory) it loads fine until login in again a few hours later.
    An interesting observation. Alas, it doesn't really tell us anything particularly useful.

They also have increased the connection timeout.
    I'm always reluctant to take this approach - As a general rule, if it works, all it does is hide the cause rather than fixing it.

I am just curious if during upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5a some of the files did not updated correctly.
    Certainly possible - but we would have no way of knowing.

I do not want to re install or upload all the files again as the site is working fine.
    Well, no, apparently it isn't working fine.

Probably no need to upload all the files again, but if you suspect that this is the cause of the problem (and I don't know what the basis of your suspicion is) then the very least you should be doing is comparing the files to verify or refute the suspicion.

So which files should I pay attention /re upload to fix this problem?
    This is a no brainer - It is the LOG files that you need to pay the most attention to, as these will often help narrow down problems with the other files. :-)

I have also read that turning of version check might increase load time. I did that in admin but still version check at the top right hand corner is showing.
    I assume you mean the check to see if there are any new updates? Yes, enabling this can increase the load time, but not by any significant amount - unless there is a connectivity problem - so like the increase of timeout settings, if this does have a positive affect it is only because it is hiding another more serious problem.

Is this an indication that some admin files did not upload correctly?
    TBH, I've never tried disabling this version update test, so I can't say whether Zencart shows the *current* version with it disable or not. In other words, this could be an indication of nothing other than there isn't a problem getting the latest version number (networking is fine).

if so which ones should re upload?
    All of them? None of them? Seriously, I'd been digging for more clues before doing anything like this. Who's to say that if there was a problem with the original uploads, that there won't be a problem with the re-uploads - in if this is the case you could, in thoery end up compounding the problem rather than resolving it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than this - but the symptoms also describe the effects of an overloaded server (regardless of what you were told) - which means that even a completely new installation won't solve the problem.

Cheers
    RodG
    Last edited by RodG; 18 Jun 2016 at 05:45 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I'm always reluctant to take this approach - As a general rule, if it works, all it does is hide the cause rather than fixing it.

Probably no need to upload all the files again, but if you suspect that this is the cause of the problem (and I don't know what the basis of your suspicion is) then the very least you should be doing is comparing the files to verify or refute the suspicion.

This is a no brainer - It is the LOG files that you need to pay the most attention to, as these will often help narrow down problems with the other files. :-)

All of them? None of them? Seriously, I'd been digging for more clues before doing anything like this. Who's to say that if there was a problem with the original uploads, that there won't be a problem with the re-uploads - in if this is the case you could, in thoery end up compounding the problem rather than resolving it.
    Rodger Rodger.. You have already and thank you. I will follow it up as you have suggested.
    Downunder QLD

Plugin Contributions

if i was you, i would use the developer tools. i believe they are available with firefox or chrome. under chrome, one would press f12 to bring up the developer tools window,. from there i would select the network tab. from the information contained there, one could see which script/file is taking the longest time to load. once i narrowed in on that, i would then look at the code inside that script.

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Ok reading 2 log files this is what I have. What does it all mean?

Those files mentioned are already there.
    home/premiers/public_html/includes/templates/premier/common/tpl_main_page.php
    /home/premiers/public_html/nimda/includes/classes/logger.php

---log---------
    [18-Jun-2016 16:48:42 Australia/Brisbane] Request URI: /, IP address: 14.202.99.123
    #1 error_log() called at [/home/premiers/public_html/includes/modules/footer.php:19]
    #2 require(/home/premiers/public_html/includes/modules/footer.php) called at [/home/premiers/public_html/includes/templates/premier/common/tpl_footer.php:20]
    #3 require(/home/premiers/public_html/includes/templates/premier/common/tpl_footer.php) called at [/home/premiers/public_html/includes/templates/premier/common/tpl_main_page.php:193]
    #4 require(/home/premiers/public_html/includes/templates/premier/common/tpl_main_page.php) called at [/home/premiers/public_html/index.php:97]

[18-Jun-2016 16:48:42 Australia/Brisbane] PHP Warning: error_log(/cache/page_parse_time.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/premiers/public_html/includes/modules/footer.php on line 19

----------------------------

------log 2 ---------
    [18-Jun-2016 16:48:32 Australia/Brisbane] Request URI: /nimda/login.php?camefrom=index.php, IP address: 14.202.99.123
    #1 error_log() called at [/home/premiers/public_html/nimda/includes/classes/logger.php:46]
    #2 logger->write() called at [/home/premiers/public_html/nimda/includes/classes/logger.php:34]
    #3 logger->timer_stop() called at [/home/premiers/public_html/nimda/includes/application_bottom.php:17]
    #4 require(/home/premiers/public_html/nimda/includes/application_bottom.php) called at [/home/premiers/public_html/nimda/login.php:181]

[18-Jun-2016 16:48:32 Australia/Brisbane] PHP Warning: error_log(/cache/page_parse_time.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/premiers/public_html/nimda/includes/classes/logger.php on line 46
    Downunder QLD

Plugin Contributions

Ok reading 2 log files this is what I have. What does it all mean?
    The contents of those log files aren't really telling us anything useful, and there are couple of ways to get rid of those particular errors.. The 1st being to disable the parse time logging (hide this problem). The second being to take care of the permissions that is preventing the those logs to be written. BUT - that brings up another little clue - It appears that this log file is trying to write to the /cache/ folder, and Zencart hasn't saved its log files into this folder since V1.5.1(?) so it looks like you may have a problem caused by an incomplete update after all.

Which folder did you find these log files in? /cache/ or /logs/ (check both if you haven't already).

Now, having said that I'm not at all confident that I'm being 100% accurate with this 'diagnosis', or my thoughts on the location of the various log files, so I'm happy to stand corrected if necessary.

And having said *that*, it also isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the inability to write the parse time log file that is actually *causing* the slowdowns. It probably shouldn't, but disabling it to see what, if anything changes couldn't hurt.

admin > config > logging > Store Page Parse Time > set to "false"

Other than this, and unless more info comes to light, I'm out of ideas.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

If nimda is your admin folder, you need to rename it now, as you made it public.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    if i was you, i would use the developer tools. i believe they are available with firefox or chrome. under chrome, one would press f12 to bring up the developer tools window,. from there i would select the network tab. from the information contained there, one could see which script/file is taking the longest time to load. once i narrowed in on that, i would then look at the code inside that script.

good luck!
    Haven't found a windows based browser that doesn't use f12 to provide some form of browser code related tool. Mac, not sure.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    The contents of those log files aren't really telling us anything useful, and there are couple of ways to get rid of those particular errors.. The 1st being to disable the parse time logging (hide this problem). The second being to take care of the permissions that is preventing the those logs to be written. BUT - that brings up another little clue - It appears that this log file is trying to write to the /cache/ folder, and Zencart hasn't saved its log files into this folder since V1.5.1(?) so it looks like you may have a problem caused by an incomplete update after all.
    Correct RodG, 1.5.1 was the first ZC version to transition error logging to the /logs/ folder.

The includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php each have or can have a defined constant DIR_FS_LOGS. In ZC 1.5.5, if not mistaken in an update from an older version would rewrite the configure.php files to remove this constant from the file if the suggested upgrade process is followed as provided here.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post

And having said *that*, it also isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the inability to write the parse time log file that is actually *causing* the slowdowns. It probably shouldn't, but disabling it to see what, if anything changes couldn't hurt.

admin > config > logging > Store Page Parse Time > set to "false"

i do not agree that the above information indicates an incomplete upgrade.

the setting of the defined constant DIR_FS_LOGS is obviously correct as evidenced by the fact the OP is posting info from the logs.

going to the specific location you mention above shows the log file destination (specifically STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG) and correcting it there, as well as turning off the logging will address the errors indicated in the logs.

as to whether it solves the time-out issue, i would agree that it is not beyond the realm of possibility (although probably unlikely), but in any event i would certainly turn off parse-time logging.

as far as developer tools, which would show the culprit script for the slowdown in the network tab, you can read about the chrome install and initiation here:

https://developer.chrome.com/devtools

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast