Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default My store orders have stopped being emailed to my office computer

For years now my Zen Cart orders have always been emailed to my office computer. About 3 weeks ago they stopped arriving in my office computer except for 2 orders which made it through to my computer. But most of the orders have not come through. Luckily the orders are stored on Zen Cart and I was able to copy them from there.
    All my other general emails are coming through. I even just got an emails message sent from Zen Cart. It seems that it is just my orders that are not being forwarded properly to my computer.

Does anyone know what might have changed and how I can fix it?
    I Wish I Could

o What version of Zen Cart? v1.3.9h
    o Is it a new install or an upgrade? New installed on my server Just Host. I am editing it there.
    o What the addons/contributions you have installed? Non
    o What customizations have you made? Created custom Template. Moved text and boxes form home page. Setting up categories etc
    o What type of server are you using? Unix-based servers on JustHost.com
    o Are you installing locally? It’s already installed on my host. I am editing it there.
     What operating system? Windows 7
     What version of PHP is installed on the server? PHP 5.2.16

o
    o What version of MYSQL is installed on the server? MySQL server version 5.0.91
    o What you were doing when your problem occurred? Editing my home page
    o What are the steps to reproduce the problem?
    o Have you attempted to fix the problem? Reading FAQ and trying instructions found there.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: My Zen Cart orders have stopped being emailed to my office computer

who is your hosting company? if everything was working fine, and now emails stopped, there is little question in my mind that the hosting company changed something.... also, i doubt the hosting company is running windows 7; that's probably what is on your computer and not on the webserver. :)

you can change the method you use to send emails. see this guide for troubleshooting:

https://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index....Email_Problems

getting email working properly can sometimes be tricky. and when the host changes something, it is difficult to track down. i am not sure about the ZC logging in 1.3.9h; i know in 1.5.5 there is a setting (or not) so that email problems create a log and makes is much easier to track down.

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I recommend talking to JustHost about the matter.

Additionally, you could see whether these articles contain any ideas that might help you, particularly on your old version of Zen Cart which also uses old email technologies.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Email_Problems
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Of_Lost_Emails

Upgrading to a newer version of Zen Cart would give you more modern capabilities.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Further to emailed orders not getting through to my computer. I emailed (from Zen Cart) a customer who made a recent order and asked her if she received an email copy of her order. She replied (Back to my Zen Cart) that she did get a copy of her order.

So 3 emails got through via my Zen Cart. It is just the email of her order that did not arrive in my office computer.

Does this information help to narrow the search for the problem?

I wish I could

Plugin Contributions

My emails to my office computer have been tested and are working.

I wish I could

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Your first post implied that "ALL" orders are not being emailed. Your llast post mentioned that ONE email didn't arrive. So it's unclear whether this is an isolated case or a broader problem.

Your very old (from 2010) version of Zen Cart makes it very difficult to troubleshoot this sort of situation. Lots of email-related quirks and bugs have been fixed in newer versions.

Plus, in the last 2 years many email services have implemented TLS requirements and other delivery rules that ZC v139 had no knowledge of when it was written 6 years ago, so it cannot support some of these modern email services.

Additionally, prior to ZC v1.5.5 whenever an email error occurred it simply resulted in a message on the screen, with no logging or record of the failure or why.

At this stage because of your old version it's impossible to determine whether the email was successfully handed of from Zen Cart to the email server and then lost after that, or if an error actually happened when Zen Cart tried to begin sending that email.

There's a BIG difference between an email being SENT and an email ARRIVING.
    As explained in the articles I linked to above, all Zen Cart does is hand off emails to the mailserver ("SEND"), and then carries on with whatever it's supposed to do next. Whether the mailservers can deliver the message ("ARRIVE") is unrelated to Zen Cart (except for your old Zen Cart may be formatting the emails in an outdated way which makes it difficult for new mailservers to complete delivery). These concepts are explained in the articles above.
    If the email was "sent" properly from Zen Cart without any error, but didn't "arrive" at your office computer, then the delivery problem happened somewhere after Zen Cart sent it and before your computer received it. That's something that your hosting company can trace, usually by having you trigger another email so they can watch it go through all the steps inside the mailservers involved.

I strongly recommend that you begin putting a plan in place to complete an upgrade to a modern version sometime before the end of this year.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

How long would it take me to upgrade to ZC v1.5.5 from ZC v139?

I would like to keep my site live during the process.

Would it take several weeks or be finished in less than a day.

Would my site look the same or would I have to spend a lot of time re setting up my site.

I wish I could

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by I wish I could View Post
    How long would it take me to upgrade to ZC v1.5.5 from ZC v139?
    It takes as long as it takes to merge your customizations into the new version.
    Given that you've never done an upgrade it may take a little longer the first time. You're probably looking at several days. Not one day, but not months either.
    I do find that doing regular upgrades makes the task shorter each time ... just like when I'm cleaning my office! Ha!

I would like to keep my site live during the process.
    This is how I do upgrades, to minimize potential downtime to maybe a couple minutes, because I've spent the time doing a test upgrade separately:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Would my site look the same or would I have to spend a lot of time re setting up my site.
    You can keep the same look. Merging the code and css updates into your template will modernize it to be compatible.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Further to emailed orders not getting through to my computer. I emailed (from Zen Cart) a customer who made a recent order and asked her if she received an email copy of her order. She replied (Back to my Zen Cart) that she did get a copy of her order.

So 3 emails got through via my Zen Cart. It is just the email of her order that did not arrive in my office computer.

Does this information help to narrow the search for the problem?

I wish I could
    As for your presenting email issue, I still recommend talking to your hosting company to identify why they're not delivering those emails to your mailbox.

Plugin Contributions

I am planning to connect my website to Google Analytics. Can I do this before I upgrade to ZC v1.5.5 or am I better to wait until my upgrade is complete then connect my website to Google Analytics.

I think my site may be complicated as there maybe 100 pages on my site. Will this make a big difference to the time taken to complete upgrade to ZC v1.5.5

Thanks I wish I could

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast