Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Pin Payments Payment Gateway [Support Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by bbsbcastle View Post
    Agreed as to install file placement. I took it as making more of a general point regarding the ajax.php, and thought the edits needed might help someone else.
    It's all fixed now. Install was moved over to the module file, and ajax.php was moved to modified_files respecting version differences. Chris will be submitting an update shortly.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr
    It's all fixed now. Install was moved over to the module file, and ajax.php was moved to modified_files respecting version differences. Chris will be submitting an update shortly.
    OK - thank you.

Bill has added this edit for me and we are hopefully back in action. Please note though that this is a fairly basic error that I am having to pay to get fixed - not sure why something simple like an order total not being transferred correctly made it into a final version?? Not everyone using zencart is selling $20 items - some of us actually do business in larger amounts.

Can you confirm that Pin Payments will now correctly charge any order over $1000 as per the zencart recorded total?
    Can you confirm that you will be adding a transaction limit in future version of the module so that the limit imposed by Pin Payments will be handled correctly by the module?
    Can you confirm that there will be some attention paid to the way errors are handled - we were left in the dark on this one with no error reporting at all.

I will have to test on our end but due to the way Pin Payments handles refunds, I have to charge something over $5k (our new transaction limit) and then wait a couple days (or more) for the refund to land back in our account plus the refund is taken immediately from our incoming credit card payments. Not ideal.

I do appreciate the relatively fast advice for this module bug though - thank you.

Leah
    (Aussie Sapphire)
    Last edited by aussiesapphire; 9 Nov 2016 at 09:40 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by aussiesapphire View Post
    Bill has added this edit for me and we are hopefully back in action. Please note though that this is a fairly basic error that I am having to pay to get fixed - not sure why something simple like an order total not being transferred correctly made it into a final version?? Not everyone using zencart is selling $20 items - some of us actually do business in larger amounts.
    Yeah, unfortunately, a very basic error. As the person who built this plugin for Pin, I sincerely apologize for the oversight. We were concentrated on security and simplicity of use and just missed to test transactions over $1k. A stupid oversight, I admit and, again, apologize.
    As for having to pay to get fixed - I'm not sure how to comment on that. But, I would love to know how much Bill charged for 54 seconds of his time spent to connect to your server, navigate to a file and replace one line of code I had provided... No need for you to answer that...

Can you confirm that Pin Payments will now correctly charge any order over $1000 as per the zencart recorded total?
    I have done quite some testing and all orders went through just fine, with correct totals being charged. You can see a fraction of my tests here:

Can you confirm that you will be adding a transaction limit in future version of the module so that the limit imposed by Pin Payments will be handled correctly by the module?
    We'll look into it.

Can you confirm that there will be some attention paid to the way errors are handled - we were left in the dark on this one with no error reporting at all.
    Unfortunately, no. Technically speaking, this was not an error, but a miscommunication between the plugin and the Pin server. Neither Pin nor Zen Cart could tell it was an error so it wasn't flagged on either end. It's like the "6 or 9 point of view"...

I will have to test on our end but due to the way Pin Payments handles refunds, I have to charge something over $5k (our new transaction limit) and then wait a couple days (or more) for the refund to land back in our account plus the refund is taken immediately from our incoming credit card payments. Not ideal.
    You know the module CAN be switched to Test mode, right? No need to place a real transaction, switching Transaction Mode to Test works exactly the same as Live, with the difference being in cards used. You can PM me for more details if you want.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, a very basic error. As the person who built this plugin for Pin, I sincerely apologize for the oversight. We were concentrated on security and simplicity of use and just missed to test transactions over $1k. A stupid oversight, I admit and, again, apologize.
    As for having to pay to get fixed - I'm not sure how to comment on that. But, I would love to know how much Bill charged for 54 seconds of his time spent to connect to your server, navigate to a file and replace one line of code I had provided... No need for you to answer that...

I have done quite some testing and all orders went through just fine, with correct totals being charged. You can see a fraction of my tests here:

We'll look into it.

Unfortunately, no. Technically speaking, this was not an error, but a miscommunication between the plugin and the Pin server. Neither Pin nor Zen Cart could tell it was an error so it wasn't flagged on either end. It's like the "6 or 9 point of view"...

You know the module CAN be switched to Test mode, right? No need to place a real transaction, switching Transaction Mode to Test works exactly the same as Live, with the difference being in cards used. You can PM me for more details if you want.
    I strongly considered not responding, but I felt some points needed to be addressed.

Any time billed would not be related to the time to put in your edit, but time spent trying to find and verify the non-existent logging and transaction tracking, testing your edit to see if it broke the site, etc. Since you state you "built this for Pin", I assume they compensated you for your time. If you simply mean you modified the authorize.net module to work with Pin as volunteer work, I understand and applaud your efforts.

The function "javascript_validation" in pin.php would be a good place to insert testing of the transaction limit.

Since the "Log file" and "Log and email" settings are of higher precedence, it would normally appear they provide a higher level of logging. That is, one would expect some level of logging beyond "Alerts only" when the module is set to a higher level.

Test transactions would not have detected the issue, since "this was not an error". You can only tell it's happened by looking at the amount that was charged by Pin. That doesn't happen in test mode, so technically we don't really know if it's fixed until someone makes a charge over their new $5,000 limit. It has made test mode charges without breaking on the user or admin side. It's also made live charges under the limit, but that doesn't really confirm it.

Plugin Contributions

Oh, YOU are Bill - wasn't paying much attention. Okay, I didn't realize "Bill" was someone who was actually involved in the process - thought it was their developer whom they contacted to implement the given solution. Sorry if I said something wrong, but then again - you charged for time you spent without actually providing a solution? I never could understand people who charge for time spent and their own learning curve, but with no end result. I mean, if I don't know something and spend 3 weeks learning and exploring and deliver NOTHING, am I still supposed to charge the client? Some people do that, some don't - if that happens to me (and it has), I choose to bite the bullet and move on. But, this is not the place to discuss this so let's just bury the hatchet and move on.

Test transactions that were sent to Pin with the old bad line of code were showing up in the dashboard as $1 charge (or $2, depending on first digit of order total). Therefore, that's what Pin would've charged. Currently, correct amounts show up in the dashboard. You're absolutely right we can not be 100% sure without a real live transaction, but there's no reason for dashboard to show $1500 and customer's card is charged with $1. And, even if it does happen, who do you think will have to compensate for the loss (hint: dashboard says you have $1500 in your account).

Re: transaction limit - I won't go into that since I'm not authorized for it at the moment. If you have a solution, you're more than welcome to implement it for your client. And, if you want, share with the rest of the community.

Plugin Contributions

We appreciate the advice re correcting this module but quite frankly, I am a bit cheesed at your attitude re the above comment.

As Bill points out, his time involved more than the "45 seconds" required to add your edit which hopefully will resolve all the issues. Time that I have to pay for and am happy to do so as Bill has been very helpful on a number of issues (and very reasonable re cost) - but I do reserve the right to feel a bit cheesed off that a pretty basic error was allowed through in the first place.

When we reported the issue to Pin Payments, they said to send the logs - I then asked my developer to do this and try and track down the problem. This was before I posted here and got your response. I expect it to be more than 45 seconds of work.

Now that we know you are supporting this module, I will refer to you in the first instance next time there is a problem.

Leah

Plugin Contributions

Again, my apologies - as I mentioned earlier, I was not aware Bill was involved in the process of debugging.

As for the basic error that slipped through - I'm not trying to excuse myself, but you do know that the most basic errors slip through most often? And it happens to Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, Mercedes, Toyota, Samsung, Apple etc. Heck, even Pentagon... No software is perfect, no developer is perfect. We all make mistakes and I'm the first to admit it, but at the same time do my best to rectify and fix it. So, please understand that "how could this happen to you" statement doesn't help, especially not with a "use at your own risk" plugin...

Once again, I sincerely apologize for both letting the bug slip through as well as my comment re: Bill - I do appreciate his efforts to resolve the issue.

I will do my best to support this plugin although I'm in no way obligated to do that - it's voluntary and based on my personal decision to support the work I've done. I'm NOT a member of Pin, nor am I affiliated. So, if there are any bugs in the future (and I really hope there won't be any), please post here in the forums - I'm subscribed to the thread and will do everything I can to help.

Plugin Contributions

Anyway. I didn't mean to set off a flame war. That's why I had a hard time deciding to respond.

I should not have made any comment as to time, since my point was to discuss the open issues in the module. However, you do not know me, and Leah is assuming I will be charging because they have asked me to. They know we recently spent many hours working an issue with another payment module and charged for less than a quarter of that time. We don't bill for time that doesn't lead to results. Next time, don't ask me to bury a hatchet after you've been hitting me with it. So yes, it would be time to drop these side issues.

I'm not seeing a dashboard that shows an amount for test transactions. Where would we find that?

I get this is a beta adaptation. That's why we've been proceeding slowly and trying to keep everything tested ahead. We thought we had it set for extreme logging. We should have tested more for that.

As to anything we implemented on charge limits, would that be incorporated since it sounds like Pin controls this module?

Plugin Contributions

I'm not seeing a dashboard that shows an amount for test transactions. Where would we find that?
    It's the merchant dashboard, Leah must have access.

As to anything we implemented on charge limits, would that be incorporated since it sounds like Pin controls this module?
    This part I don't understand. This is an open source module - you can make any changes you want, these checks would run on client side anyways.
    For example, you can add your own logic to disable this payment option for certain products, or disable it for payments from, IDK, first time customers... So, what's stopping you from putting an
    Code:
    if($_SESSION['cart']->show_total() > 5000) $this->enabled = false;
    on let's say line 78...

And, as with all plugins here, you're most welcome to post your (better) solution for the community, and if anyone else decides to implement it, nobody can stop them. That's the whole idea with the community contributed plugins here...

Plugin Contributions

It's the merchant dashboard, Leah must have access.
    Ok. I found the "Test/Live" toggle button on the top of the payments page. I was looking on the sides for a separate page. Pin did reject an order that was over the limit with an error message to the user.

This part I don't understand. This is an open source module - you can make any changes you want, these checks would run on client side anyways.
    For example, you can add your own logic to disable this payment option for certain products, or disable it for payments from, IDK, first time customers... So, what's stopping you from putting an
    Code:
    if($_SESSION['cart']->show_total() > 5000) $this->enabled = false;
    on let's say line 78...

And, as with all plugins here, you're most welcome to post your (better) solution for the community, and if anyone else decides to implement it, nobody can stop them. That's the whole idea with the community contributed plugins here...
    Since you'd said something about not being authorized to make some change, I took it that you were working for Pin under contract. As such, I also assumed you would prefer to have enhanced control over the module versions. If I implemented something to make an admin setting for the limit, etc (I hate hard coding things like that), I didn't want to bump into your efforts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast