Plugin Contributions

Default Removing Countries

HI
    I just installed ZenCart and I am working my around it to learn it (moving over from Squirrelcart). I checked the FAQ's and forum to find an answer but so far no luck

Here is my question.
    I am on the page http://market-america.com/flIck-mFr-Index/countries.php?cID=18
    which list all the countries that you can ship to. The only country I ship to is the US.

I tried searching (3 different searches) on remove countries remove all countries ship only to one country

How do I remove all the other 245 countries from the shipping list other than doing one by one?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Removing Countries

When you say "the shipping list" are you referring to the options that are available in the admin from which to select things such as zones, or are you referring to the front end where a customer populates his/her ship to destination?

As a side note: do not actually remove the countries from the database. That causes more issues now or in the future than you can imagine. There are ways to control what is presented where 1) without mangling that table and 2) such that only the desired result is presented.

ALSO!!! Change your admin directory name as soon as you can. It should never be publicly published. I realize you just started using ZC, but that is something that should only be known to those that need to access it.
    Last edited by mc12345678; 12 Apr 2017 at 11:27 PM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

On that same screen, simply click to enable/disable various countries.
    Disabling a country will prevent its use for customer account registration and for shipping.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks

Is there a way to do this all at once rather than clicking on each one?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Homejames1 View Post
    Thanks

Is there a way to do this all at once rather than clicking on each one?
    Admin->tools->install sql patches:
    Code:
    update countries set status=0;
    Then go back in and click to enable the ones you want available.

Plugin Contributions

As I said I am new at ZC and have spent a few hours navigating through your instructions. I thought my question was simple. Let me try again A customer orders a product. I only ship to the US. There are 264 countries listed. How can I disable orders from the 263 I don't ship too?

Also you gave me some excellent advice: "ALSO!!! Change your admin directory name as soon as you can. It should never be publicly published. I realize you just started using ZC, but that is something that should only be known to those that need to access it." Being new I looked for a directory called Admin or something like it. Could not find. I assume you mean the directory flIck-mFr-Index Am I correct? Can I just make it password protected?

Plugin Contributions

thank you

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Homejames1 View Post
    As I said I am new at ZC and have spent a few hours navigating through your instructions. I thought my question was simple. Let me try again A customer orders a product. I only ship to the US. There are 264 countries listed. How can I disable orders from the 263 I don't ship too?

Also you gave me some excellent advice: "ALSO!!! Change your admin directory name as soon as you can. It should never be publicly published. I realize you just started using ZC, but that is something that should only be known to those that need to access it." Being new I looked for a directory called Admin or something like it. Could not find. I assume you mean the directory flIck-mFr-Index Am I correct? Can I just make it password protected?
    Actually, I can only assume that was the name of the directory in question, I had clicked on it after my initial reply and saw that it took me to the admin login. If that is the folder name that you have used (or remains in the link above) it is recommended by some to ALSO password protect it, but that is intended to serve as a SECOND means of security. By publishing the directory name and NOT renaming it, one method has been removed and now the password would serve as a primary means of security. Standard ZC software now-a-days is easy to address this, literally, rename the folder (distribute to those that need to have access) and the above initial issue is resolved. There is no complicated process after that. Plugins should respect the rename, the software should respect it, I only know of one plugin that suggests entering something somewhere that has/contains the admin directory's name and if you have just installed ZC and are becoming familiar with it, I do not suspect that you have installed that plugin.

So, again, the suggestion if you are going to include a password to protect the admin directory is to also change the folder name.

BTW, you are likely to see things like "go to your admin directory" or "go to YOUR_SECRET_ADMIN directory" or variations on that theme which is a way for others to suggest the main/primary location at which to go, but without knowing, asking, or otherwise discovering that directory. Just remember, no matter how tempted you might be to "fill in the blank" on that one, that it should not be posted. Not in text and not in pictures of problems related to operation.

On a similar note, you are likely to come across instructions/folders such as includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates which relates to the template override system where YOUR_TEMPLATE relates to the folder of the template that you are using. Add to that... I know a lot... It is advised that if you plan on making template related changes (there are many places in the system to do that), that you establish some sort of template directory that is not part of a default/fresh install... This way, your changes remain separate from those that are part of the standard install/upgrade path AND it maintains a method to test if an issue is a result of the current template or a modification to one of the more "core" files that do not directly support template overrides...

Lastly and I have no reason to think that you haven't, suggest thumbing through the FAQs of this website. At least read the titles of such "common" issues. That way, when you see a related symptom/issue, you'll at least have seen that it is addressed and possibly remember where... :) (Also, when you see someone else having an issue, it gives you a good opportunity to help them out as well. :) )

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Admin->tools->install sql patches:
    Code:
    update countries set status=0;
    really great answer, thanks