Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customers Comments Don't Show In Admin orders.php

Hi all,

I've upgraded from v1.5.1 to v1.5.5a and noticed that customers comments don't appear in the orders overview side pane in admin/orders.php. It shows the yellow link to say comments exist and also mentions the word 'comments' under the shipping method in the right hand pane... but no actual comment is showing.

Name:  comments.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  61.0 KB

Is this the correct behaviour?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customers Comments Don't Show In Admin orders.php

Quote Originally Posted by bottyz View Post
    Is this the correct behaviour?
    Assuming there actually IS a comment, no, this is not the correct behaviour.

So the real question is: Is there actually a comment? Or is the yellow dot appearing when it shouldn't?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Assuming there actually IS a comment, no, this is not the correct behaviour.

So the real question is: Is there actually a comment? Or is the yellow dot appearing when it shouldn't?
    Hi DrByte,

It is a comment yes, as you can see from the screenshot the yellow box doesn't display when there is no comment. The one in the screenshot was a test order I put through myself, but its happened on live orders also. When you open the commented order in its detailed view, the comment is listed ok, its just not listed in the right pane on the orders.php overview.

I've compared the orders.php file with a vanilla one from the v155a downloads section and both are identical.

Any ideas where this may also be affected?

Plugin Contributions

An observation: The behavior of the Customers->Orders sidebox's display of those comments hasn't changed from v1.5.4. That version, too, displays the Comments "heading" but not the comment's text itself.

I'm not sure when that heading was introduced, it's not present in 1.3.9h.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    An observation: The behavior of the Customers->Orders sidebox's display of those comments hasn't changed from v1.5.4. That version, too, displays the Comments "heading" but not the comment's text itself.

I'm not sure when that heading was introduced, it's not present in 1.3.9h.
    Hi lat9,

So in that case is this actually the expected behaviour? Dr Byte didn't seem to think so.
    Is there a way to have it show the customer comments? I think it may be beneficial to have it readily available at a quick glance. I'll poke around the code myself to see if I can find a simple implementation.

Plugin Contributions

You can see the customer's comments when you view the details of the order.

P.S. I didn't say it was "expected behavior", just that the behavior hasn't changed since v1.5.4.
    Last edited by lat9; 30 Jun 2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    You can see the customer's comments when you view the details of the order.

P.S. I didn't say it was "expected behavior", just that the behavior hasn't changed since v1.5.4.
    I know you can, but I thought it might be beneficial to have the comment printed in the side box also, so that its available at a glance before opening each order.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to safely extract the actual comment around line 993 of the orders.php:

Code:
     // indicate if comments exist
            $orders_history_query = $db->Execute("select orders_status_id, date_added, customer_notified, comments from " . TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY . " where orders_id = '" . $oInfo->orders_id . "' and comments !='" . "'" );

if ($orders_history_query->RecordCount() > 0) {
              $contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => '<br />' . TABLE_HEADING_COMMENTS);
            }
    I've got the comment to display by using the below, but do I need to sanitize the output in some way?

Code:
            $orders_history_query = $db->Execute("select orders_status_id, date_added, customer_notified, comments from " . TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS_HISTORY . " where orders_id = '" . $oInfo->orders_id . "' and comments !='" . "'" );

$contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => '<br />' . TABLE_HEADING_COMMENTS) . ":";
                $contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => $orders_history_query->fields['comments']);

}
    Last edited by bottyz; 30 Jun 2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: cleaning the code layout

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

At first glance that looks like it'll probably work.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Code:

$contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => '<br />' . TABLE_HEADING_COMMENTS) . ":";
                $contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => $orders_history_query->fields['comments']);

}
    Has there been any follow up on this? I've been trying to find a fix, and while the above code works, I only want it to display the Customer's comment, not the transaction report from the credit card processing. More the same as the packing slip only shows the first comment and only if the customer left a comment, otherwise it says "--none--"

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bottyz View Post

I've got the comment to display by using the below, but do I need to sanitize the output in some way?

Code:

}

There is a small error in your code. At the end of the previous line, where you added a colon to be displayed after TABLE_HEADING_COMMENTS, that colon should be inside of the right parenthesis. Other than that, it works great! :-)

Here is a corrected version of the code...

Code:

$contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => '<br />' . TABLE_HEADING_COMMENTS . ":");
            }
    When things like this are found in the code, is there an official way to notify the development team so that it can be fixed for future releases of Zen Cart?

Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast