Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default 10422 error code in logs, customer sees blank page instead

I tried to see if I could contact Paypal about this, but after seeing the api page it seems to suggest referring to shopping cart docs / forums instead (I am not a developer).

https://www.paypal-knowledge.com/inf..._US&id=FAQ1850

I have a customer who initially tried to order using the paypal express yellow button on shopping cart page / login page last week. They said that once they tried this route, they ultimately saw a blank screen (I assume this is on the Paypal side?) and they contacted us via email to report the issue. We then took the order over the phone and chalked it up to possible computer glitch. A week later they try to reorder and they get the same issue once again. Both occasions the error log is created (a short excerpt from the full log). They said they did not see any error message in the process at any point, just a blank screen through Paypal:-

Response:
    Array
    (
    [TIMESTAMP] => 2017-03-13T20:42:38Z
    [CORRELATIONID] => ff137dc967d08
    [ACK] => Failure
    [VERSION] => 124.0
    [BUILD] => 31129382
    [L_ERRORCODE0] => 10422
    [L_SHORTMESSAGE0] => Customer must choose new funding sources.
    [L_LONGMESSAGE0] => The customer must return to PayPal to select new funding sources.
    [L_SEVERITYCODE0] => Error
    [CURL_ERRORS] =>
    )

DoExpressCheckoutPayment, Elapsed: 2587ms -- Failure
    They say they have been using Paypal on other sites okay, this is the first time they have tried the paypal express button admittedly. Also, they did first create an account in 2015 for their first ever order. I tried to replicate the issue with paypal test account where there is no customer account in the website, and also where there is customer account in the website with same email address as the paypal oe, but I was able to create the orders fine using Paypal Express route. Admittedly, I tested in incognito session as I know Paypal cookies can be very strong (having an unrelated issue at present where I can no longer login to Paypal account properly in Firefox, I have to go private session or use another browser. Very weird).

I am fairly confident the customer is proficient with computers after talking to them on the phone. I was curious (they are too) as to what it could be, but I feel it may be cookies with Paypal as they are using Paypal on other websites. Just wanted to open this thread after trying to search for similar error logs and circumstances, but failed to find any in past threads. I am not sure if there is anything I can try, or if indeed Paypal are ultimately interested in following up on logs and possible issues. Thanks in advance for any pointers and assistance with this.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 10422 error code in logs, customer sees blank page instead

It appears that the ZC PayPal express code deals with or handles a 10422 error code by doing as suggested in the related article of returning the customer back to PayPal to attempt to use an alternate payment method.

Meaning, the ZC code appears to address the action of the article and that it is PayPal that is rejecting the payment.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do believe the problem lies with Paypal. It is a shame they don't show this to the customer instead of a blank page. Apparently this is what the customer is seeing, initially they queried if the order had gone through and payment taken as this must have been the last thing they saw through the express checkout loop. Not had the issue reported before, but I guess there is no way of knowing how many other people it affects as some people give up in the end usually. I can't replicate it myself, though the payment sources I have are okay I guess.

Will try and see if there is an integration department paypal point of contact and see if they can look into the issue their end.

Plugin Contributions

Since your customer saw a "blank page", are there any myDEBUG*.log files present in your ZC 1.5.5 store's /logs directory? As described by this FAQ article, that's one place to start looking.

Plugin Contributions

Since moving to php 7, the only logs it saves are paypal logs. I did query this with hosts and they said I have to use cpanel logs. Of course, none of the normal debug logs are stored there. I am not sure if this is to do with strict error reporting or something, I did mention this to host as its no longer controlled by php. ini file.

Plugin Contributions

When we have seen any PayPal error that suggest for the customer to use a different Payment method or different funding source, the issue (according to PayPal) is directly related to the customer's PayPal account funding and that PayPal will only discuss the error with the customer. PayPal has always indicated to us that they can see the issue but cannot discuss the matter with us, the seller.

We usually provide that information to the customer and ask that they let us know what PayPal tells them so that we can help future customers. No customer has ever provided any details of their conversation with PayPal. Our interpretation is insufficient funds, expired or disconnected backup credit card or funding source or similar. This lack of response has been from very regular customers and also one-time/first-time customers.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    When we have seen any PayPal error that suggest for the customer to use a different Payment method or different funding source, the issue (according to PayPal) is directly related to the customer's PayPal account funding and that PayPal will only discuss the error with the customer. PayPal has always indicated to us that they can see the issue but cannot discuss the matter with us, the seller.

We usually provide that information to the customer and ask that they let us know what PayPal tells them so that we can help future customers. No customer has ever provided any details of their conversation with PayPal. Our interpretation is insufficient funds, expired or disconnected backup credit card or funding source or similar. This lack of response has been from very regular customers and also one-time/first-time customers.

Thanks for that. I will perhaps get the customer to contact Paypal, if they wish to of course. I know Paypal can sometimes have issues, there was a Paypal Website Payments Pro that was happening for quite a while, but it cleared up mysteriously and not related to zencart. If I hear of anything from the customer I will report it here. It is a shame they give a blank screen, it was a Chrome browser apparently (probably nothing to do with it), probably not worth contacting Paypal as it is sensitive data. All I can find on paypal tech support is about adding some code, which I am pretty sure Zen Cart has already:-
    Code:
    if(response[‘ACK’] === “Failure”){
        if(response[‘L_ERRORCODE0’] === 10422){
            // send user back to a page which contains the checkout form and populate the fields that were filled out previously for proper UI experience (so the customer doesn’t have to retype everything)
            // let the customer know that the payment method was not accepted and they need to choose another way to pay.
        }
    }

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, Zen Cart is already doing what it's supposed to do with a 10422 error.

But it shouldn't be giving a blank screen. That's most likely caused by something amuck in the redirect process. Probably related to plugins or customizations.
    In the absence of any PHP error logging/reporting, it's really hard to pinpoint what's causing the blank page on your site. You may need to do a careful inventory of every way in which every PHP file on your server is different/extra/missing compared to original Zen Cart code, with an investigation into why each of those differences exist. The PHP error report would narrow that search down by about 99%, but if your host isn't capable of letting that work normally, other methods will have to be used.

To be clear: you're right: it shouldn't be giving a blank page. And it's probably not PayPal that's doing it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hello DrByte,
    Thankyou kindly for that. Yes that makes a lot of sense, I was thinking a little that it could be a clash with a extra plugin or module that is not inlcuded in the zencart installation files, but I discounted this thinking that normal paypal is working. But it must be something stopping the redirect from Paypal working properly. I do have a customised template also, I will have to examine those files also. Appreciate your help with that, it is a shame the hosts did not seem to understand how to allow error logs to show (paypal ones show) I think that might be my first port of call in order to track down the reason for the error.

Plugin Contributions

What if anything is in your includes/configure.php file related to DIR_FS_LOGS?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast