Plugin Contributions

help question Currency update: All but primary fail (after move to new host)

Zen Version: 1.5.1
    PHP Version: 5.6.30 (Zend: 2.6.0)
    My site: tubularwiremeshribbon . com

This site was just transferred to a new host via nameserver change. Post-transfer other site functions seem to be in order but when I attempt to manually update my currencies, all BUT the primary fail (Euro). Error messages are the same for each failed currency. First:
    Warning: The primary exchange rate server (ecb) failed for US Dollar (USD) - trying the secondary exchange rate server.
    And then:
    Error: The exchange rate for US Dollar (USD) was not updated via boc. Is it a valid currency code?
    Is there a setting adjustment needed for its new host?

Thanks for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Currency update: All but primary fail (after move to new host)

Almost don't know where to start with the list of questions because there are so many. ZC 1.5.1 released some 5 years ago was designed to work up to PHP 5.3.x. PHP 5.6 wasn't supported until the non-production released ZC 1.5.2 and to permit operation under 5.6 several core files required modification.

But, that said, I'm not specifically saying that php is the reason for the issue, but it does identify that effort has been taken to allow continued operation, so the question becomes how much of the system was/was not updated and why consideration is/has not been given to update the software to the latest version.

Another question is when did this feature last work? Did it work just before the name server change and now it doesn't?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your response. The feature last worked just before the nameserver change. And that being said, I should contact my new host to see what version PHP they are running on my account, as that could be the culprit.

Related question: I see there is an Automatic Currency Updates plugin with versions as far back as 1.3.9; If I installed and configured the 1.5.1 version of that plugin might it not resolve the issue for me?

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

So said that nameserver changed originally, but above say that also have a new host... these two things are typically different, perhaps you could elaborate more about this "move". What changed, what stayed the same?

As to the plugin, I haven't used it nor downloaded it for review, but the gist of it seems to indicate that all it does is periodically activate the existing ZC code to obtain the data that ZC would also look for. Thus the result would be the same thing.

That said, the plugin also indicates that it is not necessary for ZC 1.5.5 because of features added to ZC 1.5.5. Additionally there have been/were changes made to this area of the code in ZC 1.5.5 to better communicate/obtain data related to this transaction.

Plugin Contributions

Concerning the move: An exact copy of the site was installed at new host. The only changes were, of course, the details on the config file. After the transfer a LetsEncrypt SSL was installed and again the config file was adjusted accordingly.

All other aspects of the site seem to be functioning normally.

My new host has said that the current php version set for your tubularwiremeshribbon.com website is php5.6, so that shouldn't be the problem, correct?

Plugin Contributions

If everything else about the store is operational from manipulating product and other admin related functions to making a purchase then one could assume that the software had already been modified to support php 5.6. Also would depend on what php version was being used at the previous host.

Would suggest downgrading the php version to 5.3 if your current host supported it, but then you will have issues with logging in to the admin because of the differences in password encryption between the two versions now that the admin has been accessed through php 5.6.

Again would recommend reviewing the logs directory to see what, if any error logs are being generated by using php 5.6.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Argh. Don't patch it with an obsolete plugin like "Automatic Currencies" for an even older version. That's moving backwards.

The whole currency-rate update infrastructure was revamped in October 2015 as part of preparation for v1.5.5
    It uses CURL, with better error reporting if something goes wrong, and attempts to skip the often-throttled-or-disabled file_get_contents() calls many hosts put restrictions on. It also allows installing addons for alternate currency rate sources (if you actually upgrade to v1.5.5 or higher).

You can't benefit from these things if you don't upgrade ;)

You can EXPERIMENT with copying these files from v1.5.5 to your old v1.5.1 site. I think it'll work this way, but haven't tested it myself.
    1. /admin/includes/classes/currencies.php
    2. /includes/classes/currencies.php
    3. /admin/currencies.php
    4. /admin/includes/functions/localization.php
    5. Then add another special compatibility file:
    /admin/includes/functions/extra_functions/delete_after_v154_upgrade.php
    containing:
    Code:
    <?php
    // Delete this file after upgrading to v1.5.4 or higher
    function zen_record_admin_activity() {
    // this does nothing until v1.5.4, so delete this after upgrading to/above v1.5.4
    }

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

And don't downgrade PHP versions. Upgrade your Zen Cart.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Argh. Don't patch it with an obsolete plugin like "Automatic Currencies" for an even older version. That's moving backwards.

The whole currency-rate update infrastructure was revamped in October 2015 as part of preparation for v1.5.5
    It uses CURL, with better error reporting if something goes wrong, and attempts to skip the often-throttled-or-disabled file_get_contents() calls many hosts put restrictions on. It also allows installing addons for alternate currency rate sources (if you actually upgrade to v1.5.5 or higher).

You can't benefit from these things if you don't upgrade ;)

You can EXPERIMENT with copying these files from v1.5.5 to your old v1.5.1 site. I think it'll work this way, but haven't tested it myself.
    1. /admin/includes/classes/currencies.php
    2. /includes/classes/currencies.php
    3. /admin/currencies.php
    4. /admin/includes/functions/localization.php
    5. Then add another special compatibility file:
    /admin/includes/functions/extra_functions/delete_after_v154_upgrade.php
    containing:
    Code:
    <?php
    // Delete this file after upgrading to v1.5.4 or higher
    function zen_record_admin_activity() {
    // this does nothing until v1.5.4, so delete this after upgrading to/above v1.5.4
    }
    Great, that seemed to do the trick. Thanks Doc :)