Plugin Contributions

help question DB size maintenance?

I do the regularly scheduled site backups, transaction csv backups, and db backups when the yellow notice appears on my admin page. My SQL file is +300 MB.

1. Does that or can that be cleaned up as a regular part of my periodic backup process?
    2. Do I just let it grow, grow, grow. That seems wrong. :-Z
    3. If there are things that can be exported and archived to skinny down the DB size, what's the process?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: DB size maintenance?

Do you have Email Archiving enabled? If so, you may want to pare that down too -- the Email Archive Manager plugin provides filters for that.

The Admin Activity Log also provides a means of exporting the activity log data to trim down the size.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by d0ugparker View Post
    1. Do I just let it grow, grow, grow. That seems wrong. :-Z
    i think data is most awesome. so other than logs which are not needed after a specific period of time, i am NOT a fan of purging data unless its causing a slowdown with your site. if the site speed is fine or the site speed is slow for some reason other than the size of your database, i would not purge data.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Part of regular maintenance also includes using phpMyAdmin on your database using, at page bottom: -> select all Tables -> With Selected: Optimize

That will Repair most problems, if the there any, and remove unwanted Overhead (last column on right).

Doing that once a month on average or whenever Overhead column shows in the MB, will help to keep the database lean and clean.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    Part of regular maintenance also includes using phpMyAdmin on your database using, at page bottom: -> select all Tables -> With Selected: Optimize

That will Repair most problems, if the there any, and remove unwanted Overhead (last column on right).

Doing that once a month on average or whenever Overhead column shows in the MB, will help to keep the database lean and clean.
    And you can do the same in Admin->Tools->Store Manager (no need to use phpMyAdmin unless actual repairs are required)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.