Plugin Contributions

Default Free shipping with option to upgrade.

I have just started building my website with Zen Cart. I have extremely limited knowledge of .php and .css.
    My website is www.grannynel.com/index.php (I have an index.html page redirecting traffic to my eBay and Bonanza stores while I’m working on this.)

I want to offer free shipping on all of my products, with an option to pay extra for expedited shipping. I have searched the forums, and have only found information on how to set up free shipping with a minimum order.

I have activated both Flat Rate and freeoptions. When I do a test order, this shows up in my shopping cart:
    Shipping Method:
    Please select the preferred shipping method to use on this order.
    Free Shipping
    Free shipping for orders over $0.00

There is nothing for the expedited option.

On my product page I have “no” checked on Always Free Shipping and Product Shipping Weight 0

My freeoptions settings are:

Enable Free Options Shipping: True
    Shipping Cost: 0.00
    Handling Fee: 0
    Total >=: 0.00
    Total <=: {no entry}
    Weight >=: 0
    Weight <=: 0
    Item Count >=: 1
    Item Count <=: 0
    Tax Class: --none--
    Tax Basis: Shipping
    Shipping Zone: --none--
    Sort Order: 1

My Flat Rate Settings are:

Flat Rate

Enable Flat Shipping: True
    Shipping Cost: 5.00
    Sort Order: 3
    I have over 1000 products to add to my site and if the problem is in the product page settings, I don’t want to go much further.

Can someone please let me know what I’m doing wrong? And please be gentle, remember, I’m a total newbie.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free shipping with option to upgrade.

Go to configuration->shipping/packaging and adjust the setting for Order Free Shipping 0 Weight Status setting to a value of 0.

Try again and see if that provides what you are wanting or some semblance of it. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your help. Tried that.

Now it's giving me an error message " Your available shipping options have changed. Please re-select your desired shipping method.", but there is no place to make a selection.

It still shows "Please select the preferred shipping method to use on this order.
    Free Shipping
    Free shipping for orders over $0.00"

Plugin Contributions

I just took a default ZC store, and have just about every shipping option enabled. I even setup the freeoptions module the same way of having a minimum of 1 product. Now I didn't change the sort order of the modules but had them all at the same sort order.

As for the message that was displayed, I'm thinking that was seen because perhaps you were on the store side during the time that the settings were changed on the admin side. Perhaps if you try/tried to log out and go through the checkout/login process again it may work better?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I'll try that.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by grannynel View Post
    I have just started building my website with Zen Cart. I have extremely limited knowledge of .php and .css.
    My website is www.grannynel.com/index.php (I have an index.html page redirecting traffic to my eBay and Bonanza stores while I’m working on this.)

I want to offer free shipping on all of my products, with an option to pay extra for expedited shipping. I have searched the forums, and have only found information on how to set up free shipping with a minimum order.

I have activated both Flat Rate and freeoptions. When I do a test order, this shows up in my shopping cart:
    Shipping Method:
    Please select the preferred shipping method to use on this order.
    Free Shipping
    Free shipping for orders over $0.00

There is nothing for the expedited option.

On my product page I have “no” checked on Always Free Shipping and Product Shipping Weight 0

My freeoptions settings are:

Enable Free Options Shipping: True
    Shipping Cost: 0.00
    Handling Fee: 0
    Total >=: 0.00
    Total <=: {no entry}
    Weight >=: 0
    Weight <=: 0
    Item Count >=: 1
    Item Count <=: 0
    Sort Order: 1

My Flat Rate Settings are:

Flat Rate

Enable Flat Shipping: True
    Shipping Cost: 5.00
    Sort Order: 3
    I have over 1000 products to add to my site and if the problem is in the product page settings, I don’t want to go much further.

Can someone please let me know what I’m doing wrong? And please be gentle, remember, I’m a total newbie.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
    Inaccurate postage (shipping) charges have several consequences.

1. If "too expensive", people often abandon their shopping session and go elsewhere. This is true even if people "believe" your postal charges are too high, compared with what they are used to paying, or if conpetitors offer lower postal charges. I do not know what you are selling, but if there are products that are low priced, and that could be posted for around $1 or $2 , people get annoyed if they are "forced" to pay a minimum of $5. In cases where the cart total is less than $5, the postal charge will be higher than the order value. This is a sure-fire way to chase your customers away.

