how to set up shipping box, add one item per box,
    or there has way to control

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to set up shipping box, add one item per box

Quote Originally Posted by soso838 View Post
    https://www.screencast.com/t/Pxa8BDWdxTl6
    how to set up shipping box, add one item per box,
    or there has way to control
    I could be wrong, but I don't think this is possible using a 'live quote' module such as the UPS. Well, not without modifications.

The 'problem' is that because each product in the cart could be of different weights and sizes, the cost for each would be different, so in order to function, a separate quote (server request) will be needed for each item, and then the individual costs added to produce the final figure. This is a very inefficient method because the server responses aren't instant, so if we assume it takes just 5 seconds for a single response, and the cart contains just 10 products, that means a delay of 50seconds before the costs can be given.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong about having needing to modify the module to achieve this, and something like CEON's 'Advanced Shipper' module (if it is still supported/available) may even be a viable option. The important point I wish to make though is that what you are seeking isn't quite as simple as 'If one product sent to xyz costs $xx.xx then 2 products will cost 2 x $xx.xx - unless of course all the cart contents are of the same weight and dimensions.

There is also a downside to this "1 item 1 parcel approach" in that it denies the customers the opportunity to combine shipping costs - which can actually cost sales. Oftentimes when I (and others) shop online we will find that shipping can be expensive in relation to a given product cost, and that it is often possible to add more products to the cart *without* increasing the shipping costs (4x100gm items or 400gm total weight would typically cost the same as 1x100gm item) with most carriers, so I'd buy 4 at a time for good value, even though I may only actually need one of whatever it is.

Shipping costs are quite a complex issue - far more than most people realise.

Cheers
    RodG
    Last edited by RodG; 22 Jan 2017 at 06:50 AM.