Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Adding carriage return to order details

(Linux hosting, ZC 1.5.5)

So it appears in my template that as I add coupons, discounts, bogos, etc... that the order details start to get inserted into the display table sequentially instead of each on a new line, which eventually causes the details to truncate and no longer be visible in their entirety. It seems to me it should be as simple as adding a <br> or a <p> in the part of the code that builds the list. I took a look at the ot_total.php but it appears that is just inserting the table into the page, the actual building of the table happens elsewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction, and is adding a simple carriage return going to be a viable fix, or is it more complicated than that?

TIA

Name:  order_total_spacing.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  28.9 KB

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding carriage return to order details

i think it's "different" that the way you describe it. i am not really aware of a "display table" per se. there are tables that store data, and then a template will present that data onto a page hopefully suited to the device that you are using to look at or change the data.

personally i would NOT add html formatting data to a table in the database. i would modify the code associated with the page so that it better presents that data to you in a meaningful structured way.

does that make sense?

what page (URL) are you on? i'm not sure if you are on the admin side or customer facing side nor which page it might be.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

This is customer side, it is on the ... 3rd checkout page after selecting your shipping type.

Page url is - index.php?main_page=checkout_payment&zenid=**************

Plugin Contributions

which template are you using? and do you have a link to your site?

i'm looking at the base code, and the script that outputs that page should be:

includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/tpl_checkout_payment_default.php

if you do not have that script in your templates folder, then it would be in the template_default folder.

nothing there strikes me as unusual to get your output....

i have a feeling it is the template that you are using, although i could be wrong.
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

It's most definitely the template.

I do have a tpl_checkout_payment_default.php in my template folder. However, I believe this is what generates the table to display the order details. It's probably altered by CSS, but I'm not sure if it's done on this page at display time, or during generation on order totals.

Code:
    <fieldset id="checkoutOrderTotals">
    <legend id="checkoutPaymentHeadingTotal"><?php echo TEXT_YOUR_TOTAL; ?></legend>
    <?php
      if (MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_INSTALLED) {
        $order_totals = $order_total_modules->process();
    ?>
    <?php $order_total_modules->output(); ?>
    <?php
      }
    ?>
    </fieldset>
    My site is http://liquidautoskin.com

Plugin Contributions

TM, Themeforest, etc are all examples of how quickly "purdy" can turn into "youglee." They're put together by folks who know nothing about Zen Cart internal workings or interactions. ANY deviation from their product can result in catastrophic changes in your shop.
    The words "lipstick on a pig" come to mind. Also, it does not do well on an iPhone6s+ which is one of the largest phone screens.
    So much that is happening with this template can be done with 1.5.5a, minor color changes to responsive_classic, and the addition of some mods. The image effects on the product pages (which don't work on the iPhone) can be purchased for less than the cost of the template.
    You may feel you have too much invested at this point to change but, keep in mind that every change, tweak, mod, etc in the future will automatically double in time required to make it happen.
    One thing I do see that you might want to investigate is that there are two stylesheets that might not both be needed. Any stylesheet that ends in .css will be loaded at startup. You have both stylesheet_custom.css and stylesheet_custom_original.css loading. IF the stylesheet_custom_original is a backup of stylesheet_custom, it is defeating the purpose. The _original will load AFTER the newer and overrite changes made in the newer _custom. It's always better to add one's initials to the file extension versus .bak, .old. or (in this case MAYBE) adding _original to the old file.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    TM, Themeforest, etc are all examples of how quickly "purdy" can turn into "youglee." They're put together by folks who know nothing about Zen Cart internal workings or interactions. ANY deviation from their product can result in catastrophic changes in your shop.
    The words "lipstick on a pig" come to mind. Also, it does not do well on an iPhone6s+ which is one of the largest phone screens......
    wow. i'm sorry... in this case, i just do not agree!

kcin, awesome looking site! great implementation of a template on the zen-cart framework. there are some tweaks that perhaps i would do, but frankly i think it looks great! good for you.

in looking at this template on an iPhone 6s+ it still looks great. frankly i'm impressed...

onto your problem. the issue with the coupon not aligning is that the designer of the template did NOT account for div with an id of otcoupon. that id needs:

Code:
    #otcoupon {
        overflow: hidden;
        position: relative;
    }
    with regards to dbltoe's comment on the two css's, he does have a point. however, the css/stylesheet_custom_original.css is doing things that the custom is not. specifically on line 10407, the css is accounting for the overflow and position for the other ids in the subtotal part of the page. frankly i would just add the #otcoupon there and you would be done. you might want to add #otcopupon as well to line 10411 of css/stylesheet_custom.css to account for the line height; but it does not look necessary. the changes for the first css would look like:

Code:
    #otsubtotal,
    #orderTotals,
    #otshipping,
    #ottotal, #otcoupon {
      overflow: hidden;
      position: relative;
    }
    i hope that helps!

good luck!

1 last thing.... it looks like based on the loading, the stylesheet_custom_original.css is taking precedence over the stylesheet_custom.css sheet.
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

You have every right to disagree but it's the SEs that have the final say as to what page you are going to show up on when searched.

The demo in my sig is a clean load of ZC, along with the application of the color change mod. Using the Woorank addon to Chrome. It out performs the liquid site by three points. Mainly, because of three things store-bought templates do.

What most people don't see because of the "purdy" is the tendency to bloat load time with stylesheets, javascript, etc. Our demo - .57 sec. Liquid - .97 Nearly twice the time. And our color mod increases the stylesheet count.

Zen Cart also properly manages H tags so that the SEs will find h1, h2, h3, etc. Most store-bought drop that feature due to the fact they are originally designed for other than Zen Cart and, as a result, liquid has zero h1 tags. Considered an html error in SEO.

Even worse is the lack of alt tags for four of the images. In the US, that also violates 508 accessibility standards.

Not pointing out to argue. Just passing on how "purdy" can actually lower your rank. Haven't found one yet that meets just the requirements for those three categories. If users of the templates are not aware of these deficiencies, they wind up doing strange things to improve ranking. Better to look to the basics.

I AM impressed that there seem to be no W3C validation errors. Very seldom see that in store-bought.

A lot of excellent work in descriptions, images, etc can be for naught with the problems of store-bought.

Plugin Contributions

dbltoe,
    pretty interesting stuff!

i know i'm looking forward to when v160 comes out and perhaps the base template will be more reflective of modern design and modern design elements.

i think users turn to other templates due to the dated look of ZC. and as you are no doubt aware, getting a modern e-commerce site to function properly and look good, requires a lot of work.

and while a ZC site with the default template may show up higher in a search, potential customers could also turn away from the site due to it not looking professional.

the woorank chrome add-on is interesting. thanks for sharing that.

best.
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

The words "lipstick on a pig" come to mind.
    I understand. I simply do not have the skillset necessary to create my own template from scratch. Further, I didn't really know what I wanted to look like. It was far easier to browse pre-constructed styles and imagine how it might look with our products listed in it. There have been some headaches, several of the mods I consider crucial to my business have yet to be installed as they do not function correctly due to the template. (Dual pricing comes to mind). Our previous store was a bought template from somewhere, it was actually pretty cheap too, and it worked flawlessly. I never had any issues with it. So I guess you mileage may vary. /shrug

One thing I do see that you might want to investigate is that there are two stylesheets that might not both be needed. Any stylesheet that ends in .css will be loaded at startup. You have both stylesheet_custom.css and stylesheet_custom_original.css loading. IF the stylesheet_custom_original is a backup of stylesheet_custom, it is defeating the purpose. The _original will load AFTER the newer and overrite changes made in the newer _custom. It's always better to add one's initials to the file extension versus .bak, .old. or (in this case MAYBE) adding _original to the old file.
    I could have sworn that this setup was exactly what you are saying. I had a support ticket open with TM to fix this issue and they gave me a new css file, and I could have sworn that _original was my backup. So based on what you were saying, I had no idea it would still load, so I made a local copy and deleted the one on the server. It actually broke a few things so I had to put it back. Maybe it was original named that way to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat
    kcin, awesome looking site! great implementation of a template on the zen-cart framework. there are some tweaks that perhaps i would do, but frankly i think it looks great! good for you.

in looking at this template on an iPhone 6s+ it still looks great. frankly i'm impressed...

onto your problem. the issue with the coupon not aligning is that the designer of the template did NOT account for div with an id of otcoupon.
    Thank you, I love the current look of our site very much. And for the record, it appears your fix has worked, thank you so VERY much!

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe
    The demo in my sig is a clean load of ZC, along with the application of the color change mod. Using the Woorank addon to Chrome.
    Sigs aren't showing up for me, can you put a direct link?

What most people don't see because of the "purdy" is the tendency to bloat load time with stylesheets, javascript, etc. Our demo - .57 sec. Liquid - .97 Nearly twice the time. And our color mod increases the stylesheet count.
    That's fantastic, but .97 is acceptable for me. It's still less than a second load time. Amazon's page loads in 1.5s, and I'm pretty sure they outsell the both of us combined.

Zen Cart also properly manages H tags so that the SEs will find h1, h2, h3, etc. Most store-bought drop that feature due to the fact they are originally designed for other than Zen Cart and, as a result, liquid has zero h1 tags. Considered an html error in SEO.

Even worse is the lack of alt tags for four of the images. In the US, that also violates 508 accessibility standards.
    That sucks about the header tags, though it probably doesn't hurt us as much as it could, I would say 90% of our sales are direct marketed, most of our traffic is a direct url, not from a search engine. I'll have to look into the lack of Alt, honestly it's quite likely my fault, I never populate them when given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat
    and while a ZC site with the default template may show up higher in a search, potential customers could also turn away from the site due to it not looking professional.
    This so much. As a consumer I would never buy from a zen-cart site using the default or recolored default template. It looks jinky and it screams scam to anyone expecting to buy from a proper store. Is the store maintained? Is it currently live? Do people actually receive their product. You need your customers to believe that they can trust you as a legitimate site from the landing page. I'm not sure any of the default templates do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast