Plugin Contributions

Default Updating old version to latest wordpress.

Site www.beeworks.com, using version 139f and Linux Mint 17 and need to transfer to Wordpress which needs the latest to integrate. I plan to use localhost, which currently has Wordpress running, get the whole thing working before uploading to my host. I am not really proficient with .php, reason why it's so out of date.

My question. Would it be simpler to install a new copy of Zen Cart, then upload my database.
    The second alternative would be to download the Zen Cart from my host, upgrade, then combine with Wordpress.
    Either way sounds like a great deal of work, but with my lack of proficiency I am scared of screwing up.
    Any help gratefully received

PS. I have Dreamweaver, would that help?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Updating old version to latest wordpress.

Dreamweaver not really recommended generally speaking.

To get to where you need to be as far as latest version, process recommended is basically to install files, upgrade database. But... do all this separate from your live store until you know how to do what is needed to get there. Backup is your friend. There are lots of ways to do a file backup, whether it's with something like git or just good old zip.

Process recommended (bit of reading to be done): http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Also, far more recommended to use the files from this site than to use your host's "upgrade" process.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Dreamweaver not really recommended generally speaking.
    Process recommended (bit of reading to be done): http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Also, far more recommended to use the files from this site than to use your host's "upgrade" process.
    Thank you, will proceed with a new install,which raises more questions!
    Can I use a new database as a temporary? then download the old database for insertion after deleting the test database, just before uploading.
    This whole business is likely to take some time, so a downloaded database will be long out of date by the time I need to upload to my host.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by hive man View Post
    Thank you, will proceed with a new install,which raises more questions!
    Can I use a new database as a temporary? then download the old database for insertion after deleting the test database, just before uploading.
    This whole business is likely to take some time, so a downloaded database will be long out of date by the time I need to upload to my host.
    That's pretty much exactly the process used. One thing though. As you go through/learn what is needed to upgrade that "old" database, you will repeat the actions against your live database when the time comes.

Basically you take good notes (I tend to create a separate sql upgrade file that as necessary/applicable can be applied to the database when ready to do the upgrade) so that you can try one last practice time to do the upgrade, apply the desired/needed changes and get a site that is setup as desired/needed. Then do the process needed against the live site. At that point, down time is negligble. After all, have tested and made all the mistakes applicable before touching the live site.

So... all that said, for your "temporary" new database, when you use ZC to do the "installation" be sure to use the same database prefix (DB_PREFIX) that you use on your live site. It makes a lot of things easier as you go down the line. The DB_PREFIX can be found in includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php. Typically it is '', but it may be something else for your store.

BTW, questions are good. Learning by doing (ie making mistakes and being able to undo them) can be better. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post

BTW, questions are good. Learning by doing (ie making mistakes and being able to undo them) can be better. :)
    Thank you, excellent advice. Even better is the speedy response. Again Thanks.