Plugin Contributions

Default Looking for Template/Theme ... Is this common?

I'm looking through page after page of templates...waiting for that ONE to just "grab" me. You know, ya just get a feeling that you need look no further cause this is IT. What I'm noticing is that most either do not offer the catagories, that actually show what you are selling, up top so the customer can just sit down, pull up your store and chose directly what they want to look at, but instead have to scroll OR they have the list of categories along the left side (sometimes right, but rarely) and AGAIN along the top. WHY? I should add that these are working websites that I have been looking at too to get a idea of the look I want...but some are just demos. Demos I'm guessing do this to show the option? So you like the colors behind it but when you don't want to dup the category list to the top bar you lose the bar? Some are just HUGE obnoxious photos that just overwhelms the customer ! Any suggestions for some not quite "old fashion", but not for people that apparently can't read and must navigate by photos only either... I don't mind paying for one, just something that's a pleasure to look at?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looking for Template/Theme ... Is this common?

You do know that, like most things in Zen Cart, that top row of categories can be turned off, right?
    Alternatively you can leave it and turn off the category sidebox.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I do know that ...lol just wondering if it was the new "look" to have info in both places so close together or if there was another reason I'm missing.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LilleyPadGifts View Post
    Yes, I do know that ...lol just wondering if it was the new "look" to have info in both places so close together or if there was another reason I'm missing.
    New since about v1.3.8 in 2007/2008.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LilleyPadGifts View Post
    I'm looking through page after page of templates...waiting for that ONE to just "grab" me.
    In my experience, it's FUNCTIONALITY that matters most - not "cosmetics". And very often, what I like personally is not what suits customers.

So, over the years, I have followed expert research (like Forresters, Econsultancy and Jacob Nielsen) to see what CUSTOMERS like when visiting a webshop. This research consistently shows that customers like:-

1. SIMPLICITY. Nonsense like scrolling banners, internal adverts, busy side-columns, etc. are now sure-fire ways to drive people off your website.

2. STRUCTURE and NAVIGATIONAL LOGIC. People "expect" websites to behave in certain ways. One researcher has called it the "supermarket syndrome". Major supermarket chains set out their shops (in the highstreets of towns) in more or less identical ways, so if you visit Walmart in Los Angeles and again in New York, you will intuitively "know" where to go to find what you are looking for. This makes shoppers feel confident and relaxed. So, I make my websites follow layouts that are MOST COMMON... When people visit my site, they are familiar with the structure, because they have seen and used it on many other sites. When your website is "different", you may think you are showcasing a unique experience and that it's better for your shop, but if customers have to spend longer than 8 seconds trying to work out HOW a site works, they are very likely to abandon it.

3. CATEGORY ORGANISATION. Like any store in any town, the structure of categories and products is vital.

4. ONE PAGE CHECKOUT. These days, this is essential. All good webshops have fast checkout.

5. NO EXTERNAL LINKS. Resist the temptation to make links to Social Media, Blogs and other distractions. If you do have them, put them at the bottom of the page, nice and SMALL. Tempting people to leave the site is like standing at the door of your shop, pointing customers to competitors across the road.

6. SSL SECURE. This should be obvious

7. SMALL BRAND LOGO. Many small webshop owners think that the larger their logo the better. The shop is there to showcase PRODUCTS - not your ego. The shop logo should be small - MAX 50px high and 200px wide.

Along with all the technical elements like RESPONSIVE TEMPLATES, Pagespeed and VALID CODE, the above are important.

------------------------------------------

SO... almost ANY good responsive template can be re-structured to incorporate brand design. We use a lot of the PICAFLOR AZUL templates because they adhere to core zencart functionality (VERY important), but we alter the design quite a lot. (CSS and certain PHP re-organisation).

It's not difficult to "adapt" Picaflor templates to meet design needs. But as said... we design according to expert research and advice on how PEOPLE like websites to work - not how WE like them to look.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for that info! That is extremely helpful and why I posted asking the question in the first place!
    You rock!!

Plugin Contributions

To add to website rob, avoid store-bought templates as much as possible. They look great but most are the "pigs with lipstick" variety. ANY change you want to make to those is a nightmare.