Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Product image won't load when clicked

Allright - I already posted this question once but might have done it in the wrong category. So I'll ask again and maybe more clearly this time.

I've started working for a shop that uses ZenCart on their website. I need help for getting new product images to work correctly. Currently when I add new products and images they don't load when clicked to see a bigger image.

You can see the problem here:
    http://www.fiinaneule.fi/kauppa/inde...th=1_3116_3117

Some images open correctly and some don't. Since I'm a new user I can't simply find the way how to make all my images to open in a pop-up window when clicked.

My question is - where do I fix this and how do I fix this? The large image files should be in the right folders on the server. This is why I'm guessing the trouble is somewhere in the link leading to the bigger image.

Which php file to edit? OR can I do this trough admin panel?

Please help this website newbie that's losing her mind. Thank you in advance!

-Marianna

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product image won't load when clicked

Using the link provided above, I can see that the (large) image for the second product cannot be found: Natura XL 03
    http://www. fiinaneule .fi/kauppa/images/large/langat/dmcnatural03_lrg.jpg (spaces added to prevent indexing)

When a Lightbox script, such as you are using, cannot find an image then the loading image will always show and never go away. Most likely same problem with other images having the same problem.

Plugin Contributions

Hey Rob,

thanks for answering! Sorry for posting this twice - won't do it again.

So do you have any advice how can I fix this? Trough which file I can get to my product images? Or is the fix somewhere else?

Thanks,
    Marianna

Plugin Contributions

I would presume the image is uploaded through the Lightbox script. Is this a problem you found when taking over site responsibilities? I noticed in your post you didn't state what version of Zen Cart is being used which makes me wonder how familiar you with Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Well you're absolutely right I'm a new user to ZenCart although I do have some previous experience with web design. I started working for a small shop that uses ZenCart on their website. The one I linked to you. So my usage for the program has only started this week.

The trouble is we're in the hurry to get new products to our website and this little issue has slowed our work down. Unfortunately I don't have any information about how the former employee has resolved this. For this reason I also haven't been able to provide information of the version that we're using. I can ofc find this out for you when I get back to work.

The situation is quite unusual and I'm doing my best to get the hang of this program as soon as possible. I'd imagine that the problem is quite black and white and easy to fix. It's just something I can't see behind all this new information.

Plugin Contributions

I feel your pain as being put in a "sink or swim" situation is more common than one might think, unfortunately, and we've all been there. Probably the fastest resolution to your problem is upload or copy the image to where the script thinks it should be.

At top of this page are links to FAQs and Wiki which you should spend some time on, to get a handle on how Zen Cart works. And the Forum is always here for the many questions you will have as you learn your way in using it.

Plugin Contributions

Alright I'll give it a go. Thanks a lot!

Plugin Contributions

Hi, I have had this problem a few times and I worked it out the be the length of the file name.
    Too long and it doesn't display..

Hope that

Plugin Contributions

Thanks a bunch! I don't think this is a problem we're having since some of the pictures work normally. But this is good to know! :)

Plugin Contributions

The most practical way to load new (or change) images is in the product add/edit area in the Admin Panel.

There are several RULES relating to images, and in order to have a website that LOOKS GOOD for customers, these "rules" should be followed uniformly for ALL product images on the website.

1. Use a GOOD IMAGE EDITOR. Adobe Photoshop is the professionals' choice - but is an expensive piece of software. There are other image editors out there, but you need to use one that can COMPRESS jpg files, yet retain a high level of quality.

2. Keep ALL images the same linear dimensions. On my websites, I make ALL product images as square 600px X 600px (or on some websites 480px X 480px). This ensures that when products are displayed by category - or as a list - the images are all the same size and ASPECT.

3. Compress the file (using the image editor software) to a resolution that keeps quality and sharpness, but compresses FILE-SIZE to as small as posssible.

4. IMAGE FILENAMES. Image file names should all be lower-case, with NO SPACES between words in the filename:
    EG: image-number-one.jpg (NOT: image Number One.JPG) The filename extension should be lowercase (.jpg and not .JPG)

5. Consider using IMAGE HANDLER PLUGIN. This optimises images and helps with overall image management on the website.

6. Do not use PNG, BMP, GIF type images - use ONLY .jpg .

Remember... oversize images and large filesize images are penalised by Google and other search engines for PAGESPEED reasons. (Go lookup PAGESPEED on Google).
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast