Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading to 1.5 with limited hosting resources

Hi there, I have inherited a webstore that runs 1.3.9 and have been tasked with upgrading it as the website it is on now uses PHP 5.6 and this is causing issues.

My problem is, I have backed up the database and all files but cannot create a new database to install a test site on.
    My question is, if the site is a basic 1.3.9 install with only a custom template and no other changes is it relatively safe to FTP 1.5 over it and go from there?

Have you got any tips or advice? I am comfortable with most web tasks but am no means an expert.

Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading to 1.5 with limited resources

When you say you "cannot create a new database", is it that you unable to create an additional database in your hosted account due to account restrictions?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobber View Post
    Hi there, I have inherited a webstore that runs 1.3.9 and have been tasked with upgrading it as the website it is on now uses PHP 5.6 and this is causing issues.

My problem is, I have backed up the database and all files but cannot create a new database to install a test site on.
    My question is, if the site is a basic 1.3.9 install with only a custom template and no other changes is it relatively safe to FTP 1.5 over it and go from there?

Have you got any tips or advice? I am comfortable with most web tasks but am no means an expert.

Thanks in advance.
    If you only have a single database, that makes things a bit more "risky", but an upgrade can still be done. Does your host not allow more than one dbase? If so... lousy host... I'd pay a dollar a month more to a host that at least allows 2 or three. If you're feeling unsure, contact the host and ask what it would involve to increase the number of dbases you can have.

Anyway.... to continue.

I generally back-up the database(s) via PHP-MY-ADMIN. I feel more comfortable this way. I do a full EXPORT of it, and save it to a local drive. I have the "luxury" of being able to have almost unlimited dbases (very good host), so after backing up, i also get php-myadmin to make a COPY of it (with a different name).

Once COPIED or backed up, it is not a good idea to run a live webstore. In fact, you should put it down for maintenance before you do the final backup prior to upgrading.

There is a full tutorial on doing the upgrade, so i won't repeat it here.

As long as you have a RELIABLE backup, and you know how to RESTORE it, then an upgrade should be relatively "routine" - especially if you have NO modifications to CORE files. But best be sure of this... it's a pain if you have got mods (even if these are small custom edits).

Use a file comparison tool like Beyond-Compare to check your files against those in an untouched set of 1.5.5d files.
    19 years a Zencart User

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The recommended upgrade process is outlined here: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3

It outlines how to set up a temporary "copy" of your entire site+database, so that you can iron out any "issues" before then doing the actual upgrade on the "live" site. This is to avoid having your site "down" while you sort out any issues caused by changes between versions or outdated plugins etc.

But, if you can afford to have the "live" site be "down" or "unpredictable" for the time it takes you to do the actual upgrade and sort out any surprises (could be 1 hour, or could be 3-X days, depending on what kinds of changes are involved with this site), then go ahead and make full backups of all the files and the database ( http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...atabase-backup ) and do the upgrade directly on the live site. Just be prepared to have confused customers if they visit while in the middle of upgrading if anything's temporarily broken.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

To the question of overwriting the files...

In each version, sometimes a file gets added, sometimes it gets overwritten, and sometimes a file gets removed.

"Pasting" the files over top of the existing files will help out with the condition of existing files being changed and the addition of new files, but it doesn't remove files. Some of the files to be removed need to be in order to continue operation. Some just need to be because they no longer serve their original purpose.

That's where a number of the above suggestions fit in. Using comparison software allows identifying what exists on your server that is not in a default install (doesn't mean the file(s) need to be removed per se, but do need to be evaluated.) Following the instruction provided (and any number of other related FAQs such as how to setup/operate a local version) should lead you to a similar solution.

Backup, backup, and backup are the best advice in all regards. No data loss if you have all the data and nothing is being done to create new data. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the replies all, I am reading through them now and putting together answers

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading to 1.5 with limited hosting resources

Thanks all for the replies, really good info.
    I have found out I can set up another database, just that it costs money. I can do this, it seems a bit old fashioned and I have seen other hosting packages with multiple databases for free, so that's frustrating.

I'll compare the files first then go from there.
    The store is not very busy but it is very useful, so downtime would be OK.

Thanks for the help so far everyone

Plugin Contributions

Your FIRST task is to download ALL folders and files to a local drive.
    Then, download a zip file of the latest ZC version; unzip into a separate folder.

Then, using a file comparison tool (Beyond Compare is what I use, and VERY helpful) to find all files that are either DIFFERENT, or non-existant in either of the two systems (ie: your site VS ver 1.5.5d).

In many cases, customised changes are LARGELY in LANGUAGE and TEMPLATE files, though these can also occur in many other folders (MODULES, FUNCTIONS, etc...)

Custom templates sometimes invoke dbase changes, so it can be useful to know if the custom template you have been using has done this.

You say that there are NO additional modules... That makes life easier, but you must be sure of this. Even stuff you bolt onto admin functionality needs to be considered (eg: you may be using easypopulate, or superorders....)

The point is to make absolutely sure that any files you NEED are correct, and any that you no longer need are removed.

The CHANGELOG is a vital chronological pointer to important file updates. Each version upgrade lists these, and I always print them out and use the lists as a principal checklist. These are files I look at FIRST. As they are CORE files, they must be accurate.

Then... check the forum for posts on bug fixes and anciliary changes made to files in a release, that may not be present in your download of the latest zc version. In general, this is uncommon... the latest ZIP of the current version is usually corrected BEFORE the dev team posts a bug-fix.
    Last edited by schoolboy; 1 Feb 2017 at 08:39 AM.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Schoolboy already touched on this; however, the below was largely written yesterday but I did not finish it until now.

If you are inclined to do it, you can set up a local server setup on your "home" computer, install/upgrade and then eventually transfer the files to your host where you can perform the actual update/upgrade of your live site. You can do this using freely available software. It takes a little work to set it up, but it is at no direct financial cost.

Alternatively, you could use the existing database, but an alternative DB_PREFIX at least for "initial" testing. One reason I use a DB_PREFIX to begin with is to "easily" support this type of situation, where a simple search and replace can be performed and the database duplicated. I guess a "quick" switch-a-roo could also be performed possibly using the zc_install process to automatically revise the prefix. I haven't used it to do so, but it is an option offered during at least more recent versions of the software. Here is a definite time when having/making a backup of the existing store is crucial. So, the process I could conceive here would be to place the store in maintenance mode, backup the database, do the "rename", then import the backup, restore site operation and continue making modifications for the new store using the renamed database. Take note of database changes that you apply as you go along from this point as you will need to do those again when you update the live "old" database to put the site in the new, updated state.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...