Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Installing a new site

I know this has changed at times in the past, and, I've been away from Zen Cart for many years now. Back to it. The doc says to rename dist-configure.php to configure.php, in store and admin. Fine, I do this. I run the installer, and, it says system setup is required.

In the past, I thought that Zen itself sets up the configure.php file. Not renaming dist-configure does not change anything. So, I presume the doc is correct. However, the PDF install doc for 1.5.5a never says to EDIT those files and put in valid data. Is this the way it works now, I must edit them both and set up database, paths, domain, etc.?

So, in that manual, does section 5.1 (New Installations) #2 (configure.php files) simply omit the fact that the files must not just be renamed, but, edited for content?

I really thought the zen installer created the files and asked you for the settings.
    Steve Fatula

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing a new site

1. You rename the files and set permissions on them so that Zen Cart can put the correct contents into them.
    2. You run zc_install and answer the questions in the brief interview it gives you (basically, to do the "system setup")
    3. Done

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That's what I thought, but, not what I see. There are no logged errors by apache. I go to the install page via http://www.somedomain.com/zc_install, and, it merely gives the You are seeing this page for one or more reasons page.

Near as I can tell, it's looking for zc_install/includes/configure.php, which does not exist since the doc does not say to rename that one. I see a dist-configure.php there....
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

I am suspecting the install is not working with mod_fcgid so well with the relative paths.
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
    That's what I thought, but, not what I see. There are no logged errors by apache. I go to the install page via http://www.somedomain.com/zc_install, and, it merely gives the You are seeing this page for one or more reasons page.

Near as I can tell, it's looking for zc_install/includes/configure.php, which does not exist since the doc does not say to rename that one. I see a dist-configure.php there....
    You don't need to do anything within the zc_install folder, nothing at all.

You do need to rename the 2 dist-configure.php files to configure.php and make them both writable. Prior to doing all of this, make sure you created a blank database on your server and have the credentials written down as you will need them when running the installer. A few more folders have to be made writable as well (see docs).

In the install package you find a docs folder, open that folder and you will find a file called 1.readme_installation.html - read through that file step by step. Don't skim over that file but read it thoroughly.

I found that the latest installer (ZC 1.5.5a) is the simplest installer since I got involved in ZC. When you run yoursite.com/zc_install it shows you what you reported in your post above (System Setup required etc.....). On that screen you find something like "Install Now" (forgot the exact wording) - click that link and the installer starts.
    Last edited by frank18; 18 Aug 2016 at 12:58 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I agree you do not normally need to do anything with the zc_install folder. Read my follow up post though, I am using php via mod_fcgid, i.e., cgi, which changes things regarding paths. There is a doc for this, but it also does not work:

https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...unix-webserver

I have exactly followed the doc. It does not work as a cgi install of php. Nor does the recommendations of the linked to page above.
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

I agree you do not normally need to do anything with the zc_install folder. Read my follow up post though, I am using php via mod_fcgid, i.e., cgi, which changes things regarding paths. There is a doc for this, but it also does not work:

https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...unix-webserver

I have exactly followed the doc. It does not work as a cgi install of php. Nor does the recommendations of the linked to page above.
    Thanks Steve.

I did 3 fresh installs (for clients) this week, all on Linux servers similar to above, all went without a single glitch.

What exactly is your server environment?

Plugin Contributions

To prove this theory, I created a small php program (omitting the start tag here):

if (file_exists('includes/configure.php')) {
    include('includes/configure.php');
    echo HTTP_SERVER . "\n";
    }
    require('include/configure.php');
    echo HTTP_SERVER . " but file not found!\n";

This runs and echos HTTP_SERVER just fine when test.php is in the root apache directory for the site. It fails if the program is moved to zc_install directory. It fails because:

require(): Failed opening required 'include/configure.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /home/psd/public_html/zc_install/test.php on line 6

I might experiment with the include path just for the install. Been running ZEN under cgi just fine.
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

Server is Centos 7.2, standard Centos packages, so, httpd 2.4.6, mod_fcgid to run php (not mod_php), php 5.4.16, mariadb 5.5.47, not sure what else you would want. I suspect it may be possible to patch the install, if I get past it, Zen should run just fine. Always has before. Ideally, a better relative path would be used.
    Steve Fatula

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

To prove this theory, I created a small php program (omitting the start tag here):

if (file_exists('includes/configure.php')) {
    include('includes/configure.php');
    echo HTTP_SERVER . "\n";
    }
    require('include/configure.php');
    echo HTTP_SERVER . " but file not found!\n";

This runs and echos HTTP_SERVER just fine when test.php is in the root apache directory for the site. It fails if the program is moved to zc_install directory. It fails because:

require(): Failed opening required 'include/configure.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /home/psd/public_html/zc_install/test.php on line 6

I might experiment with the include path just for the install. Been running ZEN under cgi just fine.
    There are two bugs with what you've posted here:
    a) you used "includes/configure.php" and then "include/configure.php". Both should be "includes/". So your test is wrong.
    b) You put your test inside zc_install, which does NOT have an "includes/configure.php" in it. The zc_install code specifically looks at the directory above it to find "includes/configure.php". It never looks for zc_install/includes/configure.php

It's been years since I bothered with Centos let alone mod_fcgi, but I know lots of others use that combination successfully with Zen Cart.

Zen Cart does expect your "include_path" to contain the "." folder, which according to the messages you posted, it does. So it's not an issue of looking up relative paths.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast