Thread: same banner

Plugin Contributions

Default same banner

If I turn on banner_box2 and banner_box, they both ALWAYS have the exact same banner. Is this right?

Is this a setting or just a ZenCart thing?

ZenCart v1.5.5e
    Apache server (Hostmatters)
    PHP 5.6.31 (Zend: 2.6.0)
    MySQL 5.6.37
    About_us page
    dbio 1.3.0
    MainImageReplacer-v1.0
    Image_Handler4_v4.3.2

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: same banner

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

No. The bannersall shows all the banners assigned. I just want two different ones in the side box and one in the footer. I have not yet figured out how the sidebox actually picks the banner yet. I will eventually figure it out, either through trial and error (lots of that going on - backup good!) and/or through some insight from the forum.

Also, I like the "Sponsors" and "Have you seen" titles for the two sideboxes.

The footer one is fine, it is different. the sidebox (banner_box and banner_box2) are identical.

Is there a way to tell the banner_box_all just to display 2 banners?

Plugin Contributions

I don't wish to downplay the power nor the complexity of the banner system, not make it seem too overwhelming.

Short answer is yes it could be that the same banner(s) be displayed in multiple "locations".

I just recently was trying to add a new banner to a site that technically had just 1 at the position to which I was trying to add it. But the group to which the banner was associated was assigned to more than one location on the site. Each time I refreshed the catalog page I could see in the admin that the display count increased, but I wasn't visually seeing the banner.

So you say that banner_box and banner_box2 both are showing the same content. Well, if those are in fact sideboxes, then their code needs to be unique enough to not reuse data in the second one that was collected to support the first which includes possibly needing to clear a query cache when querying for the second box.

If you're talking about some other position on the page type banner, the layout settings section identifies which banner group(s) are associated with a position. Therefore, if the same group is in two positions it could be possible that the same banner would appear in both.

As to the banner_box_all only displaying 2 banners, it appears to me from reading (possibly misinterpreting) the above linked document that it would only be possible if there were only 2 banners in total. Sorry if I'm wrong about that.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Fixed.

The banner box_all can be modified to show only two banners. Did it.

However, from a previous post I was looking at, >banner->MoveNext()< placed in tpl_banner_box.php placed as the first line of the if statement does what I want.
    Last edited by IATIA; 13 Aug 2017 at 06:00 AM.