Thread: attributes

Plugin Contributions

Default attributes

can someone show me the right directions for setting up attributes

at the moment i sell in sets of 4 where i pick the colours £9.99.

but i would like the customer to be able to pick any 4 of the 12 colours for the set price £9.99

choosing the colours from a dropdown , with the possibilty of picking 4 of the same colours or maybe 2and 2 etc

i have spent hours searching but dont seem to be able to find anything , but words do turn you blind after a few hours

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: attributes

"Right direction" can be a bit misleading? :) I mean, you may already be on the right direction, but not really know it or haven't expressed it.

Attributes: made up of option names (group under which option values will be chosen if the option name supports such a possibility). (ie. Color) Option value, object associated with an option name that represents the chosen/selected thing. (ie: blue)

An option name can come in different "styles" dropdown (also known as list), radio button, checkbox, file, read only, upload, etc... each somewhat has its expected operations/capabilities. Like a dropdown is expected to end up with at least one selected option from it. Whereas a checkbox could have none up to all checked (selected). So there is some consideration to be had in which type to use.

So first, an applicable option name must exist. That is under catalog->option names manager.
    Once it exists, then the applicable option values must be assigned to the option name. Catalog->option values manager.

Then, these need to be tied to a product. Catalog->attributes manager or when reviewing the catalog->products/categories area, the circle a on the right side and follow prompts to attributes controller.

Now for your situation. Understand that in a default ZC store, you can add only one type of attribute at a time unless you use the checkbox option which would actually allow the product to be added without any attributes selected (remember none to all).

So, in the simple case, if they wanted to select 4 blue, then they select blue from the dropdown, then enter 4 in the quantity to add and add to the cart. Tada, 4 added. But, you have a separate requirement. Whatever is added to the cart, must eventually be some sort of grouping of 4. That includes the minimum. But, it doesn't have to be all four of the same color. The units (number of product needed to consider it acceptable to purchase the product with the given quantity) is controlled in the product information page where you edit product detail.

The thing is, and I forget this portion of the detail is that you may have to enable the min/max mix (sorry forgot term) so that the software doesn't expect/require the 4 each units to be all the same, but instead can be a mix as long as there are 4.

Anyways, not sure what about any of that was previously confusing or unknown, and I didn't take the time to look up the various FAQs that exist on the topics. So if something is unclear, perhaps you could identify what the latest document you read was that confused you (other than possibly my above babble) and explain your situation. It would be more helpful to you to have that detail.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: attributes

Most important in any drop-down is the Please Select... Value Name. Using the Please Select as Display Only and Default Selected forces the customer to make a selection. Your options would be colors 1 thru 4 each with the Please Select value and as many of the colors as you want them to have access to as the values for the color options.
    If you don't care what colors they order, all 4 options would contain the Please Select and twelve colors. If you did not want them to be able to order more than two "blue" items, "blue" would not be a value in color options 3 and 4.