Plugin Contributions

Default Unregistered purchases

I have a situation where I don't intend to store customer specific data of any sort.
    Is ZenCart a viable solution for this scenario?

The customer experience is simply: choose a product, pay it and give a one time delivery address.
    If she/he comes back tomorrow, same thing.

Typically number of customers and daily gross sales are to be stored.

Please feel free to comment on my plan.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Unregistered purchases

Quote Originally Posted by kalastaja View Post
    I have a situation where I don't intend to store customer specific data of any sort.

The customer experience is simply: choose a product, pay it and give a one time delivery address.

Bad plan.

What if the product goes missing in the mail, or if a customer decided to dispute the sale with PP or their credit card company? What if the customer accidentally gave a wrong delivery address? (it happens).

Unless you have some kind of record of the customer and order details you are basically liable for any losses/disputes.

If you are going to accept CC payments you *must* retain some certain information for PCI compliance anyway.

Having said that, yes, Zencart does have means and methods to allow a 'guest' checkout - So from the customer perspective, there isn't any 'customer specific data' being stored, and if they 'come back tomorrow' they will need to do the 'same thing'.

If you *really* don't want to keep any trace of 'customer specific data' you can always edit/delete the records/data at a later time.. ie, after you have allowed enough time for the order to be received and not subject to dispute).

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Point(s) taken.
    This however is to be a kind of local COD shop, displaying the merchandise
    to the potential customer, who will fetch the product. I do understand that
    a lot of functionality becomes obsolete, but doing it from scratch is not an
    option.

Plugin Contributions

Rod or anybody?

Is my plan really that bad, that comments are unnecessary.

Plugin Contributions

Rod or anybody?

Is my plan really that bad, that comments are unnecessary.
    You can use different mods like, Cash on Pickup, COWOA and others to setup your shop or code something that works for you... Each country has different rules on doing business and that's something your have to figure out which is what RodG was pointing out to you.

To pay on-line, ship products, which is what COD means to me Cash on Delivery is the shipper getting the money for you. Cash on Pickup would bypass the need to ship or pay on-line. COWAA would pass the need for account creation with possibly some changes for COP..

Then your would also need to decide if the customer would get frustrated if they had to enter contact info each time they bought from you.. After all, that's what accounts are for, returning customers just log in and all contact info is done which sends them on there way..
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Plugin Contributions

Also like to point out that from the customer/account perspective, everything that is collected above is all that is necessary for an account and also what is needed to process the transaction. Not having that data at least long enough to handle the transaction (put in "the mail" or hand the product over) means that no transaction from the store to the customer would occur.

Some of the discussion here has been about the customer experience and how it can be shaped to give what seems to be requested above in the OP. Some other discussion/suggestions have been about "business requirements".

But, these two concepts do not seem to be clearly described independently or how they are expected to work together. Could you please explain a little more about this "customer" will "fetch" the product?
    Are you saying that you will have a computer in a business place, on the computer, one can browse and select product, pay for the product on site, and have it sent to a location for delivery and basically all is done?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...