Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Issue with EV SSL renewal

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    If I were to properly split through the above, this might be "easier" but, I'm lazy. :)
    <smiles>

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Further unfortunately, it seems that perhaps a similar rewrite/redirect previously existed, but wasn't known to exist and when touching the site the host modified something to accomplish what we all would suggest (for a new site or to plan for as a transition) which is to place the site/software at the root of the domain name regardless of how many sub-directories exist on the "back-end". Regardless they changed the operation and have falsely accused ZC as being the fault.

OP, choose what you would like. Right now your what, at least 3 days without guests arriving at your store by typing in the domain name... How's traffic been? Reduced? Sales? Any change? Are you wanting operation as it was and setting aside time to address the other things that we're here talking about? I would suggest doing something, either move the document root, or move the store from the sub-directory to the document root, or redirect visitors to the sub-directory. Right now as you discovered, entering just the domain-name gives a 403 forbidden page which means off to the next site if/when provided.
    I am in total agreement with all that you have written here.

As for all else that we have discussed, I am happy to conditionally agree, completely agree, or agree to disagree (depending on which particular point is/was being discussed).

I knew I ran the risk of this 'debate' when I tossed my 2cents worth into things, even though I 'knew' that the points I was making would be of no help to the OP in any way, but I was/am hoping that the principles I outlined would be useful/helpful to others (the prime point being 'get the document_root right first, and the other fixes/workarounds will never be needed), so kudos to you for bringing it back on track with suggestions and ideas that will be helpful to the OP... and the OP is the important part of this thread.

I know he is in good hands with you as a guide. You were *not* one of those that I was thinking of with my "I will never really understand why so many people make this so difficult for themselves" comment (which was more of a general swipe at the many that consider redirects/rewrites as the 1st, and sometimes only, option).

All good. No further debate from me.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    As for all else that we have discussed, I am happy to conditionally agree, completely agree, or agree to disagree (depending on which particular point is/was being discussed).
    I take this back. I've just re-read all that you had to say on a larger screen and must've mis read the 1st time. I completely agree with all the comments and points you made.

Sorry about that. ... err, well, not sorry that I agree with you, sorry if I left you thinking that there was something there that I didn't agree with.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    I take this back. I've just re-read all that you had to say on a larger screen and must've mis read the 1st time. I completely agree with all the comments and points you made.

Sorry about that. ... err, well, not sorry that I agree with you, sorry if I left you thinking that there was something there that I didn't agree with.

Cheers
    RodG
    Actually, I figured that perhaps with the book or the note open that there was likely something of the educator in you that would/could see some fault. To either issue I am not/was not concerned. I'm glad though that I think we both got to what was needed. A discussion about a proper way to start and a path (right or wrong) of how to return to what was normal. A lot of "swag" in that last part, but better to be out there and in business than to be worried about the presence of a subdirectory.

Hey, you in all of the discussion you brought me around to fully understand the statement/discussion of the document root being wrong at least at the onset of the site establishment it appears that or could appear that the host could have made things "easier" for the site. OK, I know puts a lot of ownership in the host getting involved without being asked and finger points into the great abyss... not casting blame... can't really.

But long and short of it. Looks like the site is again operational. I was beginning to wonder if it was going to go yet another day, but looks like supplying a uri without any of the three requested options/features that one now arrives at the https version with a prefix of www. and a subdirectory of catalog.

Wasn't me this time that made the changes. :)
    Last edited by mc12345678; 14 Mar 2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: ack. could have been read totally wrong
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123