Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Goofed up templates. Can I reload orig ZC files without having to re-install store?

I've been working on a new install of ZC 1.5.5e. Did things backwards and completed several configuration things as well as adding in paypal express, fed ex shipping, group pricing modules and low order fee. THEN discovered I should have been doing all this via a template. Tried to create a template off of default_template, but turns out I'd made all the changes to responsive template. THEN in the midst of all of this, most of the changes to responsive template are somehow missing BUT the plugins are still there.

At this point I'm nervous about continuing when I don't know which files in which directories have been affected.

Is there a way to simply copy all original zencart files back to three main templates (default, responsive, and classic) and start over WITHOUT having to reinstall store or affect my database? I'd lose my plugins but I did take very good notes and could hopefully replicate their install with a minimum of trouble.

If so, which files should I copy?
    Also, any other suggestions for this?

PS If I have to reinstall group pricing (per item) plugin, will that goof up all the items that have already been group priced per item in my database? Or will the DB read the plugin?

Thx.
    Last edited by lindagal2; 7 Aug 2017 at 03:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Goofed up templates. Can I reload orig ZC files without having to re-install stor

Let's back up a sec ...

If you've been making direct edits to the responsive_classic template files, then ... well, you have a few options:

a) "purist":
    i) rename all the "responsive_classic" folders to "linda"
    ii) then copy the original responsive_classic folders from a fresh copy of Zen Cart files

b) "maverick":
    Just carry on. Forget that the "override" capability for custom templates even exists, and just keep editing files in-place.
    Note that whenever you're installing plugins, or doing future upgrades, you'll want to carefully merge your customizations of these files instead of just blindly replacing them. (And this careful merging is something you need to do *anyway*; the override folders just give you a sort of built-in pseudo-backups.)

So, really, no need to panic.
    Either approach is fine.

And definitely doesn't need a complete re-install.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Goofed up templates. Can I reload orig ZC files without having to re-install stor

LOL ... THANK you.

I think I'd feel better with the purist approach.

Question: You mention copying the original "responsive_classic" folders from a fresh copy of zen cart. I have the original 1.5.5e files from my install. Can I simply upload them or do have to do an install in another directory and copy the "responsive_classic" folders over from and installed copy of ZenCart ?

And would re-installing my plugins affect the "group pricing per item" that I have already priced?

Plugin Contributions

PS Just thought of something. To clarify ... I have been making direct edits to whatever ZenCart's default install template is. I did not change to responsive template. However, when I tried to create a custom template from the default_template directory, the files were NOT what had been showing in the store previously. Then I discovered that the responsive_template (with the blue interface) was what I ***probably** had been using. So I'm not sure what files I've changed since the install or whether they are all in the responsive template directory.

Plugin Contributions

Please ... one more clarification re creating a template based on Responsive Classic template because there are a LOT of conflicting instructions ...

Under the template tutorial it tells me to copy CSS files from the "template_default" directory into my CUSTOM template folder. However, I am using Responsive Classic template (which zencart defaulted to ... I didn't choose it, but like it and want to continue using it). I assumed since ZC defaulted to that view, those files would also be under "template_default" but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Nearly all the tutorials tell me to simply copy the CSS files from template_default, create a common, images, sideboxes, and templates file, then copy the template_info.php file over and voila ... only other files needed are those I wish to override.

HOWEVER, when I did that, it did not work. The layout was quite different from responsive_classic. Instead, I had to copy all the css files from responsive_classic. Moreover, one tutorial told if basing my template on "responsive_classic" to also copy the jscript folder/files ... and yet another tutorial told me if I'm COPYING a template, I need to copy ALL the files in that template.

So ... even though ZC defaulted to "responsive_classic" when I installed it, those files do not appear (to me at least) to be in the "template_default" folder. So am I COPYING the entire responsive_classic directory to base my custom template on it? Or am I just copying the jscript files and then anything else I customize for an override directory?

Please help!

PS I found the files I've previously edited using the search function in the developer's toolkit. I didn't keep notes on where those files were located -- just changed them. (Bad practice ... and yes, I will do better now). So some files could be from default_template, some from "responsive_classic" I simply do not know. I am starting the customization process over but need to know what files to copy before I can do anything. Thx.
    Last edited by lindagal2; 7 Aug 2017 at 06:49 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Find out what template is being used: Admin -> Tools -> Template Selection

Once you know that you will know the template path. To find out what files you changed you can use Developers Tool Kit which will show some file paths and also within your FTP program look at the Time Stamp for files, newest will be the ones you uploaded.

Documenting all changes in Admin, template files and modules installed is always a good habit to get into, the sooner the better.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Rob. Okay, I *am* using responsive_classic. And one more wrinkle. When I copy the css, image and jscript directories from "responsive_classic" (as well as creating a common, sideboxes, and templates directory), then copy the template_info.php file over and edit (making sure there are no quotes or commas misplaces -- I only added the word custom in front of responsive_template) ..... I get a blank page on the store.

The *only* change I made was to add the word custom, so I don't think it's the common culprits like using quote marks, etc. (and I even tried it NOT editing the template_info.php file) I've deleted and restarted multiple times with the same result ... and ONLY when working with responsive_classic. (The site is viewed just fine if I based everything off of default_emplate).

So am I not copying enough over from "responsive_template"? I'm just about ready to abandon it and hammer on "default_template" but thought I'd ask y'all one more time in case this was something glaringly obvious.

Plugin Contributions

Now that you know what template is being used you want to get a working site, front-end and back-end. Do what does it take to get to that point--without customizing anything. Only once you have that can you start to customize, knowing what you are working with and from where.

Plugin Contributions

It works just fine in responsive_classic. I am trying to create a template so I can make changes to responsive_classic. I can copy files from default_template to a new CUSTOM folder and everything works just fine following the ZC tutorials. When I attempt the same thing by copying files from responsive_classic to a new CUSTOM template, I get a blank page.

EDIT: Site works fine with any of the included templates (responsive, classic, etc)

Plugin Contributions

Haven't read the Tutorial you mention but I do know this, in 'template_info.php' for your Custom Template you must edit this line:

$template_name = 'Custom Template';

You must then switch to that template as well.

And why copy files from the 'template_default' when you are using 'responsive_classic' which is what you should be copying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast