Plugin Contributions

help question Download attribute causes free shipping even when product is not virtual

We are using download attributes to supply customers with information post checkout. The product associated with the file being downloaded is not virtual. We're simply supplying a file with further instructions post payment.

Unfortunately as soon as a file is associated in attributes the shipping stage is bypassed. I realise that our usage is unusual but does anybody know how we can stop a download attribute triggering that the product is virtual or applying free shipping?

TIA

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Download attribute causes free shipping even when product is not virtual

More information please: what are the product settings regarding shipping and product being virtual? These are found on the product's page for describing the product about midway down in a vanilla install.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Download attribute causes free shipping even when product is not virtual

Product is not virtual. Shipping is not free, it is flat rate. When the product is purchased without a selection that includes a file download everything is fine. When an option that includes a file download is selected the shipping options are skipped and shows as free freight on checkout.

Plugin Contributions

So the shipping is not free choices. There are actually two. Which is selected?

And because the information was not provided as written on a typical default screen, will ask what is marked on the data entry row just above the Always Free Shipping selection for the problem product?

Plugin Contributions

Sorry - I don't understand. What screen shots would you like?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ontoit; 28 Aug 2016 at 10:43 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Although posting more related information about the current setup ought to help the next individual having trouble, this FAQ link ought to help set things straight: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...l-downloadable

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ontoit View Post
    Sorry - I don't understand. What screen shots would you like?
    That's okay. The location that defines how a product is supposed to act during the checkout process is on the product info page: (area where say the description of the product, the quantity of the product, etc... is entered.) this is normally found by navigating the catalog->categories/products screen, then editing a product or by adding a new product.

I'm otherwise at a loss to describe how to get to this part of the system and would hope that if I haven't been able to help get to that location, that someone else can jump in and provide better instruction.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Download attribute causes free shipping even when product is not virtual

Thanks MC - you put me on the right path.

By selecting Combo product AND adding a weight (it was 0) to the non virtual item everything works as it should. Sorry to have missed, what now seems quite obvious!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ontoit View Post
    Thanks MC - you put me on the right path.

By selecting Combo product AND adding a weight (it was 0) to the non virtual item everything works as it should. Sorry to have missed, what now seems quite obvious!
    Not sure that it is/was considered obvious... I'm sure it is something that you won't easily forget (hard lessons rarely are), but that certainly is a method that was identified in that FAQ. Glad it was corrected and that it didn't require ever more explanation. :)

I wasn't sure how else to explain it without actually doing it myself, which seemed to require asking even more questions instead of getting to the answer. :)