Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help to do an upgrade from 1.5.0 to 1.5.5

Hope that makes sense, if not please try to explain what you understood and ask about what you didn't. :)
    I think I understand but I'll have to come back to it when the time comes. Right now, I am doing a "dry run". Figuring out what I have to do, what mods I will need (some change, some might no longer be compatible, some might replace older ones, etc.), how to install them (better test than sorry), and take notes of everything I need to do, steps, files, etc. so that it will be faster when the time comes for the real deal. :)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    If i am good to go, i have another more general question that will pertain to all my mods afterward.

In many cases, there are instructions to change the MY_TEMPLATE name to the actual template i am using. In the test site, I am not using anything other than the default, so in that case, what is the name i should use to replace MY_TEMPLATE? Is it "classic" (which seems to show everywhere) or "template_default" or all of the above?

One minor reason i wanted this upgrade was for an opportunity to have a responsibe theme (to please Google). But, i don't like those new themes. My audience is quite used to the old looks and the new ones are way too different. So I might just tweak the default theme (there is still a lot of customization that can be done!)
    Save yourself trouble and plan now.

Having an existing functional, untouched template offers a comparison point to which to return if needed. Ideally you copy (clone) the template of choice and from there make changes to it. There's a FAQ also on the template override system as well as a "plugin" (document containing information about the override system that does not get installed to your store).

There are cases of installing things to the template_default directory, but generally speaking if the file already exists as part of the original fileset AND the file exists in a location where it can be overridden, it is or can be a better idea to place it in the template override folder. There's a lot of discussion of this throughout the forum, and some more so that ZC 1.6.0 is firming up and it looks like a ZC 1.5.6 is just around the corner. With all of the changes in php (unrelated to the designers/maintainers of ZC) plugins are being updated to remain functional and so "everyone" is trying to put their best foot forward in keeping the functionality.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

and it looks like a ZC 1.5.6 is just around the corner.
    Oh no!!! ;)

OK so following your suggestion, i should find a template now, tweak it now so i can also use it later. Ok, makes sense.
    Now, i see in my files that i downloaded trublu template a long time ago and i remember changing the name to cc in my installation (not sure why, maybe following some instructions at one point??) I see it is still available on the site but nothing recent. How do i know if it will be responsive? Unless it is just a matter of zencart 1.5.5 having to be responsive and the theme will just follow?

Plugin Contributions

You can use lat9's Clone a Template to clone the responsive_classic template. None of the others are responsive so, you'd be adding another large layer of work if you didn't. I'd suggest cloning BEFORE making changes

Once you clone the responsive, you may want to look at our Color Change Mod. It makes color selection far easier when tweaking the site.

Plugin Contributions

You can use lat9's Clone a Template to clone the responsive_classic template. None of the others are responsive so, you'd be adding another large layer of work if you didn't. I'd suggest cloning BEFORE making changes
    So, the "responsive_classic" template is installed by default, and by cloning it, I would be creating my "own" version, correct?

Plugin Contributions

yep

Plugin Contributions

Then, I must be missing something.
    I downloaded the plugin (thanks lat9).
    Checked the instructions and there is only a list of files to copy. Nothing else.
    Where do I indicate what template I want to clone? Am I supposed to run something?

Plugin Contributions

I think I understand but I'll have to come back to it when the time comes. Right now, I am doing a "dry run". Figuring out what I have to do, what mods I will need (some change, some might no longer be compatible, some might replace older ones, etc.), how to install them (better test than sorry), and take notes of everything I need to do, steps, files, etc. so that it will be faster when the time comes for the real deal. :)
    Ultimately when it comes time for the real deal, the transition should/could be smooth. Plugins that have an auto-installer hopefully will automatically run and upgrade the database to contain what is needed to maintain operation of the plugin, those that have sql commands to be run could be combined into a single "file". If you have adjusted admin configuration settings to something specific you could add those changes to your file or just re-perform the change(s). But the files... they should be as desired/needed so that all you have to do is repeat database/admin changes. This is not exactly the time to modify say product descriptions other than to "learn" what is needed to be done to the live site. Goal right now in my opinion (everyone has one) is to establish the site as functional to the extent needed to maintain operation. With regards to your template and a possible change in look, let your customers know what good/big things you're up to. They may appreciate the change, at least when it comes they will know about it and won't be surprised. Unannounced change can raise questions about why or cause to question what else is going on that hasn't been discussed and how it might impact them, etc...

Plugin Contributions

Oh no!!! ;)

OK so following your suggestion, i should find a template now, tweak it now so i can also use it later. Ok, makes sense.
    Now, i see in my files that i downloaded trublu template a long time ago and i remember changing the name to cc in my installation (not sure why, maybe following some instructions at one point??) I see it is still available on the site but nothing recent. How do i know if it will be responsive? Unless it is just a matter of zencart 1.5.5 having to be responsive and the theme will just follow?
    Again, everyone has an opinion. Mine is that yes if you are going to install plugins that also interface with a template that at minimum you create a separate directory into which the template will be merged/installed, it could be named cc, YOUR_TEMPLATE, whatever you want, it's just that at least for now a plugin's modification is likely best to be in some template override folder.

A template generally affects what visitors see and not the overall operation of the store. Yes ZC 1.5.5 comes with a responsive template, but it also comes with one that is not. It is possible to take a non-responsive template and make it responsive with the responsive template plugin that is in the plugins section. Its possible to take one of the existing responsive templates and work it to be fully functional with ZC 1.5.5, its possible to take an old template and manipulate it to be compatible and then to use the responsive plugin to make it responsive, etc... Every one of these comes with its own lesson to be learned and modifications to be made. Ideally you would be able to see a sample of the template(s) and then select from there of which one(s) you might want to tackle... If the template is from this forum, there is likely to be a thread about it. Suggest going to the end of such thread and working backwards to when the last update was provided to get an idea of what issues exist and how they were overcome and what changes were made from the previous version to get it where it is. Kind of goes with any plugin. Instructions, readmes, docs, _docs etc.. should exist to help describe how to use and/or install the plugin. Suggest reading through those first and then after that doesn't seem to sink in, approaching the forum, reviewing for similar question and when not found, then asking preferably with explanation of what has been done to try to understand and then what is not understood.

Plugin Contributions

I already have some questions for "when the time comes", but there is no point in asking yet, as the information will just get buried.

My plan, for now, was just to get all the functionalities I need to work, and they look to be what I can live with to start. After that, if I need tweaking, I'll have a test platform for it so i can go slowly as time will be available. Right now, i am off work for a couple of weeks so that was my main focus.

For trying other templates, it seems hard as half of those in the repository don't have a demo or preview so it is hard to know what they look like and if they will fit my existing previews and such, which is why, if i can get a site that is similar enough to what i have, I'll be happy.

Now, trying to figure out that Clone a template thing.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast