Plugin Contributions

Default Restrict use of coupon only for return customer

Hi! I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search the forum and google it but to no avail.

I would like to ask if it's possible to restrict coupon only for return customers (ie second purchase onwards)..

Please help me.. thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Restrict use of coupon only for return customer

My quick answer, without delving too deep, would be to create a coupon code and include it in the customer's email verifying a purchase. That way, the customer would never know the code unless they bought something. If it's their second or more purchase, it can remind them of the code.

Plugin Contributions

I admit that I'm not highly familiar with the coupon aspect of ZC (haven't had to use them), but I think part of the concern (and don't know if it is/can be an issue) is if that coupon code is shared with another individual as to whether they can use it on their first purchase or not. Meaning. Even if it were included on their first email response, would it be linked to their account only or would it be something that anyone could use if they knew it?

Otherwise, in the coupon application "process", would want to allow the use if there is a record of a successful order for that customer, and if not, then deny the use of the coupon. That would likely be something that could be tested against in or by observer of the start of the header file for includes/modules/pages/checkout_payment/header_php.php

Would require some form of sql lookup against the logged in user and the orders table possibly with the orders_history table where the status of the order shows "above" a certain status such as "processing" (typically status of 2). I suggest this check because if the store allows a "purchase" to be made, but there is some sort of "error" that considers the purchase incomplete, then the customer could then make a "second" purchase using the coupon they more than likely just received, and then possibly try to cancel the first order which just makes things messy for everyone...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

MC, I think you might be trying to shoot a fly with a shotgun.
    I would like to ask if it's possible to restrict coupon only for return customers (ie second purchase onwards)..
    To me that means everyone can use the code, they just don't need to know it UNTIL they've made a purchase.
    Adding a paragraph with the coupon code to the Order Confirmation e-mail would seem to be the easiest solution. No one would receive the code until AFTER their first purchase.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    MC, I think you might be trying to shoot a fly with a shotgun.

To me that means everyone can use the code, they just don't need to know it UNTIL they've made a purchase.
    Adding a paragraph with the coupon code to the Order Confirmation e-mail would seem to be the easiest solution. No one would receive the code until AFTER their first purchase.
    Call it what you will, but I did and still do read:
    To indicate that no matter who the person is, do not permit the use of the coupon until they have made their first purchase... Yes, making the coupon known to a specific individual does reduce the potential use of that coupon by someone else on their first purchase, but it does not prevent that coupon code from being shared at that point and used by someone else on their first purchase (if the coupon is not restricted to an individual)...

Thus, not meeting the (understood) requested action... That said, the above about limiting initial distribution may really be all that was necessary and it is why I didn't dispute the suggestion nor go into and actually write the code to accomplish the pseudo-code described above. Perhaps someone else will want that, but the true current desire has not yet been fully expressed/understood. It could also be that the code has already been limited and an "issue" still exists that is being attempted to resolve.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

naczyls747,
    as previously discussed, the short answer is NO, out of the box ZC does not do want you want.

the long answer is yes, if you want to do some custom coding. once could either modify:

includes/modules/order_total/ot_coupon.php

or perhaps make it work with an observer as MC previously suggested.

in addition, you might need to modify the coupons table and the admin section of setting up the coupon to indicate whether new customers could use the coupon code or not.

or there's the workaround that dbltoe offered

i hope that helps.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.