Plugin Contributions

Default Removing Spam Reviews

Hi folks,

I have a client that had one of their admins put in a couple hundred negative reviews (copies) that we are trying to remove. I see how to turn on/off reviews, but not sure how to clean this up without having to do two clicks for each review.

Does anyone have a pointer on how to do this?

I appreciate any insight you may have.

Thank you.

TechDude

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Removing Negative Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TechDude View Post
    not sure how to clean this up without having to do two clicks for each
    Three options:
    a) continue with "two clicks for each" so that you properly review each one and don't accidentally delete things that shouldn't be

b) write custom code to change how the "two clicks" safety works. By the time you've done that you probably would have been done deleting them directly. Removing the safety is not good practice.

c) if you understand databases, you could just clean then up in the db directly, assuming this is a one-time problem. The table is unsurprisingly called "reviews".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Al

Plugin Contributions

The number of bad reviews is actually 1500. I am going to look into the database option for removing the entries I think.

Thanks,
    Al

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by TechDude View Post
    The number of bad reviews is actually 1500. I am going to look into the database option for removing the entries I think.

Thanks,
    Al
    Please note that there are two tables involved
    'reviews' and 'reviews_description'

You'll need to clear both.

Assuming you are going to be using phpmyadmin (and don't mind removing the good with the bad) the quck way is to navigate to the table(s), click the 'operations' button, then the 'Empty the table' (TRUNCATE) link. Do NOT delete/drop the table itself.

Cheers
    RodG

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Argh. In the back of my mind I was thinking reviews probably were multilingual, and so reviews_description would exist too. I forgot to go double-check. Too many tables in my brain.

Thanks for catching that.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.