Plugin Contributions

Default access xampp web site from other PC on local network

I have recently loaded the XAMPP package on a Win2000 test machine and set up Zen Cart 1.3.8a. Everything is working fine. I wanted to access this test web site from another windows machine on my local home network. When I try to access the test web site from another machine I get the XAMPP welcome screen but when I try to access my Zen Cart store I get "Object not found!" error 404. If I enter machinename/store from the remote machine I get a list of links along the left side of my screen that relates to the information that appears on my store. When I click on one of the links I get "File not found Firefox can’t find the file at http://example.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66&zenid=126e49c4239e6298412ac0a5f272deb0."

I know there must be a setting in the Apache web server configuration file but I'm not sure what it is. Can anyone direct me to documentation that will tell me what changes to the configuration file I need to make? Thanks in advance.

George

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: access xampp web site from other PC on local network

Google access xampp from another____ and fill in the blank.

BUT what in the world made you decide on 1.3.8a

https://www.zen-cart.com/latest for the current 1.5.5a

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the information. I'm using V1.3.8a because it works on my Win2000 machine. I will be looking at the latest version of ZC to see if it will run on Win2000 to test my current project. I know Win2000 is ancient but it works well for me and I have a number of machines on which to test.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gtmercier View Post
    Thanks for the information. I'm using V1.3.8a because it works on my Win2000 machine. I will be looking at the latest version of ZC to see if it will run on Win2000 to test my current project. I know Win2000 is ancient but it works well for me and I have a number of machines on which to test.
    FYI, the server version (Win2000) isn't going to be a problem - Any problems that you might experience will be related to the application versions deployed on the server (specifically, MySQL & PHP). IOW, as long as you have the latest XAMPP installed then you shouldn't have any problems running the latest Zencart.

As for accessing the server from other hosts on the LAN, this isn't just an apache configuration setting, and there are two ways to make this work.

Method#1. In the zencart config settings, use the IP address of the server rather than the hostname - and access it using this IP address.

or use a hostname instead of an IP address:
    Method#2. On each of the lan host machines add an entry to the 'host' file so that when you type in the hostname of the zencart server the name will resolve to the IP address.

In either case, the apache/zencart server much be configured to listen on port#80 of the Lan IP address (not 'localhost').

Cheers
    RodG