Plugin Contributions

Default How to increase Authorize.net (AIM) timeout time?

Using ZC 1.5.5e we are having an issue where Authorize.net times out and the customer resubmits and basically gets charged multiple times. We called Authorize.net and they said it can be resolved by increasing the timeout time. Where would I do that?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to increase Authorize.net (AIM) timeout time?

/includes/modules/payment/authorizenet_aim.php
    around line 654 you'll see:
    Code:
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 15);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 15);
    the CONNECT timeout is for "making a connection" to the AIM server.
    The TIMEOUT is for the final response after connection.

15 seconds is a LONG time to complete a transaction. That's a LONG time for your customers to have to wait.
    And if it's taking 15 + 15 = 30 seconds, then you should be investigating WHY it's taking so long ...whether it's something with your hosting company's server config, their connection to the internet, or Authorize.net's own network (they've outsourced it to Akamai, so maybe there are problems there).

Extending the timeout is NOT the proper solution: it's only a bandage. While it may work, it's leaving your customers hanging for a very long time ... and likely to result in multiple transactions because they give up.

Extending the timeout will NOT stop customers from refreshing/resubmitting. And thus will NOT stop the multiple-charge problems.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Agreed, 15 seconds IS a long time to wait. Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Auth.net had a few "processing issues" during the last couple of weeks. Could your timeout issues be related to those issues and is no longer a problem?

It seemed like every morning I had a string of emails of issues/resolved issues from Auth.net.
    Haven't had any this week (yet).
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

This was their response:

Our advanced team investigated the "We aren't able to proceed with transaction" error that you're seeing on your website. They weren't able to locate an issue with your Authorize.Net account or system that would cause that error. If a transaction is being created it means we've successfully received the request for the transaction, processed it, and sent a response back. It is possible that the website or shopping car could not or was unable to understand the response being sent back and caused that error to display. The attachment you provided looks like code for part of the shopping cart you use. In order for our advanced team to investigate further, they will need to see the actual API request and the API response that your site got back with the transaction ID for transactions getting this error. You will need to work with your developer or shopping cart provider to get the API response and to see what would cause this error to display. If you have any further questions, please call 877-447-3938.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm not sure what "attachment" you provided to them.

The debug log that the ZC module can create appropriately scrubs your secure merchant transaction_key and the credit card numbers, because there's NO need to store those, nor transmit them by email ... and the tech team can look up all that from your account.

The logs are a (semi translated and reformatted) copy of the API request and response, and do include the "Transaction ID".

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I had the exact same issue with one of my sites. The problem would happen intermittently and of course my payment processor blamed the cart and my host. After my host and myself wasting a good month looking at everything, I called my processor and the guy casually said they had added a whole bunch of new customers and that their system is overloaded and they had just put some new servers online and that should help. And of course the problem was on their end the whole time.

One thing they did to prevent the double and sometimes triple charges if customers kept going through with orders was to decline transactions with the same dollar amount.

Plugin Contributions

This is still ongoing. Authorize.net is blaming the cart (still). All they sent was a screenshot of:

Array ( [0] => A matching lookup could not be found for this authorization (CartID : 71742) )

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There are 5 "parts" involved:

1. Your Zen Cart store.
    2. Your hosting server, the datacenter where it exists, and the related firewalls, both software and hardware.
    3. The internet connection between server and authorize.net.
    4. Authorize.net's use of Akamai CDN for distributed endpoint processing.
    5. Authorize.net's servers.

Breakdown:
    1. Assuming the software hasn't been altered in a way that causes problems, this is not the culprit. As far as I've seen, others using ZC aren't complaining.
    2. This is the likely culprit.
    3. Meh. Unlikely - probably speedy, or they'd be getting more complaints than you.
    4. Meh. Unlikely ... usually optimized for serious performance.
    5. They're denying it, which is reasonable, else they'd be flooded with thousands of other people complaining too.

Summary: I blame your hosting server, or its security systems or firewalls.
    There's no good reason for there to be a need for more than a 1-5 second connection time, even under the worst of conditions. But if your hosting company's collection of server/security/firewall/config is "off" then that could introduce painful delays.
    Of course, they'll deny it, because it's gonna be tough to investigate and diagnose. One of their senior techs is gonna have to carefully inspect all the infrastructure from the PHP, curl, ssl configs, thru the firewall, and more. They won't like that. Faster to move your account to another server they've got, such as one of their newest, with a newer fresher config and smarter more modern less-unnecessarily-restrictive configs.
    Or, they're gonna have to get down and dirty comfortable with a packet sniffer and maybe do some firewall traffic logging and analysis. It'll be tough to convince them to do that.

Acid test: move the site to another hosting company. (Yes, I know that's "involved". But, if you do it and the problem stops, then you've got a case for getting your money back from the current hosting company.) Faster/cheaper to get them to move you to a new better-configured server they control, at least as a starting test.