Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Brain dead with genres

I just can't find a forum link to help me figure out something that should be so simple. I have music songbooks, all having been setup with their own individual categories. I would also like to offer my viewers another option, which is clicking the genre and seeing what songbooks I carry in that genre. I see that Zen-Cart has a default with Jazz and Rock as the 2 example genre categories. So how do I link a Rock songbook to the Rock genre ? I've gone to the category item and see all of the copy/move/attributes options for it but there is nothing NOTHING I can find that will link it to the genre. Sorry if I missed something really obvious but I'd appreciate any scraps you can throw me.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Brain dead with genres

Media manager under the extras admin tab.

That's where products can be associated with a particular media (genre) type.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply. Media manager only allows you to list mp3 files so I don't think that will work for me.

Here's my need: I have categories listed on the left side of the page. I have the manufacturers listed on the right side of the page. I would like to add another box that is for genre (Rock, Jazz, Pop, Classical, Country). This setup gives my viewers a lot of power... click on category, manufacturer, or genre to find the songbook they want. Here's a snapshot of what I am hoping it might look like. Dang it would have been sweet to be able to use the music genres category for this. Thx for any help. BTW the website is cheap song books (no spaces between words) .com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

You didn't say you had a specific file type that you were trying to deal with.

If only mp3 files, then need to continue expanding the "pieces and parts"... so now you move on to media types in the same extras drop down... there you add your other media type(s). If the media type(s) are not permitted by your htaccess setup then you will have to modify the applicable htaccess as well, but the majority of "popular" media types should be supported with little to no additional other modifications.

Plugin Contributions

You can also create your own linked product categories to operate as genres.

It's up to you to choose whether to keep the product's master_categories_id the same as it has been or to update it to your new genres category(ies), but you could manually copy/link the product to its genre.

You could do it with any number of other bulk updaters as well.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, now I understand how genre's work. I can see my mistake was setting up all my category items as general product instead of music product. All of my 3000 items need to be changed to music products. I found this sql patch from Ajeh

UPDATE products SET products_type = 2;
    insert into product_music_extra (products_id)
    select products_id
    from products where products_type = 2 and products_id not in (
    select products_id
    from product_music_extra);

If this patch works, then all I need to do (I think) is update the genre field for all of the items? If I use easy populate, add a column for genre_types with one of the five options (rock, country, etc) and upload, will that get me where I want to go ? Thx again

Plugin Contributions

Not sure which easy populate plugin you are using, but if you use version 4.0.36 or higher, turn on the fields for music in the configuration menu, then you can handle your product to genres name assignments.

Plugin Contributions

Do you know sql & if so can you help me with this patch? It won't work because it's incomplete. My zc_product_music_extra category id is 3139 and I'm not quite sure what else I need to add or how to do it.

select products_id
    select products_id

Thanks for any help you can give...
    Last edited by mrcastle; 25 Oct 2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mrcastle View Post
    Do you know sql & if so can you help me with this patch? It won't work because it's incomplete. My zc_product_music_extra category id is 3139 and I'm not quite sure what else I need to add or how to do it.

select products_id
    select products_id

Thanks for any help you can give...
    Well, the above query is or has updated all product to be of type 2, not just those of category 3139.

If it has been run and an issue occurred, please identify what error was logged in the myDebug file of the logs folder? (obscure the admin directory as that is likely to be part of the error. Can use admin as the directory.) also, before pasting the code of the error log, please press the # button in the message reply box to surround the message with [CODE] and [/CODE] tags.

Plugin Contributions

I didn't make note of the error but the problem is my total lack of knowledge. I'm not sure what to do. All I know is how to get into myphp and click on my database. I remember clicking the sql button and trying the script and getting an error it couldn't run the script. I'm guessing either I was not highlighting the correct file or perhaps there was something I needed to enter in the script that related to my database. Well, at least I always make backups.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast