Default nesting containers for styling problem sending lal la [5.5e responsive ]

Hi Folks
    I am currently exploring making the 5.5e responsive template look like my old static one[5.4].
    boy it's a lot more tricky the than the standard one! [i can usually muddle along ok]
    the bit that has got me stumped is trying to replicate the border around the page
    see here: http://www.fishforart.co.uk/
    I originally just nested divs so i could fill and border easily. trying the same approach again has
    not resulted in success i can for the life of work out how to nest the whole lot in another container
    without interfering with the sizing properties the best fit meant the the page as a whole scaled.
    i tried guessing a messing around but ended up getting the flow but parenting the centremaincontent
    to the new container meaning it was 75% of the container size not the whole page, well the header
    and footer were ok.
    If any of this made sense a pointer or two would be appreciated.
    feeling a bit of dumbo for wasting so much time on it at the mo

regards

M

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: nesting containers for styling problem sending lal la [5.5e responsive ]

Not sure what you mean by "border". I see several "borders"...

Most of these issues are changed in the CSS file(s). If you use FIREFOX browser with the Developer Toolkit by Chris Pederick, you can identify the CSS ID's and Classes, and then edit the CSS to give you the style you are after. Bear in mind the parent-child relationships in CSS, and the fact that styles load chronologically - so if a style is declared early in the CSS, then re-declared later for the same component, the later declaration will apply.

When I changed to responsive templates (using various Picaflor Azul templates), I basically just changed colours. The layout changed quite radically, but I got no messages from customers saying "Oh my God... ! ... I can't shop at your site anymore because the borders have gone."

Also... when rendering on mobile devices you want stuff to be as lean as possible - so keeping design parameters simple is best.

Finally... if you are spending hours and hours worrying about whether there is a border or not, then you are spending less time on what matters... attracting customers and getting sales.
    20 years a Zencart User

Default Re: nesting containers for styling problem sending lal la [5.5e responsive ]

Thanks for your reply,

"Finally... if you are spending hours and hours worrying about whether there is a border or not, then you are spending less time on what matters... attracting customers and getting sales."

I do tend to get a bit ocd at times and your very good point was ringing in my head when i was wrestling with minutia like a 1 px line..
    as you say the customers are not going to give a jot.

I intended to update the look at some point, so have installed a picaflor-azul template to use a base to work with and not try to re invent the wheel.

I currently use the IE dev tools, not tried the mozzila, have to give that one a whirl.

hope you are enjoying the boiling weather.

m