Thread: ZC v154 php 7

Plugin Contributions

Default ZC v154 php 7

Hi

We have a zen cart 154 running fine on php 5.6.30. The host has given notice that they are removing this version php and moving to php 7. The 154 cart doesn't work correctly with php 7....paypal breaks. Are there any patches or fixes that would make it play nice with php7 without going through a full upgrade?

Is there a serious problem with php 5.6.30 to cause a host to remove it as an option? I see other hosts allowing to choose between several php versions.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZC v154 php 7

The official way to get compatible with PHP 7 is to upgrade to at least v1.5.5e

PHP 7 does run much faster than PHP 5.x

PHP 5.6 is no longer supported by the PHP Developers: http://php.net/supported-versions.php (just security updates for a few months)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The official way to get compatible with PHP 7 is to upgrade to at least v1.5.5e

PHP 7 does run much faster than PHP 5.x

PHP 5.6 is no longer supported by the PHP Developers: http://php.net/supported-versions.php (just security updates for a few months)

oh I see. Thanks, that's not good news for the shop owner because it was upgraded to 154 not all that long ago....maybe a 1.5 yr or so ago. Well, better go break it to them.

Plugin Contributions

Security Updates for PHP 5.6 will be available until 31 Dec 2018, so it's safe to use. PHP have extended this to give developers more time to adapt.

From a hosting perspective, it's really simple these days to offer older PHP versions.

There are 2 ways to do so:

(1) CloudLinux offers a PHP version switch with their own hardened PHP versions (security fixes are backported) https://www.cloudlinux.com/hardenedphp

(2) cPanel now offer MultiPHP in Easy Apache 4 https://blog.cpanel.com/5-reasons-yo...-easyapache-4/

I'm using cPanel MultiPHP on our servers now, a) because it's much easier to in cPanel for end users and b) CloudLinux have advised that they will stop developing their own plugin once cPanel achieves feature parity, so long term the cPanel MultiPHP is the preferred method.

PHP 7.x is much better, but if you need to keep using PHP 5.6 then it's a safe choice. I'm surprised that your host forces PHP 7.0 now, if I did this, half the sites we host would break, not just ZC.

Best regards, Edith

Plugin Contributions

thanks much for the info Edith. I'm surprised the host would do this too. It puts an undo expense burden on the site owner.