Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Catalog Download

Does your store use the "Information" sidebox? If so, you could customize that to provide a link to your downloadable catalog.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Maynards View Post
    Thanks guys for trying to help me out. I am not very versed on the process and where and how to embed this PDF and maybe it cannot be done the way I was thinking.
    But if it is possible I think I would like to create a side box with a picture of a catalog and when a customer would click on it, it would take them to our PDF catalog which would be a new window.
    Working with HTML is not a zencart issue. If you want to manage your website yourself, then you must take the time and trouble to learn the basics of directory structure and HTML. It helps if you have a reasonable idea of the zencart folder and file structure and also that you have the right tools to work on your web server remotely via your personal computer.

It would appear that you must have had someone else doing all this for you, because what you ask is actually very basic stuff. Perhaps get in touch with the person (or organisation) that built your site and ask them to add a link in a place where you would like it to appear.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Working with HTML is not a zencart issue. If you want to manage your website yourself, then you must take the time and trouble to learn the basics of directory structure and HTML. It helps if you have a reasonable idea of the zencart folder and file structure and also that you have the right tools to work on your web server remotely via your personal computer.

It would appear that you must have had someone else doing all this for you, because what you ask is actually very basic stuff. Perhaps get in touch with the person (or organisation) that built your site and ask them to add a link in a place where you would like it to appear.
    Once again thanks everyone for trying to help me out. Late last night I did figure out how to put it on my website.

I know with my questions that it may appear that I have had help with this site but the answer is no with the exception of this forum community. The problem with many of us using Zencart is that our main thing is taking care of business rather than working on a website (unless that is your business). I do forget website structure, folders and files because I am not using it everyday. I do enjoy working with the website that is why I do not pay someone to do it for me.

Once again I do thank this forum.

Plugin Contributions

I have a question. (well several). One I dont know how to start a new thread, so I am asking here. Sorry if not place to do so. I am computer stupid. I have uploaded a file for a book, to my download page. I am supposed to add the proper information for the new ebook: Titl, Description, Price, etc.I don't know how or what to do. Where is the file. I've looked in the catalogue file and not there, yet it says its in my downloads page (host). Please if anyone can help me, greatly appreciated. Please be exact and not techno jargon. Think of a dummy and inform me that way please. I thank all who help!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Frustrated555 View Post
    I have a question. (well several). One I dont know how to start a new thread, so I am asking here. Sorry if not place to do so. I am computer stupid. I have uploaded a file for a book, to my download page. I am supposed to add the proper information for the new ebook: Titl, Description, Price, etc.I don't know how or what to do. Where is the file. I've looked in the catalogue file and not there, yet it says its in my downloads page (host). Please if anyone can help me, greatly appreciated. Please be exact and not techno jargon. Think of a dummy and inform me that way please. I thank all who help!
    Welcome to ZC. Okay, so to start a new thread, you would go to an "area" like at the top of the screen (desktop) there is a forums button. That will bring up a list of "areas". Select an area that seems appropriate to your topic, then also towards the top should be a button similar to start a new thread. Tada.

So, in reference to the other issue. It would help to understand (in easy or techno babble) what is meant by having uploaded the file to the downloads "page". Ie, were you using a file manager with your host? Did you use a program that supports the file transfer protocol (ftp), or some other method?

Part of why I'm asking, is that some hosts using some methods of connection, will let you upload a file to an area, but not let you see it then after that. Ie. I have used a program/access method called webftp which is basicaly a Web page that let's me transfer files to and from the server and also to view the contents of some of them. Problem is, it will not let me view files that have an extension (end of the filename) that have .log. Good for security, bad for someone that needs to be able to see. There are ways around that, I'm just using it as an example.

So, if we assume that the file was dropped into your downloads directory, then you will basically (eventually) need to know the filename from start to finish.

There are a number of plugin's that can help/support. But assuming you want to sell this ebook, you will need to create a product from your admin. (note: do not disclose your admin directory either in text or a screen shot.)

From there you will type in details about your product (you have 15 minutes to move to another page or what has been entered to that point may be lost). Suggestion is to possibly take a look at the information that is expected on that window, then open up your favorite text only editor, and type in what you would like to be seen on the screen. Then when it seems ready, copy and paste the information on that product information screen (having arrived at that screen "recently" so that again the content pasted won't be lost.)

Then after you have the base product information entered, next thing to do is to incorporate all of the other data. Which in your case is to add attributes to support file download. That starts in the catalog->options names area, moves on the options values manager, then attributes manager and hopefully a product with all info identified finally. Okay, so I cut the end short, but I've had this page up probably 5 times in an attempt to give you some guidance so maybe it will help, maybe not...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12