2. If "too cheap", you are subsidising postal charges out of your profit margin - and this is not good for business. Again... I don't know what you are selling, but if you are having to subsidise postal charges on too many orders, you are losing money.

So... on the one hand, high charges frighten customers away, and low charges (including "free" postage) eat into your profits (and add risk to your business).

Either way, you can affect the potential success/failure of your business. Remember... making a SALE is not the same as making a PROFIT... (A mistake many novice business people make).

BEFORE you set up shipping in your zencart admin, the FIRST thing to do is decide on HOW you will ship or post your orders. What services will you use? Who will take your dispatches and deliver them to your customers? This could be the usual Postal Service (USPS) or may be a combination of postal services and courier services (DHL, FedEx, TNT...) - or maybe just courier services...

Whatever system(s) you choose, you need to enable shipping options that will calculate and apply accurate postage/shipping charges for your customers.

So you need to know what YOU are going to be charged (by the postal or courier companies), before you can program your zencart store, so that your store automatically applies fair and correct rates to your customers' shopping carts. Get a copy of the RATE CARD published by your shipping service - see how they calculate their rates. Usually, this is based on the WEIGHT of the consignment. This means, that if you apply their rates, your website must add up the WEIGHT of a shopper's cart in order to apply various postal charges. So, every product in your store must be represented with its WEIGHT. This is applied when you ADD/EDIT a product in admin.

In the USA, you still use ancient "pounds and ounces", which makes life a bit more challenging, because you need to represent weight in decimal format. A product weighing 2 ounces, is 2/16 of a pound, or 1/8 pound = 0.125 of a pound. So... if a product weighs 2 ounces, you enter 0.125 in the WEIGHT field of the product. (Just why the USA is the ONLY major country that still uses imperial measurements is beyond me...).

Anyway... when all your products have their weights represented in zencart, you can apply any shipping module that configures to accommdate your postal service. There is a USPS module which is easy to enable. If you use a courier, then you can set up ZONES, or TABLE, modules. There is a combined plugin called ZONETABLES which I use, and which allows for a lot of flexibility in configuring shipping - especially if you sell to many countries.

Using these modules FIRST requires configuration of ZONES in zencart. The zencart BOOK is excellent at showing HOW this is done, and there are tutorials in this site and on youtube.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your input. At this time, the $5.00 shipping charge is an arbitrary amount I put in until I figure out how to get the results I want, which is to give the customer the choice. Most will choose free shipping, with the additional shipping charge being if the customer wants expedited shipping (i.e. Priority Mail). We currently offer free shipping by USPS First Class Mail on all of our products. We have allowed for the shipping cost in our price to be sure we're not losing money.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by grannynel View Post
    Thanks for your input. At this time, the $5.00 shipping charge is an arbitrary amount I put in until I figure out how to get the results I want, which is to give the customer the choice. Most will choose free shipping, with the additional shipping charge being if the customer wants expedited shipping (i.e. Priority Mail). We currently offer free shipping by USPS First Class Mail on all of our products. We have allowed for the shipping cost in our price to be sure we're not losing money.
    Are you still having issues setting this up?

Should not be problematic with a new install obtained from this site. I can't speak to operation by an auto-installer/alternate code.

Plugin Contributions

Have following shipping method enabled.

Always Free shipping (Zone only one state in US) for selected products.

Free Shipping (Freeoptions) above $20 Zone All USA

and Flat Rate shipping for products / order total below $20. Zone All USA

Issue running into is:
    If always free shipping Yes and No products are in cart it shows no shipping method on checkout.

If comment out code for Disable when whole cart is free shipping
    then both always free shipping and flat rate show up same time which does not look good.

How to Display Always Free shipping for selected product and Zone and Flat rate or Free Shipping/Freeoptions for other products.

Right now Always Free Shipping and Freeoptions are working fine it's just Flat rate does not show up for Not Always free shipping products or show up with Always Free shipping method if comment out code for disable when whole cart is free shipping.