Plugin Contributions

Default Print USPS postage for free?

Is there a shipping module that will quote USPS rates for first class and possibly Priority Mail as well as print the postage without charging a monthly fee? I was going to use Ship200 but the client does not want to pay the monthly rate as she is still launching the site.

From what I see the USPS module only quotes First class mail and international and not print postage.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by dfontana View Post
    Is there a shipping module that will quote USPS rates for first class and possibly Priority Mail as well as print the postage without charging a monthly fee? I was going to use Ship200 but the client does not want to pay the monthly rate as she is still launching the site.

From what I see the USPS module only quotes First class mail and international and not print postage.
    The USPS module will quote any/every USPS product. It is just a matter of setup. I don't know of any that will quote & print for a fee, much less free.

Printing postage must be via a contractually approved vendor. Or you can manually enter the data using USPS Click-n-Ship without surcharge, though clickNship is a retail rate service.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Note also that Ship200 is going out of business come September, 2016.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    The USPS module will quote any/every USPS product. It is just a matter of setup. I don't know of any that will quote & print for a fee, much less free.

Printing postage must be via a contractually approved vendor. Or you can manually enter the data using USPS Click-n-Ship without surcharge, though clickNship is a retail rate service.
    Thank you Rick, I informed the client, as this a new upstart, the client did not want to commit to any service until she saw some sales starting to come in. I think I read on some other post that there was a clicknship mod for Zencart but cannot find the post any longer nor the mod. AM I mistaken on that issue? You also mentioned the USPS mod priced for all their services, I am currently using an older USPS mod and only see First class services in the mod setup. how can I add Priority Mail or other services. Do I need to go back the the USPS site and change services she will use?
    Last edited by dfontana; 17 Aug 2016 at 06:14 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Note also that Ship200 is going out of business come September, 2016.

Thank you for that information, I was not aware of that, will have to find another service then once sales start coming on for the client

Plugin Contributions

that there was a clicknship mod for Zencart but cannot find the post any longer nor the mod. AM I mistaken on that issue?
    The last few USPS updates have made changes where the automated ClickNship will not function. It will require manually inputting the address info into the USPS.com website and pay for the postage at that time. That is most likely the only no cost option but then, your customer will pay retail postage rates the same as going to the Post Office counter and paying for the postage. Many times, the savings by paying commercial rates can easily offset the monthly fee for having the convenience of automation.

You also mentioned the USPS mod priced for all their services, I am currently using an older USPS mod and only see First class services in the mod setup. how can I add Priority Mail or other services. Do I need to go back the the USPS site and change services she will use?
    The USPS mod changes at least annually in January and sometimes once or twice during the year. If you do not update each time, you will have headaches.

USPS United States Postal Service Shipping module

In the setup, there are just plain old "Checkboxes" beside each class of postage, domestic and international, that you wish to offer to the customer during checkout.

There are several services available to print labels using the interface data downloaded from the zencart installation. Many offer the first month free as a trial. Some are better than others (Rick's opinion) because I have looked at most of them at one point in time or another. Some are easier to install and/or maintain. Some have a different level of customer service. But it boils down to "You get what you pay for".

Good luck.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com