Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Stock by Attributes Issues

I am running v1.5.5e on a home server to try and build my store without wasting money by hosting somewhere. I have been trying to install Stock By Attributes plugin (v1.5.3) without any success. I have tried all three that are in the download section and they all do the same thing. Here's what I did.

1st Attempt: I copied and merged the admin and includes files into my zencart installation. When I refresh my admin or try to run stock_by_attr_install.php, I get a blank screen that will sit there and do nothing.

2nd Attempt: I restored my zencart to original by copying the admin and includes file from the orginal files, which fixed getting back admin. It also left stock_by_attr_install.php. When I go to my admin/stock_by_attr_install.php, I get a special screen which looks like I can install it by running a script. However, it too makes it so all I get is a blank screen again that will sit there.

3rd Attempt: I restore Zencart again, and then decided to try path the SQL database manually. I got a few commands to work, but most error out. I'm not sure what to do from here.

All this effort and I'm not even sure if it will solve the problem I'm trying to get done. I am building a model train store and I need attributes for scale, paint details, individual stock for each item, and a few more attributes that need to be linked to each other. I've tried doing this out of the box and cannot get it to function properly. It let me add the attributes to the product, but when it comes to selecting a product, it gets really screwy and lets me add the wrong scale to the wrong paint detail and it doesn't catch it. I've been trying to get this built since 2003 and have tried several e-commerce engines, and none of them lets me do it the way I want. I have kept coming back to Zencart hoping things have changed with the new versions. It would be so much easier if Stock By Attributes was already in the core install. Hopefully someone can help me figure it out. Thanks ahead of time.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Stock by Attributes Issues

If you take a look at the support thread, there is an updated location at which to obtain SBA for use on ZC versions 1.5.1 and above (link: https://github.com/mc12345678/Stock_...butes_Combined). This has not been loaded to the ZC forum because the existing instruction shows/expresses limitations that do not exist and are not correct to gain the most from the plugin.

For further discussion including an action needed at this time as described at the end of the below described thread, please continue in the thread identified at the plugin's download page: https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=202
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

If you have been attempting for 14 years it may be time to either hire some programming help or reconsider what you are trying to do.

Why not just create a separate product page for every item? I know that seems like overkill (I use SBA on one site and regular on another), but most websites are set up that way - including Amazon (they do it both ways.)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lindasdd View Post
    If you have been attempting for 14 years it may be time to either hire some programming help or reconsider what you are trying to do.

Why not just create a separate product page for every item? I know that seems like overkill (I use SBA on one site and regular on another), but most websites are set up that way - including Amazon (they do it both ways.)
    One reason is one of the manufacturers uses Zencart and this is how they set up their site. I find it absolutely annoying to look through their shop as it is the most inefficient way of setting it up. They have several products that are exactly the same with different size, color, etc. and a separate page for each one. While I'm not really a programmer, I have tinkered with it. I haven't been in too much of a hurry as I am struggling to even find suppliers that will sell to you without having a brick and mortar shop. I just want to be prepared once I'm ready to take that step and knowing it will function the way I want it to. Hiring a programmer isn't out of the question, but as it is on my home server and not accessible through the internet as I tinker with it, they would have to be local to be able to come program it. I don't know if there are any programmers anywhere located close enough to me to make this possible. It is also the issue of spending money on something that I feel I should be able to get working on my own. I'm just surprised that the functionality of the attributes has pretty much remained the same over so many years. Even the few that tried to improve it by a variants plugin (which seems to do exactly the same thing) haven't figured out a better way to fix an issue like this.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by imagineeratheart View Post
    One reason is one of the manufacturers uses Zencart and this is how they set up their site. I find it absolutely annoying to look through their shop as it is the most inefficient way of setting it up. They have several products that are exactly the same with different size, color, etc. and a separate page for each one. While I'm not really a programmer, I have tinkered with it. I haven't been in too much of a hurry as I am struggling to even find suppliers that will sell to you without having a brick and mortar shop. I just want to be prepared once I'm ready to take that step and knowing it will function the way I want it to. Hiring a programmer isn't out of the question, but as it is on my home server and not accessible through the internet as I tinker with it, they would have to be local to be able to come program it. I don't know if there are any programmers anywhere located close enough to me to make this possible. It is also the issue of spending money on something that I feel I should be able to get working on my own. I'm just surprised that the functionality of the attributes has pretty much remained the same over so many years. Even the few that tried to improve it by a variants plugin (which seems to do exactly the same thing) haven't figured out a better way to fix an issue like this.
    As said in post #2, the version that will be submitted to ZC as Stock By Attributes upon completion of the instruction which currently identifies unnecessary limitations is available at https://github.com/mc12345678/Stock_...butes_Combined. It is expected to work on ZC versions 1.5.1 and up. If there is an issue with it, please post at the thread associated in the readme file.

