Plugin Contributions

Default Remove PayPal Express from Checkout Page but keep PayPal button on Shopping Cart page

How do I remove PayPal Express from Checkout Page but keep PayPal button on Shopping Cart page?

Behavior . . .
    Redundant PayPal Express on Checkout Page
    After adding an item to their cart the customer is taken to The Shopping Cart which among other things allows the customer to click on either "Check out" or "Checkout with PayPal" (i.e., PayPal Express Checkout). This is good.

The customer clicking on "Check out" (but not logged in to an account) is then taken to a login screen with separate sections for New Customers vs Returning Customers. The New Customers section redundantly again presents the "Checkout with PayPal" option here. This is bad. I do not want it presented here again after the customer already chose not to click on it on their last screen. How do I get rid of it from this page?

I already tried . . .
    <admin> <Modules> <Payment> <PayPal Express Checkout> <Express Checkout Shortcut Button> <Off>

Turn off Express Checkout Shortcut Button On/Off unfortunately not only removes it from the above mentioned login screen (which is good) but also removes the "Checkout with PayPal" button from The Shopping Cart page (which I want to keep).

zc 1.5.5.a
    Responsive Classic (built in to Zen Cart v1.5.5)
    PayPal Payments Pro
    PayPal Express Checkout

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Remove PayPal Express from Checkout Page but keep PayPal button on Shopping Cart

Actually for the customer that didn't realize the benefit of selecting PayPal express checkout on the shopping cart page, this is the opportunity to explain what it's all about and how purchasing with it can increase the speed of checkout. Of course if that all was done on the shopping cart page then perhaps it could be seen as redundant, but don't see how it is bad to have it present. What issue is it causing?

Are you also wanting it not to be available on the checkout_payments page considering the same logic that since the customer didn't choose to click the button on the shopping_cart page?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Remove PayPal Express from Checkout Page but keep PayPal button on Shopping Cart

What about the scenario where a customer adds a product to their cart and continues shopping (not ready to checkout), finds nothing more to add, and then wishes to checkout?

With your proposed change they would need to go back and 'view' cart to find the express checkout button, where they would probably be expecting to *also* see it when clicking the checkout option from any other page.

If they don't see it on the chackout page will they 'know' they need to go back to the 'view cart' page to find it again? I doubt it.

IOW, the button isn't exactly superfluous, it is just an alternative place where most folk would expect to see it (more so than the one in the view cart page).

Just something to think about.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    What about the scenario where a customer adds a product to their cart and continues shopping (not ready to checkout), finds nothing more to add, and then wishes to checkout?

With your proposed change they would need to go back and 'view' cart to find the express checkout button, where they would probably be expecting to *also* see it when clicking the checkout option from any other page.

If they don't see it on the chackout page will they 'know' they need to go back to the 'view cart' page to find it again? I doubt it.

IOW, the button isn't exactly superfluous, it is just an alternative place where most folk would expect to see it (more so than the one in the view cart page).

Just something to think about.

Cheers
    RodG
    Hey RodG, Those are some useful insights. Thanks! So, I think my original plan may not be as good as I hoped.
    However, I still don't like that the new customer who has just been presented with the option of using paypal and chose not to click on the paypal button but instead clicked on the check out button is now taken to and presented with the same identical choices (this is the redundant part) and required to click on yet another link to "sign up". I think this is an unnecessary extra click . . . I think that's bad. It would be better if at this point the new customer was presented with the same immediate opportunity to fill in their billing info as is the case for Zencart when PayPal Express is not installed. How can I achieve that? I would also include a link to PayPal on that page (as you rightly pointed out).

Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you don't want the button on the login page, you can edit the login template file and remove the call to load the button.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

While in that template file, you could also move up the module file that is at the end of the file so that all of the create account fields are present, or could perhaps consider installing any of the other plugin's that have been designed to possibly shorten the checkout process, COWOA, FEC, or another that is a one page checkout, or any others that I may have missed...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...