Plugin Contributions

Default How do I disable the newsletter confirmation email from sending?

We don't have a newsletter. I've taken off the sign up for a newsletter field from the footer of my website and off of the register page. People can't sign up for a newsletter when they purchase a product from my website. I have no idea how people are still able to signup for a newsletter on our website.

However, we keep sending out confirmation emails to those who sign up for our newsletter. I know this because I get about two newsletter confirmation emails per day that bounce back as undeliverable.

I tried to match the email addresses that bounce back for the newsletter confirmation to emails in the zen_customer table in phpMyAdmin. So far I haven't found any that match.

I guess that there is a remote possibility that this could be a Joe Job, but I don't think it is. I changed some text in the email confirmation email template yesterday and those changes were reflected in emails that bounced back today.

I'm really puzzled as to how these newsletter confirmation emails are being sent out.

Is there a way to disable the newsletter confirmation from sending altogether?

We recently upgraded to the latest version of Zen Cart v1.5.5a from 1.5.4 following the official upgrade procedure.

Our server is using PHP version 5.5.36 and MySQL version 5.6.30

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I disable the newsletter confirmation email from sending?

What is your store's setting for Configuration->Customer Details->Show Newsletter Checkbox? If it's set to 1, you should set it to 0.

Plugin Contributions

lat9,

Thanks for the reply. The Configuration->Customer Details->Show Newsletter Checkbox is set to 0. I changed it to 0 about a week ago and it didn't change the newsletter confirmation email from being sent out.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart's "newsletter" functionality doesn't send any "newsletter confirmation" emails.

Exactly which file did you edit for these "confirmation emails" that are bouncing back?
    Actually, the complete text would be useful to see.

What's especially odd is that you say these emails are not related to any of your store's customers. So this suggests to me that you've got some addon/plugin installed that's providing this extra functionality.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The newsletter template is called subscribe.php.

It's located in - includes/languages/english/my-template/subscribe.php

I don't have any modules installed that are associated with a newsletter, as far as I can tell, looking through my modules.

The complete text of the email is as follows:
    This email has been registered for a newsletter subscription on our site.
    Before you can begin receiving the newsletter, you must confirm your email address.

If you did not subscribe, no action is needed.

Please click on the link below to confirm your subscription:

http:// westechequipment.com/index.php?main_page=subscribe_confirm&confirm=MWoxL2&[email protected]

For help with any of our online services, please email the store-owner: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Westech Equipment
    Store Owner

http://westechequipment.com/

This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you did not signup for an account, or feel that you have received this email in error, no action is needed. No newsletters will be sent without confirmation, and you will not receive another. You are always welcome to contact us with any concerns you may have.

This email is sent in accordance with the US CAN-SPAM Law in effect 01/01/2004. Removal requests can be sent to this address and will be honored and respected.

Plugin Contributions

This is the code for that comfirmation email template
    Code:
    <?php

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Subscribe');
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Subscribe');

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', '');
    // you don't need to fill in TEXT_INFORMATION if you wish to edit the subscribe text from the Admin area
    // If filled in, this text is shown below the defined page text
    // Note: This uses the same defined_page for both subscriptions and confirmation

define('TEXT_INFORMATION_CONFIRM', '
      Before you begin receiving your subscription to our newsletter, you MUST reply to our subscribe-confirm request sent to your email<strong>%s</strong>.
      <br />
      <br />
      Please check your e-mail inbox. When you receive the confirmation request, just click on the confirmation link enclosed in the email.
      <br />
      <br />
      If you have troubles signing up, please send a message to <a href="mailto:' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '">'. STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS .'</a>.
      ');

// greeting salutation
    define('EMAIL_SUBJECT', 'Please confirm ' . STORE_NAME . ' newsletter subscription');

// First line of the greeting
    define('EMAIL_WELCOME', '' . "\n" . '<p />We wish to welcome you to ' . STORE_NAME . '.<p />');
    define('EMAIL_SEPARATOR', '--------------------');

define('EMAIL_TEXT', 'This email has been registered for a newsletter subscription on our site.<br />' . "\n" . 'Before you can begin receiving our newsletter, you must confirm your email address.<p />' . "\n\n" . 'If you did not subscribe, no action is needed.<p />' . "\n\n" . '');

define('EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_TEXT','Please click on the link below to confirm your subscription:<br />' . "\n\n" . '%s  '. "\n\n" );

define('EMAIL_CONTACT', '<br />For help with any of our online services, please email the store-owner: <a href="mailto:' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '">'. STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS ." </a><br />\n\n");
    define('EMAIL_CLOSURE','Sincerely,' . "\n\n" . STORE_OWNER . "\nStore Owner\n\n". '<a href="' . HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG . '">'.HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_CATALOG ."</a>\n\n");

// email disclaimer - this disclaimer is separate from all other email disclaimers
    define('EMAIL_DISCLAIMER_NEW_CUSTOMER', 'This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you did not signup for an account, or feel that you have received this email in error, no action is needed. No newsletters will be sent without confirmation, and you will not receive another. You are always welcome to contact us with any concerns you may have.');

?>

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DanJones View Post
    The newsletter template is called subscribe.php.

It's located in - includes/languages/english/my-template/subscribe.php
    Ya, neither of those files is part of official Zen Cart code.

If you never intend to use that anymore, you could delete the associated files:

/includes/modules/pages/subscribe (whole folder; if this folder is gone, then the page won't do anything)
    /includes/languages/english/your_template/subscribe.php

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your help. I will give that a shot.