Plugin Contributions

New Install ZC 1.5.7c. Using old install instructions (do not see upgraded instructions). There is no includes/modules in the download I have (guess it is an undocumented change). Ran install, used Full DB, and did not get "Sucess message". Returned to Admin Home. Menu did not have stock by attributes. This is a virgin install, no modifications using "Responsive Classic" template that comes with 1.5.7c. Did I miss something???

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tedjmaines View Post
    New Install ZC 1.5.7c. Using old install instructions (do not see upgraded instructions). There is no includes/modules in the download I have (guess it is an undocumented change). Ran install, used Full DB, and did not get "Sucess message". Returned to Admin Home. Menu did not have stock by attributes. This is a virgin install, no modifications using "Responsive Classic" template that comes with 1.5.7c. Did I miss something???
    Not much about the process has changed. Latest files are still on github. There's no 1_5_7/includes/modules directory, because there's no longer a need to override the attributes.php file. All operations are capable through the ZC 1.5.7 version of the file.

So, ran the full install and didn't get a success... That means there should have been some other message and information about what the problem is/was...

Plugin Contributions

I reloaded with a virgin 1.5.7c and Ran install, used Full DB, and did not get "Success message". Returned to Admin Home. Menu did not have stock by attributes. This is a virgin install, no modifications using "Responsive Classic" template that comes with 1.5.7c. I check log and it showed that stock by attributes install file was called but warning nor errors. THis is with a Chrome browser. Ran with Firefox and it works great.... Lucky me... Thanks for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tedjmaines View Post
    I reloaded with a virgin 1.5.7c and Ran install, used Full DB, and did not get "Success message". Returned to Admin Home. Menu did not have stock by attributes. This is a virgin install, no modifications using "Responsive Classic" template that comes with 1.5.7c. I check log and it showed that stock by attributes install file was called but warning nor errors. THis is with a Chrome browser. Ran with Firefox and it works great.... Lucky me... Thanks for the help.
    Again, an opportunity to identify the potential issue was lost. When the first install did not provide a success response, scrolling down on the screen would show what was unsuccessful. There is nothing about the code that is browser dependent (at least nothing that would change a potentially successful install into a failing one). Based on what has been provided, I would say that the second attempt (even though using a different browser) was needed to complete successfully.

It would be nice to know what needs to be corrected if willing to try that process again. I thought I had done it several times already and worked out anything that might have been an issue.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Again, an opportunity to identify the potential issue was lost. When the first install did not provide a success response, scrolling down on the screen would show what was unsuccessful. There is nothing about the code that is browser dependent (at least nothing that would change a potentially successful install into a failing one). Based on what has been provided, I would say that the second attempt (even though using a different browser) was needed to complete successfully.
    I repeated this again with Chrome browser and zc157c. Ran install script. Displayed Admin page. NO MESSAGE ON SCROLL DOWN. No menu items. No error in log. Switched to FireFox and ran Full install. No Errors and works fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast