Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Display child categories of a parent in categories sidebar

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    You don't have to have "separate sites" in order to use a uri rewriter to address a category. This again goes back to proper category management. If you had a main category that was your "printing" under which only printing related items existed, then the customer could navigate the printing "tree". If they want to design something then they go to/through the design tree...

Further, if they can get to each of the "sites" from what you call your main page being wordpress, then why prevent them from getting to each of the three flavors of options when they are sitting inside the store? Instead forcing them to go back to the main page, to then navigate to one of these other sub-areas?

See, now I've done it. I've gotten vested in your overall success, rather than just trying to answer the question asked.
    Ah but thats just it, they will be able to get to all three sections as I've already built that into the plan and its already in place. I will literally just have to change the URL's on the links that take the user to these parts of the store if using one single store.
    Nick Smith - Venture Design and Print
    https://venturedesignandprint.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Display child categories of a parent in categories sidebar

Well, I just read your first post and thought of this:

Display Categories in Separate Boxes

https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=861

which I have been using for years...then I skimmed through the rest of the thread and maybe that's too simple!
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

At this point, I would say that I can't advise on what the "best" option would be because of the continued lack of cohesive concept/plan (being expressed). What I see is that:
    1) a plan has already been implemented to use some form of uri rewriting (likely htaccess redirects) to push a customer to a specific "location".
    2) the location at which to land is as accessible as any other, but is for some reason being forcibly separated from the other location(s) with no business or logical reason. (if can get to point b from point a, why not point b from point c?)
    3) product in any store may or may not be on any other store, but search engine ranking and other "benefits" is of concern.
    4) I'm not familiar with the overall care of such concerns by the multi-site module.
    5) there is concern for user experience at least as far as logins go, though this also leads toward the unique product existing in each store no duplication and what would seem to mean the need of a fourth site that has the product that would otherwise be shared among the three sites.
    6) ZC is being used to support sales from Word press.

I've kind of lost track of any additional "knowns" or requirements because it seems at each turn the expectation/need has changed.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post

which I have been using for years...then I skimmed through the rest of the thread and maybe that's too simple!
    From looking at the code, it does the same thing as was suggested in the thread, but unfortunately now the expectation/desire has changed, so that even with this previously existing code and code that was independently developed above accomplishing the same thing or nearly so, it appears that the true desire is now something different.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Display child categories of a parent in categories sidebar

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    At this point, I would say that I can't advise on what the "best" option would be because of the continued lack of cohesive concept/plan (being expressed). What I see is that:
    1) a plan has already been implemented to use some form of uri rewriting (likely htaccess redirects) to push a customer to a specific "location".
    2) the location at which to land is as accessible as any other, but is for some reason being forcibly separated from the other location(s) with no business or logical reason. (if can get to point b from point a, why not point b from point c?)
    3) product in any store may or may not be on any other store, but search engine ranking and other "benefits" is of concern.
    4) I'm not familiar with the overall care of such concerns by the multi-site module.
    5) there is concern for user experience at least as far as logins go, though this also leads toward the unique product existing in each store no duplication and what would seem to mean the need of a fourth site that has the product that would otherwise be shared among the three sites.
    6) ZC is being used to support sales from Word press.

I've kind of lost track of any additional "knowns" or requirements because it seems at each turn the expectation/need has changed.
    I think I have lost you to be honest. Nothing has changed and alot of the above is irrelevant even if you think it is relevant. I know the project and I now know the direction I will be taking. As I said before, it has been helpful having this discussion so I can make a decision on the direction I wish to go. I was confused previously on the direction. There's alot of the above that is totally wrong despite your list. Some is correct, other points aren't, but then that is why I came here to ask questions. However I can’t expect you to understand fully as you are talking from the outside and I am talking from the inside in development terms.

With regards to the URL rewriter, I had previously thought of going down this route, but there are reasons ‘for’ and ‘against’ using url rewriters. It depends how well they work for a start and how good they are for search ranks. I have used these in the past on Zen Cart with varying results. I may well use one on this project now I understand what I may need to do.

Anyway, what matters most is that despite the direction on how to implement the solution being changed, I now understand the direction in which I am heading and I will be going down this route. And another thing that matters is that the solution is implemented successfully.

Some of this discussion may appear negative to anyone else reading it, but if its given me direction then that’s all I am bothered about.

So my next task is back onto the project to implement the solution which I have learned the direction on from this discussion.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post

I don't think that is what I am after, but thanks for the input. I am confident now on which direction I am going.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678