Plugin Contributions

Default Finding files that don't show up with a Developers Tool Kit search

We have had a lot of customization done to our website over the years. I'm relatively new at this company and I'm trying to modify a checkout window that we've built. I just can't find the file I need to modify when I search for it with the Developers Tool Kit. Does anybody have any ideas as to where else I could look? Where else could files be if text in those files can't be found with the Developers Tool Kit?

Here is a screen shot of the checkout window. When customers hit continue it takes them to the checkout page.

Name:  Enter Shipping Info.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  37.8 KB

Thanks in advance,

Dan Jones

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Finding files that don't show up with a Developers Tool Kit search

Kind of looks like a .js file possibly; however, files of those types are searchable by the DTK (more so in more recent versions), guess a key part of trying to figure out where it is/comes from is to identify on which page(s) it can be presented, there may then be related code to load that page in one of the javascript override files/folders...

I'm a little overheated at the moment to provide further clarity, but that's a feeble start. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I usually don't bother with the text, I look in the source, pick the id of a nearby field or name of the form and search for that.

I have not used the developers toolkit to search for things for years apart to find little used configuration things.
    Another reason to use a local development copy for all modification work, you can use any search tool on your local computer to find things far easier.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can find pretty much everything using DTK. Most of the sections are for searching specific categorized segments of the code, but the bottom-most field is for searching "everything". It does require that you specific PHP vs JS, but it searches all (known Zen Cart-related) directories.

You didn't specify:
    a) what exactly you're searching for and why --- your screenshot doesn't really say what you're looking to find or change, so we can't give you any specific answers

b) what version of Zen Cart you're using --- without that we can only assume you're using the latest version, which has all the best features, but if you're using an older version then you might be getting wrong advice

c) what additional plugins you've got installed, and what other alterations have been made to the site --- because these change the normal operation and therefore change the answers to your questions

While some people such as @torvista don't use DTK, the DTK does give strong search capability for any store admin who doesn't keep a copy of the site files on their own PC.
    But if you do keep a copy on your PC, then you've got additional tools at your disposal depending what software you possess. I've found that Sublime Text is a great text-editor (designed for software development), and has fantastic and fast search capability. They encourage you to buy a license, but their trial mode is timeless so no need to invest if you don't use it often.
    (The DTK isn't for editing; it's just for searching, which is handy for diagnosing problems as well as demonstrating findings when asking for support, etc.)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Note, too, that there are cases (especially if your customization add files and/or folders off the Zen Cart root) where the DTK limits its search to only the "known" files/folders.

See this posting about the subject that I made a year and a half ago.
    Last edited by lat9; 29 Jul 2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Additional information

Plugin Contributions

DrByte,

I wanted to hide the create password, Confirm password section. Right now if people do decide to enter a password and create an account, and they click on continue, the page won't refresh and they can't check out. Ideally I would just fix this problem, but I need to learn how to code first. Right now I need a temporary solution until we hire a programmer. For the time being I wanted to comment out the optional section where people can enter in a password and create an account.

I'm using the latest version of Zen Cart - v1.5.5a.

We've installed the Fast and Easy checkout Module, but it looks like we aren't using that module. As far as the alterations that have been made, I wish I knew the answer to that question. The programmer that made this checkout box is MIA.

I know that with the lack of information I'm able to provide makes it's hard to help me out. I really appreciate all of the answers I've gotten so far. The Zen Cart community is amazing. I'll try out the suggestions I've received and see if I can locate the code.

Thanks for the help.