Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Need to move Database from old domain to new domain - looking to hire

[Note: remember to include site URL, ZC version, list of plugins, PHP version, etc ... read the Posting Tips shown above for information to include in your post here. And, remove this comment before actually posting!]

I have to give up the original domain i had been using for my Zen Cart store. I have 6 years worth of data in the old database with somewhat over 100K orders entered and stored. I of course need to make sure my customers orders and information is preserved.

For now I hired someone to help with my transition and it appears they have completed most of the work. I had my Host replicate all of my files to the new account (both domains are presently resting on same server - in about 30 days or so i have to transfer the old domain name to a new owner). The person I hired changed the config.php files where needed but they did nothing with the database. They neither created a new SQL database in the new account and/or imported the original. For now the new site is functoning as it should but I am worried that after i delete the old domain name's account from my server, the database will go with it.

Besides which I cannot export any data from my database unless i go to the original account (using myadminphp once into the old Control Panel).

Sooner or later I will need to delete the original account and I am afraid I will lose my database.

I am wanting to contract someone who has the expertise to help me with this. When you contact me i can give you more specifics. You can email me at gotlogos at gmail dot com.

If it is easy enough to go into how to do this and you understand what I am needing you can address it in this thread.

Any help is crucial and would be MEGA appreciated,
    Daniel

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need to move Database from old domain to new domain - looking to hire

Its been a while since I did this but if you are using whm/cpanel you can simply change the domain name in your account.
    google cpanel change domain name
    No need to copy your database to a new "domain"
    You will need to do a bit of tidying up afterwards but from memory it was fairly straightforward

Of course backup everything first.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need to move Database from old domain to new domain - looking to hire

Wow- it would be lovely to be that straightforward.

I do have WHM and I tried this with a couple of inconsequential name and it keeps saying "ERROR: Sorry that name is already setup!"

By the way i didnt know this and only tried it at your suggestion so thanks for the input.

Plugin Contributions

Let me start by saying it is your Hoster that can best help you in this situation. They already have access to everything within your Hosting account and know exactly how things should be.

With that said, a Hosting account is tied to one primary Domain name. Do you have one Hosting account with 2 Domain names being used (one primary and the other an Addon Domain) or do you have two separate Hosting accounts, each with their own Domain name?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

These FAQs explain the concepts:

I want to move my Zen Cart installation to another host or a different server

DB Backup with phpMyAdmin

If you can still login to the old domain's account, you can do the export. Be sure to do the import, and test that it's working properly, on the new account before deleting the old one. (Remember, you'll need to update your 2 configure.php files to name the new database.)

I agree with Website Rob: Your hosting company can do this for you too, and probably much more quickly if they know their servers well enough to know how to move database files between accounts. All depends how tech savvy their staff really are.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks to DrByte and Rob and others. I got it accomplished earlier today.

What I did was export the DB from old account. I then made a new DB in new account and noted the name i gave it as well as username and password for the DB (I would need this info to change the config files).

The DB was too big to be imported (3.2 GIG) so my hosting company went ahead and did it and imported to my new DB on their end.

And I then went in to my includes directories and updated/edited the config files with the new DB information. Yes, it all still works file and I will have it live taking orders and such to make sure nothing 'weird' happens before I delete the old account.

Plugin Contributions

By the way Rob- my hosting account allows as many domains as i want (through WHM and with each havings its own cPanel) and 4 different IP addresses.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    These FAQs explain the concepts:

I want to move my Zen Cart installation to another host or a different server

DB Backup with phpMyAdmin

If you can still login to the old domain's account, you can do the export. Be sure to do the import, and test that it's working properly, on the new account before deleting the old one. (Remember, you'll need to update your 2 configure.php files to name the new database.)

I agree with Website Rob: Your hosting company can do this for you too, and probably much more quickly if they know their servers well enough to know how to move database files between accounts. All depends how tech savvy their staff really are.
    By the way i did not do the step in that one FAQ you linked to - the one with installing a fresh install of Zen. My Zen has been there for 6 years and too much customiztion done. It seemed rather daunting to take that on so i asked my hosting company if they would just replicate the files in my old account to my new account. Then of course I needed to do that DB stuff and tie up loose ends.

I am going in to some detail as i hope someone might benefit reading my experience here.

Plugin Contributions

If you had used just a plain Jane version of ZC to do the temporary install on your new site/folder, then the configure.php files would have been created for you and populated with the data for the database, etc... then sure could have brought over all of your other files from your old location (provided made a backup of the new configure.php files) and then wouldn't have had to "worry" about modifying the configure.php files to work with the various folder(s) or database as that would already be captured in a functional configure.php.

But yeah, maybe someone else will learn from the path taken.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    If you had used just a plain Jane version of ZC to do the temporary install on your new site/folder, then the configure.php files would have been created for you and populated with the data for the database, etc... then sure could have brought over all of your other files from your old location (provided made a backup of the new configure.php files) and then wouldn't have had to "worry" about modifying the configure.php files to work with the various folder(s) or database as that would already be captured in a functional configure.php.

But yeah, maybe someone else will learn from the path taken.
    Only thing is the time spent doesn't work out in this method's favor. Simply replicating the files over to your new account (assuming this account is on the same hosting provider or server) can be done in a service ticket request. Then making a new DB, exporting database them importing then take about three minutes to go into the config files and change the domain name and DB info.
    Last edited by gotlogos; 17 Dec 2016 at 06:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast