Plugin Contributions

Default Easist way to upgrade from 1.5.1 to latest version (1.5.5b)

I'm know there are a multitude of posts written on upgrading to the latest version. I have tried, unsuccessfully to do it. My current problem is in the testing phase that when I try to rename the admin directory I lose access to it. The page is blank. So, I've given up on migrating my Zen cart to the latest version.

Here is what I'd like to do, if at all possible. I would like to start fresh with a new installation on an entirely new server. I don't care about any modifications I've done or the current design or template. I'll either chose a new template or build a new one myself. I would, however, like to import all the items and attributes from my current v1.5.1 site. I can move all the images and downloadable digital media over by FTP. All I care about at this point is not having to re-enter all the items and attributes into the database again.

Is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks for all the advice!

Erick

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Easist way to upgrade from 1.5.1 to latest version (1.5.5b)

Ironically, what you describe is the same thing as what the upgrade instructions say to do: stage your site on the new version temporarily (either on a separate server, your PC, or another folder+db on your current server), import a temporary testing copy of your live site's database, apply all your desired customizations, while taking notes of what you've done, and then finally "go live" by either (recommended way is to) then applying all the upgraded files and tweaks (per your detailed notes) to the live site, or (not so recommended way of) import the latest database from live site into the new site, and then re-do all the customizations again.

It's all outlined here: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by innovusphotography View Post
    when I try to rename the admin directory I lose access to it. The page is blank. So, I've given up
    Perhaps it's worth talking about this isolated symptom instead? Chances are you'll run into blank pages again, so it's better to understand what's causing them on your specific site, and fix those issues. Ref: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I'm in the process of copying the entire site to the new server. I'll follow the upgrade instruction exactly, then see where we are. Thank you very much for your quick response!

Erick

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by innovusphotography View Post
    I'm in the process of copying the entire site to the new server.
    Related reading: I want to move my Zen Cart installation to another host or a different server

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.