Plugin Contributions

Default How to Install templates on v1.5.5d

Hi,
    We started a new store ( www.usphotomounts.com )
    I just installed a brand new zen cart 1.5.5d installation.
    we purchased the Edify template ( https://themeforest.net/item/edify-r...-theme/9870264 )

1- I tried to upload the template via ftp to the template folder :
    I copied the ( edify-responsive-zen-cart-theme/Theme Files/Theme/includes/templates/edify ) folder to ( /usphotomounts.com/includes/templates ),
    It shows in the back end when I go to tools/template selection.
    When I choose it, reset the layout boxes, install the sql patch, the whole website goes down and gives me a blank white screen.

2- Tried to to copy the ( edify-responsive-zen-cart-theme/Theme Files/Theme/includes ) folder to the root of my top folder of the zen cart installation, but
    it didn't`t work.

3- I tried to follow the instructions that came with the template :
    This is the Package I received :

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 11.29.23 AM.png
Views: 707
Size:  48.1 KB

The instructions says to change the name of the admin folder to be exact as the name of my admin folder, and then copy the whole folders to the installation folder of my zen cart.
    I did so and I Overwrite the original folder and files that came with the zen cart 1.5.5d installation.

The edify template showed in the Tools/template selection
    Once I refreshed the page, it gave me error 400, and all website is down.

4- I contacted the Template developer and they said that they do not support installation, however it should work with no issues if I followed the instructions and copied the folders to it`s proper place.

Now I had to create a new database and install it from scratch, Now I have a brand new full installation of Zen Cart 1.5.5d.
    Just need to apply the purchased template.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    ED

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to Install templates on Zen Cart 1.5.5d

Couple of things.

Having purchased the template, the author ought to support installation in one way or another whether it be as part of the purchase or a separate one.

A blank screen usually means there is an associated error log: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page

The structure shown in the image indicates that there may be other files within the includes folder other than just the files deep in the template path you described at the beginning of your message.

Caution should be taken with simply overwriting files rather than merging the changes made to the file(s) as compared to the version(s) for which it was written.

ZC 1.5.5 introduced some significant differences as compared to previous versions. If the template was not specifically identified to work with ZC 1.5.5 then there are likely to be issues with it once installed.

Back on the first statement I made, specific assistance is likely to be limited because the template was purchased, they the sellers should provide some level of support...

There are FAQS on the template system that may be able to help

Lastly, welcome to zen cart, it is unfortunate that you've already experienced this difficulty. Hopefully it won't stop you from continuing to pursue using this open source software!
    Last edited by mc12345678; 11 Jan 2017 at 07:15 PM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate that.
    I even tried to install Tableau template but I faced the same problem.
    I tried to find any guide lines to install it, but unfortunately I didn't find any step by step instructions.

Is there any thread here showing the step by step installation for templates with Zen Cart 1.5.5d
    I`m sorry for annoying, but I`m new in Zen Cart and this is my first project.

NB: I`m ok with the Tableau template if I can get it working, I can use it instead of the edify one, so if you can help me to install the Tableau, that would be great.

If you still need any more information that could help, please let me know.

Thanks again.
    ED

Plugin Contributions

No problem. :)

So, right now I would say that things are at odds... the majority of templates that have been made available here work fine out-of-the-box with ZC 1.5.4 and below, but may require some "fine-tuning" to work with ZC 1.5.5 (orig through d).

There are about three different things with which to contend.
    1) placing the files in the correct location (most already are in the correct folder structure with most of the files not touching any existing file which is considered "best").
    2) making modifications to those files so that they are "in-line" with the default version of the same file (see the discussion about the template override system and other template links at this FAQ section
    And 3) incorporating the files that may be necessary for the template to work on ZC 1.5.5. (usually can find this information within the later posts within the thread for the template, so no don't have to read 1000 posts, just start from the back.)

Things that help in all of this are good tools, ftp, file compare, plain text editor, etc... and knowing where/how to look/search for things. Blank screen, sql error, CONSTANT instead of text being displayed, cache needing to be cleared, etc... :) Most of these things are covered in the FAQ area, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) some useful information is hidden in an area that might seem more applicable (or should be available) from another. (sort of like a linked product once you get familiar with other ZC basics.)

All that said, if you keep pushing forwards to learn the ZC structure, get something even simple setup and running, with a backup on which to make mistakes, you can be very productive in many ways...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by edendrawes View Post
    we purchased the Edify template ( https://themeforest.net/item/edify-r...-theme/9870264 )
    A common, and often critical mistake many people make when setting out with zencart. These commercial templates generally present nothing but problems and are usually not supported by their authors.

You should "swallow hard" and just dump it... It will cause endless headaches and you will be spending more time on the forum crying for help, than you will running your new business.

The templates by Picaflor Azul are really very good and are mostly mobile-responsive. The core responsive template in the package is very easy to re-style and re-shape.

Seriously... if you are new to this software, don't buy bits off the web - come here first and ask if the vendor is "reliable" - people here will usually give you a good answer.
    20 years a Zencart User